Downgrade iPad 3 to iOS 7 possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by TarekElsakka, Sep 19, 2014.

1. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Hey there

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the iPad 3 section because I thought only this section allows discussions about jailbreaking and such. Anyway I am going to be updating my iPad 3 to iOS 8 once the download is done, but I was wondering if there are any certain steps I could take in order to be able to downgrade to iOS 7 later on? I currently have jailbroken iOS 7.1.2 installed on it.

Thank you so much for your time.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You cannot downgrade from iOS 8 to iOS 7. If you upgrade, you'll lose your jailbreak. As of now, there is no iOS 8 jailbreak.

3. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Thanks for your reply, chris. This article says that Apple is still signing 7.1.2 for iPhones and iPads and therefore it is possible to restore the IPSW using iTunes. Is that true or could this article be outdated and talking about the beta version of iOS 8, for instance? It'd suck to not be able to restore. I don't really care much about jailbreak, but I love how stable and snappy iOS 7.1.2 (and of course its compatibility with all apps and games I have) is so I'd like to be able to go back to it just in case I didn't like how iOS 8 performed because I heard it's not that great on older, lower-end Apple devices.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The signing window for 7.1.2 hasn't closed yet. Downgrade ASAP if you don't want iOS 7. You'll need to download the firmware first and shift + restore. You can't use an 8.0 backup.

5. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Well I am going to give iOS 8 a shot in a few but I'm also downloading the 7.1.2 firmware file as we speak in order to be able to restore quickly in case 8 is sluggish and buggy. Thanks, Mindi!

6. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

I gave iOS 8 a one day trial and it failed. It performs really badly on the iPad 3 and I was pretty sure this was going to happen since it's technically made to perform best on the latest Apple devices. I'll attempt to downgrade now and I really hope Apple is still signing 7.1.2 because this is disappointing.

7. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Update: Restoring to 7.1.2 worked but unfortunately I couldn't restore my backup because "my software is too old" therefore I had to go back to iOS 8 because I cannot lose all the data I had! Is there a way around this?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I put that in my post. ;) No, there's no way around it. You can prevent it by making an iCloud backup on 7.1.2 right before the upgrade and then using iTunes to make 8.0 backups. Then when you want to go back to 7.1.2, you use the 7.1.2 iCloud backup.

#8 Europa, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  9. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

I apologize but I didn't really understand the post at the time until I experienced the issue. When I first backed up 7.1.2, I should have manually located the backup folder and copied it somewhere else in order to keep it like I always did when I had an iPhone but I forgot to do that, unfortunately. My sister has an iPhone 5S and she dislikes iOS 8 a lot as well, saying it is sluggish and very buggy and several apps keep opening and closing all of a sudden. I am guessing maybe 8.1 will fix those issues? I hope so.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Future updates will improve it, but there is only so much it can do to help with speeds on old hardware. iPad 3's are always going to run best with the firmware from that year and the following year.