Downgrade iOS 6 to iOS 5 then JB without SHSH blobs?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by php111, Nov 1, 2012.

1. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Hey everyone,

I did a upgrade from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6.0 sometime ago, but I rather have the JB, and I don't know when, or will they be releasing a free JB for the iOS 6? I read online that I would need SHSH blobs to redo the JB, and downgrade, correct?

I tried in iTunes a different way since I don't have my SHSH blobs saved, and iTunes gave me 3149 unknown error. This is what I would like to try. Would this be safe? Would this be possible as well ONLY if its safe enough?

1.) Get the IPSW file by doing a Google search. In my case it's the iOS 5.1.1 for Verizon iPhone 4 (CDMA). Download the file.

2.) Make sure the iPhone is connected, and in DFU. Launch iTunes. Hold the shift, and restore. Select the file, and I get the unknown error.

3.) If above was successful even though it wasn't. I was going to setup the iOS 5.1.1 then use redsn0w to put the JB back on.

Basically use iTunes to restore with the IPSW file, and ressn0w to JB.

Or are there better options to do this without SHSH blobs?

Thank you,

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Can't be downgraded. Sorry.

3. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

As far AFAIK that as a downgrade goes, I can say that without SHSH blobs saved, there is no hope whatsoever. In addition to the SHSH blobs saved on Cydia, I think that you would also need an "APTicket" saved locally. If you did not do this while Apple was signing 5.1.1, then you are, AFAIK, SOIL. I am in the same boat, and unless someone answers my thread (see link below), I am resigned to staying on that POS iOS 6, because I only have my SHSH blobs on Cydia, and not my APTickets locally.

You CAN jailbreak iOS 6 with redsnow, if your phone is supported. Get redsnow here:
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

See my thread below where I detailed my unsuccessful experience trying to downgrade...I have an iPhone 3gs (new boot ROM), and I'm marooned in iOS 6 land, with no apparent hope of downgrade (waiting for a response to confirm that) where most of my great JB apps stuff (e.g. backgrounder, multiflow, navigate from maps, folder enhancer, etc) don't work, or are unstable (activator, SB settings).

#3 ring0_event, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  4. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Thank you for the detailed info! Would the iOS 6 jailbreak be untethered where I don't have to constantly reboot my phone, and put it back on again? Thank you for explaining it to me!

5. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

It's tethered for now, at least for me, with my 3gs with its new boot ROM. Unless you have that model, I guess it would be tethered for you as well. What model do you have?

6. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Sorry, I missed it, you have an iPhone 4. So yes, it would be a tethered JB. But it's a quick and simple JB.

7. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Before I ask you for the instructions on how to do this. Would a tethered JB be like I turn off or restart my phone then I have to put it back on?

8. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Well, it works for me thus: If I turn off my phone and turn it back on, everything seems to work, except Cydia apps. I did not fully test this, but my phone and stock apps appeared fully functional. So it seems to be a "semi-tethered" JB. In order to get access to my Cydia apps, I need to plug the phone in my USB port, turn off the phone, then put the phone in DFU mode. Then run redsnow (as admin), then select "Extras", then "Just Boot". Then phone will then boot up into "JB mode", and you can use both stock apps and Cydia apps. So in effect you are using redsnow to boot your phone into JB mode. As long as it's charged, and it does not reboot, all stock and Cydia apps will work.

JB procedure on iOS 6 is easy: plug the phone in your USB port, turn off the phone, then put the phone in DFU mode. Then run redsnow (as admin), then select "Jailbreak", and follow the instructions. The phone will reboot. IIRC you will have to do a redsnow reboot after the JB procedure to be in JB mode.

Really easy.