Doesn't SSH come with jailbraking your iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 29, 2007
I always remembered having SSH when you jailbreak your iPhone but for some reason I do not have it. I was using Fugu and it was denying my access so I thought SSH was turned off and I had no icon. So I went to mobilefinder and its not even there.

How can I get SSH and turn it on then if I am already jailbroken?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
You can install either uictl, iToggle, Services or Network Services. This gives you the ability to turn SSH on and off. If it doesn't show up in whichever of these you install then you don't have SSH installed for some reason. If that's the case, just install OpenSSH from Installer.

SSH does come installed if you jailbreak 1.1.1 or 1.1.2. The icon only showed up if you were jailbreaking 1.1.2.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
You can install either uictl, iToggle, Services or Network Services. This gives you the ability to turn SSH on and off. If it doesn't show up in whichever of these you install then you don't have SSH installed for some reason. If that's the case, just install OpenSSH from Installer.

SSH does come installed if you jailbreak 1.1.1 or 1.1.2. The icon only showed up if you were jailbreaking 1.1.2.
I strongly suggest that Network Services app. I had had poor battery life ever since I jailbroke my phone months ago and I could never figure out why. Only recently I realized that SSH had constantly been on draining battery, even though I only used it once every few days. Once I installed Network Services, I was able to finally turn off SSH and my battery life is almost doubled now. Now I only turn it on for a few minutes at a time when I actually need it.