Don't pre-order - just walk into Best Buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by trnsilver, Sep 13, 2012.

1. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

I remember when the 4S came out reading on here that a lot of people did not even bother with pre-ordering and simply walked into Best Buy on the day it went on sale and got a new iPhone without even reserving it...that they had tons just sitting there waiting to be bought.

I think the concept was that everyone flocks to Apple and the cellular stores but that Best Buy can do the exact same things as any of these places without the lines or fuss.

Just wanted to see if anyone had stories to share in this regard, if it is a smart move, etc. Otherwise I'll happily be up at 3 a.m. this morning to pre-order the new iPhone.

2. josh.ua

josh.ua Member
    Bronze

This wasn't the case with the iPad 2. Bestbuy had a lot of people. I think it al depends on the product and demand though. Last year at my store (work for ) we barely had a line. With like 60 people working we got through it in less than 2 hours I believe and still had plenty of most models for the rest of the day. Some people just walked in around 2 and picked it up in less than 15 min.

3. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

It was also the 4s. There wasn't a lot of people that wanted to update from the 4. That's why there may have not been many lines.

4. josh.ua

josh.ua Member
    Bronze

Actually there were plenty of people that wanted to upgrade. The 4S still sold more than the 4 did. I am not positive but wasn't the iPhone 4S was the first iPhone available for pre-order? I know the new iPad was the first iPad preordered and it had the same kind of launch as the 4S did.

5. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

yes the 4 to 4s wasn't all that great of an update as its 4s to 5 is..