Do's and don’ts for an unlocked iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
Guys,
I have an unlocked iPhone 1.1.1 arriving from the US to Thailand next week:):):) but I am worried that I mess it up when I connect it to my Mac Book.
Has anyone on this forum put together a do's and don’ts for an unlocked iPhone so that I can keep it unlocked and usable?
Any help advice will be much appreciated

garymooks

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
DO NOT upgrade to latest firmware from iTunes.
DO NOT apply restore..always do Option+ Restore and choose which firmware you want to restore to.

DO enjoy the attention from friends.
DO show-off your iPhone at cafes,restaurants and on public transport.
DO donate to the folks who helped you with the unlock..

:) Gary

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
DO NOT upgrade to latest firmware from iTunes.
DO NOT apply restore..always do Option+ Restore and choose which firmware you want to restore to.

:) Gary
Gary,
is it safe to sync with iTunes? What I mean is, is it the same as an ipod that when you put the ipod on the dock iTunes opens automatically and sync's with the ipod, does the same thing happen when you put the iPhone on the dock, iTunes opens and then sync's iTunes, iphoto, and anything else that you have saved in preferences, but because iTunes recognizes that the iPhone has an older firmware it asks to update your iPhone to the newer firmware (this is where you have to say NO right?) Does it ask you everytime you put your phone on the dock, charging etc, etc?
When you say option restore why would you want to do that? is it when your phone is not responding or something like that
Thanks in advance

garymooks

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
You can stop the iPhone from automatically syncing by Checking off that option.Its right there on the main screen when u connect the iPhone.
Additionally u can also set syncing preferences separately for contacts,calendar,bookmarks,email setup,music and photos.That is you can select to sync only certain playlists or photo albums only.

When iTunes asks you to update select No and never ask again on that window..

The restore option is only when something is corrupted on your iPhone or some programs are not responding and you are forced to do restore(meaning restore the current firmware).This will wipe out all the contents..but not to worry you can later SYNC again from iTunes.

Enjoy:)