Don't you think?

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Don't you think that with all these glass displays rolling out, that maybe someone should take the time to design a true scratch proof screen. Not scratch resistant. Scratch proof. It would just make sense seeing as every tablet and phone is using glass nowadays

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Who knows what's inshore for the future. Something will probably be developed at some point, whether it is a true glass or a form there of that is scratch proof. We can all dream right?
Would probably be used in military first, then us normal joes could get our hands on it.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
I'm pretty sure glass isn't scratch proof.
If they made "scratch proof glass" per say, then it wouldn't be glass anymore.
This is what I mean. Make some completely scratch proof material and put it on all the devices. I'm sure there is something in the works after all this time. But as we know, Apple are too stubborn to use something the didn't create and name themselves. Such as gorilla glass. Gorilla glass isn't as good as people make it out to be for drops. But it certainly steps up to the mark when it comes to scratches.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Who cares, really? If it's going to cost a lot and add to the price of cell phones, it won't be that necessary. You do have cheap and expensive screen protectors lying around everywhere, and they range from transparent, matte, to even mirror ones.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Like when they want to put the scratch resistant coating on my glasses. Ummm.... No I'll save the money thank you. All a line of BS when it comes to that. Lol

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Who cares, really? If it's going to cost a lot and add to the price of cell phones, it won't be that necessary. You do have cheap and expensive screen protectors lying around everywhere, and they range from transparent, matte, to even mirror ones.
I can see your point but I'd love to not worry about screen protectors and cases. I do not like screen protectors. I like to go naked ;) but also love to have a mint screen.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
What do people do with their phones?
I have been naked 95% of the time. I have a free screen protecter on that I think they paid me to use. No scratches front or back. It isn't designed to use as a rock in a curling match.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
What do people do with their phones?
I have been naked 95% of the time. I have a free screen protecter on that I think they paid me to use. No scratches front or back. It isn't designed to use as a rock in a curling match.
I understand where you're coming from Ray. But with all these glass screened phones coming out it would make sense to use some military grade super glass? I know it sounds silly but I think it makes sense. Even if we do not need it.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I understand where you're coming from Ray. But with all these glass screened phones coming out it would make sense to use some military grade super glass? I know it sounds silly but I think it makes sense. Even if we do not need it.
Don't you worry. Sooner or later we're going to get scratch-proof material. With all the advancement in technology and the consumers' ever growing love for gadgets, it's going to happen, and hopefully Apple would be the first to implement it. :p

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
There are scratch-proof substances available now. They're called diamonds. Well, they can be scratched by other diamonds, but most people wouldn't have to worry about errant diamonds in their pocket messing up their phone. Then again, most people wouldn't be able to afford a phone with a diamond screen anyway.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
It's never going to happen, screens need to crack, phones need to break, battery have to die, it's a businesss.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Even if that were not the case, there's no reason future-proofing tech beyond a couple years since by then new stuff will be more than twice as good.