Don't understand why Apple is lying about to me..

turbo3000

Jul 15, 2007
I love Apple and have been waiting on this phone. I went and played with one and it wasn't jaw dropping like I was expecting. It still is a great phone and looks beautiful. After thinking it over for 2 weeks, I decided to drop Verizon, pay the early termination fee and purchase and iPhone. That was until I found out that it won't interrupt you while browsing the internet and notify that a call is coming in. I think that is ridiculous, I had the SK 1 and 2 and they both would do that for me. I have talked to 2 Apple store employees over the internet from their chat option at Applestore.com and they both swear to me that I will be interrupted during a data session while using EDGE during an incoming call. Someone posted on here the exact line in the manual that references this problem, and they are still denying to me that this "problem" exists.

elite1096

Jul 15, 2007
CHICAGO
I love Apple and have been waiting on this phone. I went and played with one and it wasn't jaw dropping like I was expecting. It still is a great phone and looks beautiful. After thinking it over for 2 weeks, I decided to drop Verizon, pay the early termination fee and purchase and iPhone. That was until I found out that it won't interrupt you while browsing the internet and notify that a call is coming in. I think that is ridiculous, I had the SK 1 and 2 and they both would do that for me. I have talked to 2 Apple store employees over the internet from their chat option at Applestore.com and they both swear to me that I will be interrupted during a data session while using EDGE during an incoming call. Someone posted on here the exact line in the manual that references this problem, and they are still denying to me that this "problem" exists.
You know I noticed also when I was watching a youtube video on the iPhone and a friend called me it sent him straight to voicemail. Would be nice if it interrupted so I could get the call.

turbo3000

Jul 15, 2007
I don't like the fact that it won't interrupt me, but I hate the fact even more they two associates from Apple have just lied to me about it.

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't like the fact that it won't interrupt me, but I hate the fact even more they two associates from Apple have just lied to me about it.

I would like to think that they didn't lie to you, but rather, were misinformed. We may never know the complete truth.

The $64,000 question is, now that you do know how it works, are you switching back, or gonna live with it? The world awaits your decision. And I'm just curious.

-Jeff

turbo3000

Jul 15, 2007
I would like to think that they didn't lie to you, but rather, were misinformed. We may never know the complete truth.

The $64,000 question is, now that you do know how it works, are you switching back, or gonna live with it? The world awaits your decision. And I'm just curious.

-Jeff
Would be different if I only spoke to one Apple employee, but I spoke to two. And this one guy just kept telling me that his interrupts him while on EDGE...blah blah blah.

As for buying one....I dunno yet. I switch phones about every 2~3 months and I switch providers about once a year. The jury is still out on the iPhone, I do want one, and I understand it isn't perfect and that this is the 1st gen, and I have done plenty of research. I am still undecided.

kwan

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
It seems that this issue only applies to some. My calls always come through and it seems that others in the Houston, TX area are experiencing what I am.
Perhaps we need to do a survey of the people that are not having calls interrupting their data sessions and their locations.
I would bet that it is location dependent.

My question is does anyone in Houston have his problem?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
My phone will stop the Browser or YouTube Video (even while loading) ask me if I want to Accept or Decline the Call.

Depending on how you look at it, it does interrupt you. You can go to a webpage and the only time it wont ring is during the actual download of the webpage. If you are browsing through the webpage after it has downloaded, it will ring. Same with YouTube videos, once it has downloaded the entire video, my phone will ring in. So they may have been 'stretching the truth' to try to get you as a customer.

Also, I am referring to my experience only so if someone elses does not work, no need to scream at me, it aint my fault!:laugh2:

I tried two ways on my phone:

Edge, the call goes straight to voicemail. The first time I tried to call my number, I got a busy signal, tried back and it went to voicemail.

WiFi, the call gets answered, I get offererd the choice to decline or answer.

I really won't miss anything, I rarely use edge for the net and if I do use the net, it's at home on my WiFi.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I'm surprised to start seeing all of these types of threads, but I guess there are a lot of people with iPhones that are new to data services on cellular networks. What the OP complained about has been around for a while. One good thing you can use is that this is much better than our friends on CDMA 1xRTT networks. Anything they do with data will send calls to voicemail. GSM ends the data connection faster, so the calls get through better.

Anyway, this will be a problem until a 3G (UMTS and/or HSDPA) iPhone comes out since that does simultaneous voice and data. EVDO (Sprint and Verizon) Rev A will also support this.

I'm sorry you guys didn't know about this before, but it's a fact. If you actively transferring data, the call will go to voicemail. Of course this will happen with YouTube. You can try this on another phone too. Try downloading something and call your cell, it'll go to voicemail.

Joe

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
Depending on how you look at it, it does interrupt you. You can go to a webpage and the only time it wont ring is during the actual download of the webpage. If you are browsing through the webpage after it has downloaded, it will ring. Same with YouTube videos, once it has downloaded the entire video, my phone will ring in. So they may have been 'stretching the truth' to try to get you as a customer.

Also, I am referring to my experience only so if someone elses does not work, no need to scream at me, it aint my fault!:laugh2:

Mine works the same way...doesn't bother me though they shouldnt be interrupting me when i am surfing the web anyway:laugh2:

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
They are out to get you man. Don't let those scumbags lie! I say we start a class action suit over this. The world can not go on with out resolving this.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Would be different if I only spoke to one Apple employee, but I spoke to two. And this one guy just kept telling me that his interrupts him while on EDGE...blah blah blah.

As for buying one....I dunno yet. I switch phones about every 2~3 months and I switch providers about once a year. The jury is still out on the iPhone, I do want one, and I understand it isn't perfect and that this is the 1st gen, and I have done plenty of research. I am still undecided.
From what I understand it depends on where you are. Some areas get better reception than others. Some locations will allow the call others will send it to voicemail. I get calls when on edge while loading. But sometimes I don't . It all just depends.

turbo3000

Jul 15, 2007
They are out to get you man. Don't let those scumbags lie! I say we start a class action suit over this. The world can not go on with out resolving this.
Nice smartass response.....Thank you for bringing nothing to the table. I guess I still live in a fantasy world where people actually care how they treat a customer.