Downgrading from iOS6 to iOS 5.1.1 on iPad 2 and iPhone 4 issues

MitzEclipse

Dec 13, 2010
Hi All,

I have decided to downgrade to iOS 5.1.1 as I need Google Maps back. I have downloaded the respective iOS 5.1.1 .ipsw files and put the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 (both devices never jailbroken) into DFU mode to restore.

In both instances I get this message: the ipad "ipad" could not be restored. this device isn't eligible for the requested build.

I have googled for fixes for this and all sources tell me to edit the hosts file to remove any references to Cydia/etc. I do not have any references to this in my hosts file, in fact I only have one entry which is 127.0.0.1 local host.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to restore from one of the backups I have stored on my macbook, but I could even wipe the devices and start from scratch - although I couldn't even do that right now as I can't get past this issue.

Please help thanks.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can't downgrade if you don't have your 5.1.1 SHSH backed up. It's too late to do this since the signing window closed a couple days after 6.0 was released.

You can still use Google maps on the web at maps.google.com. Street View will be added in a couple weeks.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
You can't downgrade if you don't have your 5.1.1 SHSH backed up. It's too late to do this since the signing window closed a couple days after 6.0 was released.

You can still use Google maps on the web at maps.google.com. Street View will be added in a couple weeks.
I have 5.1.1 saved for my phone, can I downgrade my daughters phone with my saved SHSH? If I can how does one go about that?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have 5.1.1 saved for my phone, can I downgrade my daughters phone with my saved SHSH? If I can how does one go about that?
No, that won't work. The SHSHs are specific to each device.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Just as FYI, Google web app now supports Street View. And it's quite nice. I suspect the forthcoming Google Maps will be great, as the YouTube app they released is very nice (just wish it supported full iPhone 5 screen size).

IMO, not worth downgrading. Just be patient.