Don't kick me out for my question. ;)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jerni, Aug 14, 2012.

1. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

Where do I go to find fun knowledgeable people like you guys to help me with Samsung Note? I'm taking one for a ride for 30 days but 2 days in I'm struggling. It's been like a culture shock. I've had iPhones for about 4 years so it's an adjustment. Any advice from my trusted Apple users?

2. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Try Chris' other website EverythingAndroid.org. A couple of members from this forum are over there also. IP5 is a great resource for Android devices and he is part of both forums also. Good luck :)

3. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

See, that's how a forum is supposed to work. No fanboys here flaming her to go to another forum or anything like that. In fact she was expecting to be flamed as you can see in the title but was replied to in a nice manner. I wish other forums were like that although I must say they're starting to get better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

www.everythingAndroid.org is a great place to start.

5. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

So that's what I have to do if I want my message count to go up one of these days when that becomes important to me. lol.

6. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

LOL! I got a Galaxy S3 myself a month ago. My friends say I am multi-phonelingual since I seem to adapt to Android, Windows7 phone and iOS. I've used Android before but only recently decided to give it another try since I felt like playing with something new. XDA Forums is a good source of information. I would be happy to help as well if you want to drop me a private message or start a conversation on my profile page.

7. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

Yeah-it's nice to not see a discussion devolve into defense of who likes what and why. This is an iPhone forum, so yes, people are going to be here predominantly because they like their iPhones. As my user name indicates, I am a gadget freak in general. Oh, I'm hard core iOS when push comes to shove. Won't have any phone but iPhone since 2007 launch of iPhone. I use my iPad daily.
    But I do in fact own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus and one of the fire sale Blackberry Playbooks. I admit that I haven't touched either in months (since after getting my iPad 2). But point is, I still own them and at some point plan to tinker with them again. Issue is that all my apps are totally tied up in iOS, like my calendar apps, etc, and I don't want to double pay for an Android app when iPad of course is my central tablet.
    Here is another forum:
    http://forums.Androidcentral.com

8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

That's right, make love people not war.

9. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

Thanks. I'm 3 days in and ready to swap it back. My case hasn't even come in the mail yet. I still have 3 weeks to try it out. The battery life is pretty pathetic. I'm fully synced through iTunes so having to now do my things through Google is different. I'm trying

10. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

On the battery life make sure you're Wi-Fi is set per this screenshot.

uploadfromtaptalk1345090520198.jpg

Also, good to take advantage of toggles so that you match enabled features with your needs at that moment.

Lastly don't kill the thing with overloaded widgets, just what make sense for you.

Would admit though that I was annoyed that the stylus apps hasn't been fully released when i got my Note and that I was waiting on ICS.

In the end though if it's a huge culture shock then it's nice that the next iPhone should have a larger screen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

11. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

Since we're on the topic here, the one very noticeable difference between my iPad (including my iPad 1 as well), and my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus is the standby time. On the Tab, it is beyond significantly shorter, something like 8 days, and I noticed the difference like night and day. It's an issue to me, but I have a thing about battery life and a sort of threshold vicinity I don't like crossed, and my Tab does cross it, though it's not like it realistically wouldn't get through several days of daily use without charging. But it's Apples and oranges compared to my iPad. Heck, I let my iPad 1 sit for a couple months in fact and it STILL turned on! It definitely is a pet peeve, and with iPad, I don't have to think twice about it. I use it daily for a good hour and still go sometimes a good 2 weeks in between charges, and maybe a bit longer even. Well, LOL, but inspired by the good will here, I am charging my Tab and in fact tinkered with it for a bit as it is charging. It's fun to use and I might tote it to work tomorrow even. I definitely do prefer iOS though, hands down, not just due to battery, but interface-wise too.

12. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

Well my accessories have arrived, a otter box like case (making my huge phone huger), a 16gb micro SD card, and bluetooth headphones (so I don't have to look ridiculous holding a phone the size of a kindle up to my ear).

Anyway I don't really know how to customize my phone and I haven't had the time to sync contacts to getting used to the Note is still a struggle. And I'm still getting dogged on for abandoning my iPhone to carry around a "tablet phone".

13. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

You know, if you're not really diggin the Note, why note try the S3? Unless of course you just want to go back to the iPhone which I completely understand. :) I've never made it a full week with another phone until now. I'm really enjoying ICS. Not saying I wont get the new iPhone but until then I will use my S3.

As far as customizing, try a different launcher like NOVA and mess around with it. If you like customizing your lock screen like I do you can try WidgetLocker. Also check out JuiceDefender for prolonging your battery life. My S3 really gets decent battery life and JuiceDefender made it a little better by turning off certain things like WiFi at night or during the specified hours you enter. Tons of options. And I really love the live wallpaper feature of Android. I know its just eye candy but its cools. I agree the Note is huge but then again my phone is 4.8 inches.

And my friends also bust my stones about my non-iphone endeavor. Everyone I know has an iPhone and I am so PRO APPLE everyone thought I was off my rocker for getting an Android device. But the iPhone still has a special place in my heart and always will. :D

14. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

iPhones really are everywhere nowadays. At my work, I'll bet close to 75% have one, but I do still see some with an Android, and actually even a clamshell type here and there, for those who truly do not want to be bothered with a smartphone. No hating going on there. I am the most die hard iPhone person there, and I would never say anything if someone opted to go Android instead. It's all about what a person likes.

15. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

would also agree about replacing the launcher, GO Launcher and ADW being some other great replacements. I think you might find the UI a better transition from iOS vs the stock TouchWiz on your Note

16. sonic1519

sonic1519 New Member

i also agree since i have joined EIC i have enjoyed more each time i log in.
    most members very helpful. no need to wear a flame retardant suit in most cases.

17. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yep, it's all pretty civil. Until the discussion turns to AT&T throttling unlimited data customers. wink2.gif