Don't Buy Your iPhone 3G from AT&T Store

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I purchased my iPhone 3G at the local AT&T Store. The next morning I noticed that the Glass on the screen was not flush with the rest of the phone, upon closer look you could see a light leak on the left hand side of the phone. I went back to the AT&T store where I purchased the iPhone and they said "Take it to the Apple Store, they have great customer service." AT&T would not do anything to resolve the problem other than tell me to take it to the Apple store. They did tell me that if I was to return the iPhone I would be charged a restocking fee. So on day 6 I made it to the Apple store (30 miles from my house.) They Genius took a look at it, pulled out a white box and swapped it out, I asked him if I was getting a refurbished phone and he said "No." this is a brand new phone that has never been used, it may have a used battery, but the headset is all new. Frustrated I did the swap and went home, that night I noticed that the refurbished phones dock connector was not straight which caused my Sync cable and Dock to stick, as well as the fact that it randomly would disconnect from iTunes. This morning Day #9 I went back to the AT&T Store and said "I want a refund, cancel my account .. I don't want a refurbished phone." ... Guess what? AT&T will not accept the refurbished phone, they want the original phone that was in the box. So off to the Apple store I went, only to discover that they cannot and will not retrieve my old phone, they can swap out my phone for another refurbished one as many times as I would like. The manager of this Apple Store told me that had I purchased the iPhone directly from the Apple Store, they would be happy to replace my iPhone with a Brand New One. However, since I purchased it from AT&T their system will not allow an exchange for a new phone, only a refurbished phone.

So, to make my long story short ... Save yourself some trouble and only purchase your iPhone from Apple, not AT&T. Now I will have to debate legal action in order to get a refund for the crappy Refurbished phone that I received from Apple.

Jul 10, 2007
Given that the Apple store is 30 miles from your house you would have been better off paying the $20 restocking fee and getting a new phone from ATT. If your car gets 20MPG it would cost you at least $12 roundtrip...maybe much more.

I bought my wife a new 8g from ATT last week and it froze on her ONE day later. I went back to the ATT store that I purchased from and they gave me the same "You have to take it back to Apple" line. Since my Apple store is about 20 miles away I persisted with ATT and they let me upgrade to a new 16g (my choice before going there) by paying the difference in price plus the $19.95 restocking fee.

I thought that solution was reasonable. In addition, I probably signed something in the original sale that stated the ATT return policy. So shame on me for not reading.

This is my third iPhone from ATT and I have no issue with purchasing from them.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Given that the Apple store is 30 miles from your house you would have been better off paying the $20 restocking fee and getting a new phone from ATT. If your car gets 20MPG it would cost you at least $12 roundtrip...maybe much more.

I bought my wife a new 8g from ATT last week and it froze on her ONE day later. I went back to the ATT store that I purchased from and they gave me the same "You have to take it back to Apple" line. Since my Apple store is about 20 miles away I persisted with ATT and they let me upgrade to a new 16g (my choice before going there) by paying the difference in price plus the $19.95 restocking fee.

I thought that solution was reasonable. In addition, I probably signed something in the original sale that stated the ATT return policy. So shame on me for not reading.

This is my third iPhone from ATT and I have no issue with purchasing from them.
The bigger problem I have is the fact that I cannot return the phone now that I have been issued a refurbished model, and more importantly the fact that if you purchase your iPhone directly from a Apple Store they will take better care of you. Although, reading through my customer agreement it does state that it is up to Apple if they would warranty my replacement with new or refurbished. However, they have taken away my right as a consumer to return a product that was purchased. Nowhere does it read all iPhone 3G Sales are Final!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
more importantly the fact that if you purchase your iPhone directly from a Apple Store they will take better care of you.
This has always been the case. NEVER deal with ATT if you don't have to. I bought my 3G from Apple and then went to ATT to change plans and add a line for my wife. Extra trip yes, but no hassle in the long run.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I got both of my iPhones from AT&T (v1 and 3G) and have gone to Apple each time I have an issue with my phone. I traded out my 3G a week after I got it for the screen issue. I do not have a problem with AT&T nor have I ever but I would definitely recommend Apple for purchases and customer service.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I got both of my iPhones from AT&T (v1 and 3G) and have gone to Apple each time I have an issue with my phone. I traded out my 3G a week after I got it for the screen issue. I do not have a problem with AT&T nor have I ever but I would definitely recommend Apple for purchases and customer service.
That is the the lesson I learned today ... I just wish that I would have understood the differences between purchasing from AT&T vs Apple prior to my purchase. I would have been much happier had I purchased the device directly from Apple.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I wonder what's going to happen when people start buying their phones from Best Buy.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

I got both of mine, too, from AT&T. Had to replace both of them and had NO problem with AT&T. It's all in how you ask.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I got both of mine, too, from AT&T. Had to replace both of them and had NO problem with AT&T. It's all in how you ask.
That is absolutely correct. I got both of my iPhones on iDays so I wanted to get them from the people that knew about the contracts I was entering into. I've had great experiences with AT&T customer service as well as Apple's customer service.

There were a few issues that arose when I signed my 2-year contract with AT&T for the 3G however. Instead of taking my unlimited texting on my line and making it unlimited family texting (as I asked) they removed texting completely charging $0.20 per message. I called AT&T and they credited my account immediately and knocked off some of the cost of the next month's bill.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
I have had my 3g for about a two weeks and i have light leak on both sides. Took it back to the Apple store that i bought it from and talked to the genius about it. He said they have had no reports about it and did nothing about it. If i go and gripe and yell will they give me a new or a refurbished 3g. I will not take a refurbished for my 2 week old iPhone 3g. What to do?

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
I have had my 3g for about a two weeks and i have light leak on both sides. Took it back to the Apple store that i bought it from and talked to the genius about it. He said they have had no reports about it and did nothing about it. If i go and gripe and yell will they give me a new or a refurbished 3g. I will not take a refurbished for my 2 week old iPhone 3g. What to do?

If it is less than 14 days, you definitely can get a "Retail Swap" for another brand new 3G iPhone.

If it is older than 14 days, it has to be swapped out via the Genius Bar. I know this because I work at an Apple store, and I had to have my 3G iPhone swapped out last week.

One more thing: All the 3G iPhone's that go through the Genius Bar come in plain white boxes...We honestly don't know if they are refurbs, or brand new ones...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The light leakage issue is plastered all over the internet, yet the idiots at the nerd bar claim to know nothing about it. How can you claim to be a genius and not know how customers are experiencing problems with your product? The amateurs at the nerd bar are no different to the people at the Geek Squad in Best Buy. They have no knowledge of the stuff they support. Their answer to everything is "have you restored it"? Duh, light is leaking from the phone, how will a restore fix it?

I went to my local Apple store about light leakage in my first V3 and the nerd amateur was extremely rude to me. To the point he mentioned the colour of my skin (you people) and I told him to step outside and talk to me like that. As you can imagine, he called his manager and the manager actually reprimanded him for talking to me like that. But the manager would not listen to me at first, until I told him I was a part time police officer and would arrest his a$$ on the spot for this behaviour (the nerd amateur, not the manager).

In the end I contacted Apple direct and they noted all my light leakage issues down, contacted another Apple store and the manager of that store contacted me directly and arranged a swap for a new phone. It's crazy that I had to go to those lengths. So much for superior Apple customer service.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The light leakage issue is plastered all over the internet, yet the idiots at the nerd bar claim to know nothing about it. How can you claim to be a genius and not know how customers are experiencing problems with your product? The amateurs at the nerd bar are no different to the people at the Geek Squad in Best Buy. They have no knowledge of the stuff they support. Their answer to everything is "have you restored it"? Duh, light is leaking from the phone, how will a restore fix it?

I went to my local Apple store about light leakage in my first V3 and the nerd amateur was extremely rude to me. To the point he mentioned the colour of my skin (you people) and I told him to step outside and talk to me like that. As you can imagine, he called his manager and the manager actually reprimanded him for talking to me like that. But the manager would not listen to me at first, until I told him I was a part time police officer and would arrest his a$$ on the spot for this behaviour (the nerd amateur, not the manager).

In the end I contacted Apple direct and they noted all my light leakage issues down, contacted another Apple store and the manager of that store contacted me directly and arranged a swap for a new phone. It's crazy that I had to go to those lengths. So much for superior Apple customer service.
Geez... you got a V3? I thought we were on V2?

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
i bought an iPhone through ATT returned it once with no problem... they didn't even check much. 2nd time I had the light leakage on the left and 1 dead pixel... they told me they wanted to return it but can't because Apple policy was 1 exchange only per 30 day from the sale.... ATT sucks

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
what if we told Apple that we did buy it from an Apple store... Or that it was a gift and as far as we know it was

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I got my version 1 from an AT&T store, and had a problem with it; they told me to go to Apple, so I took it to Apple, and they did give me a brand spanking new iPhone, still in the retail shrink wrap. I don't know if it was within 2 weeks, but I am pretty sure it wasn't more than a month old.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
what if we told Apple that we did buy it from an Apple store... Or that it was a gift and as far as we know it was
I was told that the AT&T Phones are a different part number, thats how they know. "This was by the Apple Store Manager LaEncantada"