Doin' the iPod Shuffle

sbynyc

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Greetings all. It seems to me that since I upgraded to 2.2 on 3G iPhone, anytime I play an album on the iPod, the song list is automatically shuffled. Has anyone encountered this problem and fixed it? I want to shuffle when I want to shuffle, not all the time. Thanks in advance,

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
You mean iPhone - not iPod!? :)

Anyway - there is no settings on the iPhone doing the shuffle thing, only in your albums...but this feature should not be saved!? Are you on a jailbreak? And you do nothing else than clicking on "Shuffle" under every album - when wanted?

sbynyc

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
You mean iPhone - not iPod!? :)

Anyway - there is no settings on the iPhone doing the shuffle thing, only in your albums...but this feature should not be saved!? Are you on a jailbreak? And you do nothing else than clicking on "Shuffle" under every album - when wanted?
I'm not on a jailbreak (the iPhone is powerful enough for me just as it is; and I use it for everything). I haven't once clicked on shuffle on any album. It shuffles by itself. I don't wanna shuffle. I like things in perfect order.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm not on a jailbreak (the iPhone is powerful enough for me just as it is; and I use it for everything). I haven't once clicked on shuffle on any album. It shuffles by itself. I don't wanna shuffle. I like things in perfect order.
Don´t get me wrong on this - but are you 110% sure you don't click on "Shuffle" on the top of every album track list when playing some music?...or it could be some bugs in the 2.2 firmware!? Maybe you need to restoring everything...maybe it will fix your problem!?

EDIT: Check your iTunes under "Operating" in the menu (I don't know if this is correct in English - I use Danish!)...but here you´ll see some options for Shuffling etc.

sbynyc

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Don´t get me wrong on this - but are you 110% sure you don't click on "Shuffle" on the top of every album track list when playing some music?...or it could be some bugs in the 2.2 firmware!? Maybe you need to restoring everything...maybe it will fix your problem!?

EDIT: Check your iTunes under "Operating" in the menu (I don't know if this is correct in English - I use Danish!)...but here you´ll see some options for Shuffling etc.
1. I just downloaded a new album from iTunes and played it by doing nothing other than touching the first song title. It shuffled.

2. I found the menu in iTunes you referred to. It had shuffle turned off. I wish it was that easy.

3. I'm not going to restore just to cease shuffle. I rather live with it than start from scratch.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
1. I just downloaded a new album from iTunes and played it by doing nothing other than touching the first song title. It shuffled.

2. I found the menu in iTunes you referred to. It had shuffle turned off. I wish it was that easy.

3. I'm not going to restore just to cease shuffle. I rather live with it than start from scratch.
Restoring is the very last thing you should do - I'll know what you mean...;)

But this new album you just downloaded - did you play it in iTunes or on your iPhone?

It´s very strange...okay that´s what technology is about...but the only way out of this madness of shuffling is restoring your iPhone...

The very last thing: On your iPhone's iPod application...where you play your albums, there is an "Shuffle" in the very top of every album...you don't touch this!?.....lol...

Nov 10, 2008
Just to confirm that sbynyc is NOT crazy, I too have been involantarily doing the iPhone shuffle. It's a real pain in the ass.

Everything was fine before I updated to 2.2, so I did suspect that it was an undocumented bug, but this is confirming it for me.

I've been meaning to restore, but I just havnt gotten round to it. I'm just glad I'm not the only one anymore. P

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Before doing a Restore, have you tried completely shutting the iPod down by clicking and holding the Home button until the Home screen comes back (8-10 seconds)? I don't seem to see the album shuffle problem and I'm on a 3G 2.2 phone.

Nov 10, 2008
Havnt tried that - I only use that when an app hangs. Worth a shot tho. Il let u guys no if it works... P

Nov 10, 2008
didn't work... Hey, if I do a back up and restore to it after I revert to my factory settings will it negate the whole process? because if I gotta start from scratch, then bugga it, il live with the iPhone shuffle till the next firmware update! P

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
You might also try doing a Restart (hold Sleep button till you get the Power Off slider) or Settings->General->Reset All Settings. You may have to change a few things after the Reset All Settings but that may fix it.

didn't work... Hey, if I do a back up and restore to it after I revert to my factory settings will it negate the whole process? because if I gotta start from scratch, then bugga it, il live with the iPhone shuffle till the next firmware update! P
I don't know if that would negate things or not.

When you have an album playing and you're looking at the song list, if you tap the >> button (Next track), does it jump around to random ones or go in order?

sbynyc

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Restoring is the very last thing you should do - I'll know what you mean...;)

But this new album you just downloaded - did you play it in iTunes or on your iPhone?

It´s very strange...okay that´s what technology is about...but the only way out of this madness of shuffling is restoring your iPhone...

The very last thing: On your iPhone's iPod application...where you play your albums, there is an "Shuffle" in the very top of every album...you don't touch this!?.....lol...
I'm not going anywhere near the shuffle button.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
When a song is playing, touch the screen so that the shuffle and repeat options come up, then just touch the shuffle option on the right.

I don't know exactly if this is it but I'm just trying to help. :)

Nov 10, 2008
thanks jptolife, I didn't even notice those options just hiding away there! That did it! Have no idea how it got turned on there tho... P

Dec 15, 2008
I am having the exact same problem. Here are the two things I noticed:

1. When in an album, it always shuffles (even when "Shuffle" is not selected).
2. When in a playlist, it shuffles within the playlist

This started last Monday (12/8) after syncing to iTunes and downloading some podcasts for a work road trip. I have tried everything short of restoring it. It's driving me crazy bananas!