Downgrading help!

OpenSource4All

Sep 25, 2011
Hey guys. I am in need of some help here regarding trying to restore my GSM iPhone4 from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 or any other previous version...

I was formerly jailbroken and on iOS 4.1. All was awesome until like 3 days ago when one of my favorite apps (Optimum app) wouldn't run because it said that "I was using an unauthorized Apple iOS"...OK, so I deleted the app, reinstalled and still got the same message. I decided to then upgrade my iOS to 4.2.1 thinking that maybe it would run on that iOS. If not, I would continue to upgrade to newer iOS's until it worked. Subsequently, all hell seemed to break loose on my device. I ultimately had to restore to the newest version 4.3.5 simply because I needed to regain use of my phone function. Since then I have realized how really LAME the iPhone4 is if it is not jailbroken! So, I downloaded redsn0w 0.9.9b1 to jailbreak it again but as all of you know, tethered jailbreaks are such a pain in the a**! So here I am looking for help from all of you who clearly are more adept on these issues than I. If you guys could take a moment and respond with your thoughts, comments or a step by step procedure to follow, that would be totally awesome and greatly appreciated. Additionally, I have no problem meeting anyone in order to resolve these issues I am having and would gladly throw you a few bucks for your services. I am located @ 20 mins outside Manhattan, NY. Thanks again guys!

Here is a little background...

I have:
-all my SHSH blobs saved from 4.1-4.3.5
-downloaded all firmware needed
-made custom firmware via Sn0wbreeze
-changed my host files to every different combination that I have come across via YouTube tutorials.
-disabled firewalls
-running as admin(even though I am on XP)

Every time I try to restore I get some sort of error. Error 3914, 1601, 1602, 20 etc...during the process the screen apparently kicks out of DFU and turns white...

I downloaded tinyumbrella, iReb, RecBoot and everything else I have come across. Obviously I am missing something here. Can anyone help!?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
First off, never use sn0wbreeze unless it is absolutely necessary. In this case it's not needed.

Restore to a stock 4.3.3. If you get error 3914, your hosts file is wrong. Fix that and try again. Anticipate a 10xx error when it's done. Use Fix Recovery, not the Exit Recovery or Fix Recovery feature that is built-in to TinyUmbrella. It's a separate program that can be found on the TinyUmbrella website. Then jailbreak with redsn0w.

OpenSource4All

Sep 25, 2011
Hey Europa. I gave it a go but I am getting a 1601 error everytime I try to restore from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3. Blobs are present in firmware umbrella, I believe the appropriate boxes are checked/unchecked in "advanced tab," firmware is downloaded on my desktop, but during the iTunes restore process my iPhone screen goes white, effectively disconnecting me from firmware umbrella. I downloaded fix recovery like you suggested, extracted the two files(fixrecovery43.exe and fixrecovery421.exe, but when I try to run it it says " This application has failed to start because zlib 1.dll was not found." So basically after this I have to use my redsn0w 0.9.9b1 to "just boot tethered" in order to get my phone to work out of DFU... Any ideas? Perhaps a step by step process that you know of? Thanks again Europa!

PS. I am on baseband 4.10.01
This is the firmware I am trying to downgrade to: iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw
This is what my host file looks like:

# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Don't use TinyUmbrella. Your blobs are also in Cydia so you don't need it. Just shift+restore in iTunes. Your hosts file is correct.

OpenSource4All

Sep 25, 2011
No dice Europa. Here is what I did...
-I connected my iPhone4 to PC
-Turned it off
-Put it in DFU mode
-Opened iTunes
-Clicked shift+restore
-Selected iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw firmware

So iTunes then extracts the software... (status bar fills)
Preparing iPhone for restore (status bar fills)
Then my iPhone seems to get kicked out of DFU and a the iPhone screen turns white
iTunes still displays preparing iPhone for restore (but the status bar is not filling, it is striped like an old barber pole)
After 3-5 mins or so, error 1601 appears

I am at a loss for solutions...Can you help? Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Are you restoring to the custom ipsw file you made? If so, restore to the stock ipsw. If not, download the firmware file again.

OpenSource4All

Sep 25, 2011
Hey Europa. I finally got it right...Downgraded back to 4.3.3 via custom firmware. But alas, another issue. I am unable to make calls now. My signal bar shows either 1 bar or no service. I toggle Airplane mode...no good. I reset network settings...no good. I even got a new SIM card...no good! I am on 4.3.3 on BB 4.10.01. I am an AT&T customer w/a legit SIM card. The dude at AT&T told me to go to Apple. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How is your signal when you disable 3G and let it run on Edge?

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Is Cydia still storing SHSH? I'm thinking about buying an AT&T iPhone 4 on craigslist but he already upgraded to ios5 and 4.11.08.

I read that you can restore to 4.3.5 and 4.10.01 then just update with out updating the modem. This way I can JB tethered on ios5 and hopefully get an unlock soon or just use GEVEY. Am I correct up to now?

By the way it has AppleCare so I'm thinking push come to shove I accidentally brick it and go get a brand new one (do I have to pay the $50 deductible?) and sell it to someone who likes AT&T.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Now I read that Apple is still signing 4.3.5. If this is true then I won't need Cydia, can I just download a factory 4.3.5 ipsw and restore to that version and if so the most important part, will that bring back my modem baseband back to 4.10.01?