Don't buy seidio adapter with microphone!

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
This product causes about a 70%-80% loss in volume when using with a car compared to not using it. Normally a volume setting of "10" on my car stereo is fine to hear music directly from the iPhone. However when this seidio adapter is attached the stereo volume has to be at "40" to get the same volume. This product is totally worthless and I feel like these people ripped me off! Do not buy this!

Last edited by a moderator:

seidioseidio

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
This product causes about a 70%-80% loss in volume when using with a car compared to not using it. Normally a volume setting of "10" on my car stereo is fine to hear music directly from the iPhone. However when this seidio adapter is attached the stereo volume has to be at "40" to get the same volume. This product is totally worthless and I feel like these people ripped me off! Do not buy this!
Saaber,

I'm sorry you're not happy with your adapter, but I'm not sure how we ripped you off. The adapter was designed to be used with headphones and never claims to work with a car stereo. Please email me your information and I'll get you an RMA so you can return it for a refund.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbonFly

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Columbia, SC
Saaber, this is a normal thing with all iPods that I have ever owned. The volume always has to be adjusted to play louder when plugging and audio line into a car stereo.

I doubt this is a problem with seidio.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I Use the adapter with my cassette tape adapter and it works fine. And as a side bonus, I can use the whole setup as a speakerphone when a call comes in.
I will say that the audio from the call CAN be a little low, depending on who is calling and from what phone. Only a couple calls I have had to turn up the volume while having a conversation, but turned it down after the call was over. Of course that is not every call by far, just a couple.
If you are complaining about just the call volume being low, then you might want to test several calls with different receiving phones to make sure. And if you are complaining about just playing music... not sure what to tell you there except to check all your audio settings and make sure that there is no EQ setting, sound Check, or volume limit on.
Personally, I recommend this product to anyone that uses the line in or tape adapter with a car stereo. The worst thing anyone has said is that it sounded like I was on speaker phone. I said, well, I am.

sele

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I also use this product in my car and have not experienced any issues like this. I keep the phone in the cup holder and just push the button to talk when a call comes in. It mutes the ipod and I use the phone handsfree. Maybe you just got a bad one.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I also use this product in my car and have not experienced any issues like this. I keep the phone in the cup holder and just push the button to talk when a call comes in. It mutes the ipod and I use the phone handsfree. Maybe you just got a bad one.
I think you must be right that it is a bad one because if I unplug the adapter and plug the audio line directly into the iPhone's headphone jack, it is normal. Through the adapter it is not even audible at regular stereo volume levels. So something is majorly wrong.

In regards to Hawk's comment "And if you are complaining about just playing music... not sure what to tell you there except to check all your audio settings and make sure that there is no EQ setting, sound Check, or volume limit on"... audio settings are the same for direct plug into iPhone or adapter so that can't be the problem but I appreciate your input.

I wanted this product for exactly the reasons you and hawk mentioned but if mine is a bad one others will be bad also. I say stay away from this product.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I appreciate your position on this, but if a rep from Seidio himself came on here and wants to make it right, I would give them a chance.
I did a little research before I bought mine and the most feedback i was able to find was on another phone forum, Crackberry.com I think... The general consensus was that it was a great product.
I would urge you to have Seidio replace the one you have and give it another go. What's the worst that could happen? at the very least, you would be refunded your money if the next one failed to work properly.

seidioseidio

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Saaber,

I stand corrected. I spoke with my engineers who told me that this adapter should indeed work with most car stereos. Please email me your contact information and I'll have someone contact you to help troubleshoot. If you indeed have a bad adapter we'll be more than happy to replace it for you.

Thanks,

Seidio

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
I have a question about this product. I purchased it from the store here. The question is, how is this supposed to work correctly ? Typically, headphones or earphones have pretty long cords, and you are adding the mic/clicker to the BOTTOM of that cord, so unless you hold the BOTTOM of the cord up to your mouth to talk (Unlike the headphones that come with the iPhone, the mic is up top), it doesn't make sense to use this product, you might as well just talk into the phone mouthpiece.

seidioseidio

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I have a question about this product. I purchased it from the store here. The question is, how is this supposed to work correctly ? Typically, headphones or earphones have pretty long cords, and you are adding the mic/clicker to the BOTTOM of that cord, so unless you hold the BOTTOM of the cord up to your mouth to talk (Unlike the headphones that come with the iPhone, the mic is up top), it doesn't make sense to use this product, you might as well just talk into the phone mouthpiece.
Scott,

Good question. We've heard this from a few people, and the focus always seems to be on the microphone when it's purpose is really secondary. The microphone must be present in the adatper for the push button features to work. If you're strictly looking for a mic you can clip to your shirt we are working on releasing our retractable version. However, besides the obvious ability of the customer to use their favorite pair of headphones, this adapter does have other uses.

First of all, the one touch button can be used to play, pause and skip to the next track while keeping your iPhone in its case or holster. If someone comes up to talk you can simply reach down and pause the music. This is obviously quicker than taking the iPhone out of the case, turning it on, unlocking it, and then pressing the pause button. The button is also useful when you're working in another application. For instance, if you're listening to music while surfing or searching on Google maps you can skip to the next track without having to go back to the music player.

Secondly, it can also be used with a car audio system. Simply hook up your iPhone to your car system through the adapter and you're now using our mic and your car's speakers as a handsfree system.

This may not be the perfect adapter for everyone, but we've used this design for many other Smartphones very successfuly. It's also doing very well for the iPhone for those who need this kind of convinience.

Thanks

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
Scott,

Good question. We've heard this from a few people, and the focus always seems to be on the microphone when it's purpose is really secondary. The microphone must be present in the adatper for the push button features to work. If you're strictly looking for a mic you can clip to your shirt we are working on releasing our retractable version. However, besides the obvious ability of the customer to use their favorite pair of headphones, this adapter does have other uses.

First of all, the one touch button can be used to play, pause and skip to the next track while keeping your iPhone in its case or holster. If someone comes up to talk you can simply reach down and pause the music. This is obviously quicker than taking the iPhone out of the case, turning it on, unlocking it, and then pressing the pause button. The button is also useful when you're working in another application. For instance, if you're listening to music while surfing or searching on Google maps you can skip to the next track without having to go back to the music player.

Secondly, it can also be used with a car audio system. Simply hook up your iPhone to your car system through the adapter and you're now using our mic and your car's speakers as a handsfree system.

This may not be the perfect adapter for everyone, but we've used this design for many other Smartphones very successfuly. It's also doing very well for the iPhone for those who need this kind of convinience.

Thanks
Thanks for the response. I still actually love the product, have used to to pause and fast forward my music tracks. A retractable mic will certainly be a fine idea, I will definitely be buying that ! I also have enjoyed your products when I had my Treo 700p, and plan on getting one of your cases with the holster (thinking about the hybrid). Thanks again for answering, and I look forward to your future iPhone products.