Downgrade firmware

diaxio

Oct 9, 2007
Is there a way to downgrade from 2.2.1 back to 2.2.0 I upgraded thinking it was just 2.2.0 now I can't jb the phone

thepunisher1991

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
Is there a way to downgrade from 2.2.1 back to 2.2.0 I upgraded thinking it was just 2.2.0 now I can't jb the phone

i don't think there is a possible way you can downgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.2.0....
before there was ibricker but that doesn't work with the current firmwares.. so most likely your gonna have to wait until the devteam makes a jailbreak for firmware 2.2.1 :eek:

Tonza

Aug 19, 2010
Hi can anyone help before i tear my hair out? I made the mistake of upgrading iPhone 4 to 4.2.1.from 4.1 and i want to change it back to 4.1 but iTunes will not allow it. Does anyone have any ideas that actually work because ive tralled the internet and come uo with nothing?

Thanks

kyleplusitunes

Silver
Jun 25, 2010
I'm almost 100% positive you can not rollback firmware

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Not unless you have your SHSH blogs saved through Cydia or TinyUmbrella. If you do you can use TinyUmbrella to downgrade back to 4.1.

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
What I understand is 4.2 firmware is not allowing to jailbreak. If you want to jailbreak you must go back to 4.1. But if you want to go back to 4.1, you must use Cydia or tinyumbrella. Still, for using Cydia or tinyumbrella, you must jailbreak your phone.! What a contrast! Anybody know how to downgrade, without ssh( I didn't save my ssh, anyway to get a duplicate ssh? Sorry if I am dumb) or without jailbreak? Ultimately I want to jailbreak my 4.2 :)

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
If you don't mind having a tethered jailbreak just use Redsn0w to jailbreak your iPhone on 4.2.1.
The only problem with having a tethered jailbreak is that if you power your phone off or you allow your battery to go dead you have to use Redsn0w to power it back up. It's almost like re-jailbreaking again except you select the "Just boot tethered for now" option in Redsn0w and then Redsn0w makes your phone boot. I've been using the tethered jailbreak ever since I got my iPhone 4 and haven't had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
@ the OP: Did you come across this article? http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-ios-4.2-to-4.1-4.0.2-4.0.1-on-iphone-4-3gs-3g-and-ipad-guide/

To reiterate previous posts, you must have been previously jailbroken and saved your SHSH blobs with Cydia, or you must have used TinyUmbrella to save said blobs.

@Navaskdl: There is a jailbreak for 4.2.1 but it is tethered as of yet. There is "supposed" to be an untethered version being released "soon". If you've never jailbroken before I'd recommend waiting on the untethered release. In the meantime, you can use Tinyumbrella to save your 4.2.1 SHSH's. It's not possible do get a "duplicate" SHSH. By the way, SSH is a separate term from SHSH. I know exactly how easy it is to confuse the two when first learning ;)

Edit: Pardon my redundancy from the post by GADeputy.

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
Thank you very much kadelic for the reply. Yes I read that already. It says you must save the shsh, which I didn't. I have couple of questions.

1. What is the problem with a tethered jailbreak? My carrier support tethering anyway.
2. Is it possible to "unjailbreak" and back to original if I want?
Thanks again.

Tonza

Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for all your replies

M

mafia_001

Thank you very much kadelic for the reply. Yes I read that already. It says you must save the shsh, which I didn't. I have couple of questions.

1. What is the problem with a tethered jailbreak? My carrier support tethering anyway.
2. Is it possible to "unjailbreak" and back to original if I want?
Thanks again.
For the tethered jailbreak when your iPhone battery dies or you need to reboot your device, like GADeputy said " you will have to run the program again or 'rejailbreak' but click the 'just boot tethered now' if you don't mind with that then go ahead and jailbreak tethered if you're on 4.2.1

To unjailbreak your iPhone and turn to original one, you just have to plug your device to computer and click ' restore' on iTunes.

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
Thank you mafia, I guess I will wait for the release of 4.2 jailbreak, hope it come soon.

M

mafia_001

Thank you mafia, I guess I will wait for the release of 4.2 jailbreak, hope it come soon.
4.2 can be jailbroken with limera1n or greenpoison.
just go to limera1n.com and download then plug your device and click make it ra1n.
It's really simple

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
4.2 can be jailbroken with limera1n or greenpoison.
just go to limera1n.com and download then plug your device and click make it ra1n.
It's really simple
I don't believe limera1n or green pois0n will jailbreak 4.2, it's only for 4.1 at this point.

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
Is it correct mafia? Where can i read more about it?thank you

M

mafia_001

I don't believe limera1n or green pois0n will jailbreak 4.2, it's only for 4.1 at this point.
Well for me i suggest to jailbreak with those because there's no other program that can jailbreak 4.2 except those two. iPhone devs has even already release 4.2.1 tethered. Which means 4.2 has already been released long time ago

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well for me i suggest to jailbreak with those because there's no other program that can jailbreak 4.2 except those two. iPhone devs has even already release 4.2.1 tethered. Which means 4.2 has already been released long time ago
Dude, Redsn0w is the only tool mentioned pertaining to iOS 4.2.1. 4.2 was never really released, Apple skipped right to 4.2.1. Which version of Google are you using? Limera1n and Greenpois0n will NOT jailbreak anything after 4.1.

M

mafia_001

Dude, Redsn0w is the only tool mentioned pertaining to iOS 4.2.1. 4.2 was never really released, Apple skipped right to 4.2.1. Which version of Google are you using? Limera1n and Greenpois0n will NOT jailbreak anything after 4.1.
Oh i thought it worked for 4.2. Sorry guys

Ozzie5374

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Country South Australia
OK. Brand new to this JB stuff but having looked into it at JB Matrix I'm determined to go ahead on iPhone 4 4.2.1. I've read all pertaining to using redsn0w 0.9.7before, 4.2b3 shsh required, but I really would like to know if there is a forum post/link here or somewhere that explains the whole process for us newbies. Eplanatiions of the acronyms too. For a start, what is shsh? Things like where to go for downloads etc. Also still not sure on tethered/untethered? Can iTunes still be used as B4 JB to upgrade Apps? Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app