Downgrading to 1.0.2 from 1.1.1?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I have yet to upgrade to 1.1.1, however i have been able to restore my iPhone without being forced into an upgrade using a trick i found on iPhoneatlas.com.

In iTunes (on a mac), you can hit the 'option' key and click on the restore button. A window opens that allows you to choose the file you want to restore to. i could not downgrade to 1.0.1 or 1.0.0, but i could restore to 1.0.2 without being forced into 1.1.1.

My question is, if I upgrade to 1.1.1, will i be able to switch back to 1.0.2, or will i loose that option?

If anyone has upgraded to 1.1.1 and would like to try to get back to 1.0.2 let me know and i will e-mail you the 1.0.2 restore file.

Thanks for the help.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
nope, sorry. With 1.1.1 they made it where there is no way at all to downgrade, they did this because they want to stop all 3rd party applications. And by letting people downgrade they knew people would choose custom apps over their updates. Sad day, but most likely in the near future either a downgrader will be released or 1.1.1 will be figured out and hacked. In the meantime DON'T UPDATE. :)

kranz

Sep 28, 2007
yes [please help

ok i have a legit uncracked or modded iPhone
i am on 1.1.1
it updated somehow while i was trying to use ibrickr...
yers i know....
i followed the steps but ibrickr coudlnt find the phone...\
so i tried and because the file was already downloaded well it didn't prompt me..
i unplugged the iPhone

and had no choice butto restore

i really need to downgrade....\
if you have the file and have an idea of how to actually restore again and use that file i would love tyo know.
i can send you an address to send me the file.
\would really help me!

i have a pc and a mac so i am good to try anything right now.

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
I have yet to upgrade to 1.1.1, however i have been able to restore my iPhone without being forced into an upgrade using a trick i found on iPhoneatlas.com.

In iTunes (on a mac), you can hit the 'option' key and click on the restore button. A window opens that allows you to choose the file you want to restore to. i could not downgrade to 1.0.1 or 1.0.0, but i could restore to 1.0.2 without being forced into 1.1.1.

My question is, if I upgrade to 1.1.1, will i be able to switch back to 1.0.2, or will i loose that option?

If anyone has upgraded to 1.1.1 and would like to try to get back to 1.0.2 let me know and i will e-mail you the 1.0.2 restore file.

Thanks for the help.

i would very much appreciate the 1.0.2 restore file. i hear that with hacks your phone is ok to restore and update, but i don't want to take any chances. if you could post that or send it to me id greatly appreciate it!

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
read my post directly above yours^^^

In Summary,
Getting the 1.0.2 file will NOT help you. There is currently NO WAY to downgrade from 1.1.1. NO WAY AT ALL. Apple disabled downgrading with 1.1.1. Something should be worked out shortly though. How soon, nobody can say, it just all depends on what exactly Apple did. Best case scenario, a few days, worth case scenario, a month or two. More likely the former, or at least I can hope :).

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
read my post directly above yours^^^

In Summary,
Getting the 1.0.2 file will NOT help you. There is currently NO WAY to downgrade from 1.1.1. NO WAY AT ALL. Apple disabled downgrading with 1.1.1. Something should be worked out shortly though. How soon, nobody can say, it just all depends on what exactly Apple did. Best case scenario, a few days, worth case scenario, a month or two. More likely the former, or at least I can hope :).
im not downgrading. i already have 1.0.2, and haven't upgraded to 1.1.1, i just want to restore without being forced into an update. third party apps are fun, but im done with them. i know i can do it now, and i enjoyed it while it lasted...but too much of a risk.

if Apple is going to do what theyve done with the unlock, then i don't want to get stuck with hacks when they do it to that next. you see?

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
im not downgrading. i already have 1.0.2, and haven't upgraded to 1.1.1, i just want to restore without being forced into an update. third party apps are fun, but im done with them. i know i can do it now, and i enjoyed it while it lasted...but too much of a risk.

if Apple is going to do what theyve done with the unlock, then i don't want to get stuck with hacks when they do it to that next. you see?
You need to learn the difference between hacking and modding.

Modding your phone will never end up with a brick. It doesn't modify any firmware. If you are ever concerned about updating a modded phone just restore before you upgrade. Unlocking modifies the base firmware of the phone, modding does not.

I can't believe how many people are so scared of installing third party apps. It's no big deal.

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
You need to learn the difference between hacking and modding.

Modding your phone will never end up with a brick. It doesn't modify any firmware. If you are ever concerned about updating a modded phone just restore before you upgrade. Unlocking modifies the base firmware of the phone, modding does not.

I can't believe how many people are so scared of installing third party apps. It's no big deal.

ok dude i know. i know the difference. im not afraid of having the apps on there i just want them off. i already have a lot on there. will someone just email me the restore link for 1.0.2? please? im not trying to make this a big deal at all.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
if you are going down to 1.0.2 baseline and don't care about your AppTapp applications then just go ahead and upgrade to 1.1.1.
I know you think you understand everything, but I think you are missing something somewhere. :)

And I know that this sounds like I am harassing you on or something, but honestly I don't even have the 1.0.2 file currently available to me so I am just trying to offer helpful solutions while you wait for someone else.

And just to clarify you can update to 1.1.1 right now through iTunes and not worry about anything on your iPhone getting broken. You have only modded not unlocked so nothing bad will happen. It will just remove the apptapp apps.

piloting

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
ok dude i know. i know the difference. im not afraid of having the apps on there i just want them off. i already have a lot on there. will someone just email me the restore link for 1.0.2? please? im not trying to make this a big deal at all.
It is on your computer. The file is saved in the Documents and Settings\<userid>\Applicaiton Data\Local\.... ether in Apple or Apple Computer. I don't remember exactly. I found that on the XP but don't know where under VISTA.
Remember the Application data is invisble. You have to turn on the invisble file and folder setting
You should be safe. I did that today and you can choose what to restore by hitting the SHIFT+ restore button. Choose the file found on your computer. Just don't hit restore key only. Once the process start, you cannot stop it

kranz

Sep 28, 2007
new developememt

ok progress...
so mid working with an unlock file my iPhone froze
and yes i installed ibrickr...
jailbroke my phone...
however mid unlocking the phone froze..
when i rebooted it said connect to iTunes...
because i had previously downloade teh upgrade but unpluggged before it installed.....it was already on my pc...
so when i connected my phone it auto upgraded without letting me decide...
anwyays...
so there i was with a 1.1.1 phone newly restored...
and at an activation screen.
now...
i had the iPhone service on att
and then cancelled it..
but the phone still worked...
when i plugged my iPhone into a diff computer where i had synched it....
it synched my phone and my phoen isn't at activation screen anymore...
utunes knew that i activated it prior...

so here i am with a 1.1.1. phone no sim and its working....
now....
how do i downgrade to 1.0.2. if i have the file...
i amwomdering if i it will work....
and if not is there a way to purposly brick the phone....
or wipe it out...
so that i can install the 1.0.2 file and it wont know that 1.1.1. wasd ther eprevoiusly?
if ayone has any ideas let me know...
as i plan to try to intentionally brick my phone if this browse for my 10.2. file wont let me do it....

help anyone?

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
first of all the last thing you want to do is intentionally brick your iPhone. That doesn't solve anything and is not the equivalent of a factory reset. And secondly at this current time there is NO WAY to downgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2. Even if you have the files or anything. It is not currently possible. Give it a couple days, I am sure somebody will figure it out.

kranz

Sep 28, 2007
hmmmmm
ok
but...
here is the thing...
i only retsored because i bricked my iPhone trying to install a third party app....
so i figure...
if i can wipe the drive on the iPhone....
then i can restpre on a pc that has the 1.0.2. file locally...
and by doing so i should be able in theory to have iTunes restore it...
it only wont downgrade becaus eit checks what version of the phone you have and has a failsafe...
so as you say there is no way....
well the patch has been out for 2 days....
so it will take renegade guys like me to intentionly brick or wipe out the hard drive...
i have been contemplating using a big magnet!
kidding...
but soething of the sort to frack it so iTunes cant even talk to it....it just reformats it and restors the softare...

anywyas...
has anyone actually tried to downgrade?
with a legit phone like i have?
if so i woudl like to hear their take...
i don't believe in impossibles or cants
call me crazy....
but....

first of all the last thing you want to do is intentionally brick your iPhone. That doesn't solve anything and is not the equivalent of a factory reset. And secondly at this current time there is NO WAY to downgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2. Even if you have the files or anything. It is not currently possible. Give it a couple days, I am sure somebody will figure it out.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
i'm totally agreed with ya. just give it sometimes somebody out there will make the way out of it and pretty sure about that.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
So can someone confirm if 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 is possible?

I thought that by all accounts it was not possible, but there's a locked post on here that seems to indicate otherwise...

Last edited by a moderator:

markor

Sep 28, 2007
re: PILOTING
.... I did that today and you can choose what to restore by hitting the SHIFT+ restore button. Choose the file found on your computer. Just don't hit restore key only. Once the process start said:
are You saying that in iTunes You can press shift on keyboard, mouse over to restore and it will offer You to 1.0.2 ?
I am running some issue after SSH tethering to connect to PC via WIFI, which worked fine, but was to difficult to reorganize for normal use of PC. so I went back step by step, but I LOST MY EMAIL ACCOUNTS on iPhone and there is no way to get them back on. - so I need to restore iPhone and do all 3day app.loading process again :), but its worth to have emails..

Maui Dave

Sep 5, 2007
Email Restore File

Yes, please email me the restore file. Thanks.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

markor

Sep 28, 2007
TO:Maui Dave
please email the file to martin@cinemania.cz
I will post it somewhere on net for others to get it. but did You try the downgrade on Your own, or anyone else? or did You try to restore 1.0.2. with this file?