Dog sitting for a stranger...

H

Hayesimus

So my good friend, Anne, called me the other day and was really wanting to find someone to watch a dog for her friend, Lacey, for two weeks. Now while I probably don't need to, I said sure. :S Anyway, the dog is gonna be here soon. So... have you ever dog sat or house sat for anyone?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
2 weeks is a long time, i there have been MANY trips that i have put off because of my dog.. i have not sat for a dog but i have left my dog for 3 days and that was hard on me..

H

Hayesimus

yeah i'm sure i could find someone to watch my dog for a short while. But 2 weeks is sorta a long time. But I don't guess I really mind. It'll be nice to have another critter runnin around.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
So my good friend, Anne, called me the other day and was really wanting to find someone to watch a dog for her friend, Lacey, for two weeks. Now while I probably don't need to, I said sure. :S Anyway, the dog is gonna be here soon. So... have you ever dog sat or house sat for anyone?
Sitting for someone else's dog can be a daunting responsibility. A couple of days is one thing. A couple of weeks, in my opinion, is excessive. I would have kennelled the pooch at the doggy Hilton.

What will you do while at work? Do you know if the two dogs will get along? Will you crate them while you are out?

You are a very nice person. Just want to make sure you don't overextend yourself. :)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Dang. 2 weeks is a pretty hefty amount of time to sit a stranger's dog. You don't know if they're amicable yet and what happens if they hate each other as soon as you introduce them?

H

Hayesimus

well. i'm sure they will get along. and in the event they aren't so cozy, I will keep them in separate rooms while i'm gone. i really don't think that will be an issue but i could be wrong.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
Nahhh..Dogs are socially cool. The either get along and co-exist or they immediately start fighting. So ..no trouble yet is a good thing!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I hope she returns the favor if you have to go out of town. That is a big favor to ask, but if you guys are close, that's good.

I pony up the dough and send my dog to the vet's boarding house.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would take a cat for that long, not a dog without compensation of some sort (be creative)

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
there is a Seinfeld episode about this.

it didn't turn out well

H

Hayesimus

well so I talked to the owner lastnight and she said she'd be by at 9am to drop him off. Well at 130 I finally called her and she said oh yeah we got busy so my friend jessica will drop him off after 5. I told her it had to be before 6. She acted like it was no problem. And told me to expect a call from jessica. Well here it is 1240 and I haven't heard a thing! I'm wondering what the heck happened!?

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
You had to call her? I wondered what dog owner would leave their pooch for two weeks with a complete stranger without meeting them first... Poor dog; sounds like it has a very irresponsible, unconcerned 'owner'. :(

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Sounds like a weird situation I hope they are paying you!

H

Hayesimus

no just kind of an "out of the goodness of my heart" kind if thing.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Seems as if they may be unwittingly taking advantage of you. You would think that if she told you when she would have you the dog she would have delivered on that agreement. Seems a bit irresponsible especially considering you're doing it gratis.

H

Hayesimus

yeah. I am a little irked that I was trying to schedule my day around a rendevous that never happened...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Gah it's like the dang repairmen that give you a window in which they might decide to arrive. I had one company tell me a window of between 8 AM and 8 PM. We didn't keep that service for very long.

H

Hayesimus

ok now my friend anne says that some James guy was calling her and complaining that her friend's dog was at his house. I am like, WHO is JAMES?! lol. WTF is going on?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Haha that's the most ridiculous setup for dog sitting ever. So they decided to go with this James character instead? Weird.

H

Hayesimus

i dunno. i'm just confused now...