Doubting today

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
Ok how many times have you clicked "Check for Update" on iTunes in the last 10 minutes? lol :)

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
I'll jump on wrhutch's Thursday bandwagon. I mean, why not. Thursday sounds like a good day.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
well i think if we don't see one today, we'll see one friday the 28th .. the official launch of the ipod touch. this was the date i assumed would be the day since the ipod event .. but since the touch was appearing earlier i thought we'd see it earlier. if it doesn't come on a tuesday, it'll be a friday. thursday makes no sense.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Took my macbook to work today hoping for a mid day release. Truth be told, this is why I bought an iPhone to begin with. I didn't need a new phone. Have a BB Curve paid for by the boss. Its about the excitement. Participating in something. For anyone without this device, today is just another Tuesday. For us, its the day that could have been....whatever happens, damn good times!

tundra

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
New Jersey
well i think if we don't see one today, we'll see one friday the 28th .. the official launch of the ipod touch. this was the date i assumed would be the day since the ipod event .. but since the touch was appearing earlier i thought we'd see it earlier. if it doesn't come on a tuesday, it'll be a friday. thursday makes no sense.
Maybe it will be on Tuesday Oct. 2nd.... This was on Apples website the other day. Talking about Starbucks......

Starting the day with a latte and a tune
To promote its relationship with Apple and the new iTunes Wireless Music Store, Starbucks “plans to give away 50 million free digital songs to customers in all of its domestic coffee houses.” According to a CNNMoney.com article, baristas will “hand out about 1.5 million ‘Song of the Day’ cards” that customers can redeem at the iTunes Store. The cards feature the work of artists—beginning with Bob Dylan and “Joker Man”—on the Starbucks’ Hear Music label. The promotion kicks off on October 2, the day Starbucks will begin introducing access to the iTunes Wireless Music Store at participating store locations.

philhh

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
Maybe it will be on Tuesday Oct. 2nd.... This was on Apples website the other day. Talking about Starbucks......

To promote its relationship with Apple and the new iTunes Wireless Music Store, Starbucks “plans to give away 50 million free digital songs to customers in all of its domestic coffee houses.” According to a CNNMoney.com article, baristas will “hand out about 1.5 million ‘Song of the Day’ cards” that customers can redeem at the iTunes Store. The cards feature the work of artists—beginning with Bob Dylan and “Joker Man”—on the Starbucks’ Hear Music label. The promotion kicks off on October 2, the day Starbucks will begin introducing access to the iTunes Wireless Music Store at participating store locations.
That would make sense to me. It's a Tuesday, there's a special event, and it buys Apple another week to get it together.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal

Look at those sleuthing skills!

tundra

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
New Jersey
Only thing is I am not so sure it would make sense to release an update on tuesday Oct. 2nd when starbucks does there thing. The reason I say this is because as most know the updates from Apple are usually later in the evening. So perhaps they will do it earlier. The post i made prior is just a thought. Although who knows maybe I am correct.

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I expect the update at least a few days before the Starbucks thing so that people can use the store once the Starbucks promo starts. The same day as the Touch release makes sense.

philhh

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
I expect the update at least a few days before the Starbucks thing so that people can use the store once the Starbucks promo starts. The same day as the Touch release makes sense.
That would make some sense however I'm somewhat jaded by how I've seen Apple behave over the years. The iPod touch is now the latest and greatest and they'll be putting effort into getting it launched and "supported" for a little while...then it's on to the next thing.

This doesn't mean we won't be getting an update, just that Apple has a new pet project and the iPhone may not be the priority. From what I've read in the past they move engineers from project to project, so while it's entirely possible there's a team just for the iPhone, it's also possible that that team has other responsibilities...

So my guess would be next Tuesday. And absolutely nobody at Apple told me, whispered to me, or met me for a cheap cup of coffee to divulge this. My source was...

a post above mine!

;)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I think this too.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
Ummm nah not sleuthing skills, did'nt change my Macbook Pro's Safari homepage. lol. Lazy I suppose.
Well I'll hold my tongue next time I have a quasi-compliment to dole out :p

MikeT77

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
It would make sense for them to release it on the 28th because that is the day the Touch is released...and the Touch would have the wifi iTunes active. So it would make sense for the iPhone and Touch to both have this active at the same time. Plus, the Starbucks promo starts in NY on Oct 2nd and they would want you to have the wifi iTunes active before then. Their thinking would be to get you in the store with a free song and then have you spend money...