Downgrading to Original iOS firmware from 4.2.1 Custom firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Michael Ciarlillo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Michael Ciarlillo

Michael Ciarlillo New Member

So, I recently jailbroke my iPhone 3g using the basic custom firmware and sn0wbreeze. My iPhone is running really really slow and cant push even though I have AT&T. Its frustrating and to make things worse iTunes wont let me go back to 4.2.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Misc Info:
    Cydia/Manage/Storage

System:
    Used (62.2) Free (37.8)

Private:
    Themes (0%) App Store (9.4%) Other (6.6%)
    iTunes (13.8%) Camera (0%) Free (70.2)

I would like to either up the running speed or go back to the original iOS 4.2.1 firmware and jailbreak it by some other process.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

If you're concerned about the speed it's probably not going to improve that much since the 3G isn't a fast phone. Install FakeClockUp in Cydia before restoring. FakeClockUp is a GUI mod which makes things slightly quicker.

You can restore to stock 4.2.1 and re-jailbreak.

3. Michael Ciarlillo

Thanks for the fast response! I originally bought it jailbroken and it seemed to be running a lot faster or atleast there wasn't any lag/freeze on the keyboard when I was texting. Also I have another problem. Sometimes when I make calls the person receiving the call cant hear me but I cant hear them also my microphone app doesn't work. When this happens I take apart the phone, disconnect all cables, wait about 10 minutes, and then reconnect and it appears to be fine. When I first bought it this wasn't a issue. Any ideas? I was thinking it may be the custom firmware and not hardware.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Do you have the iPad basebad installed? Or was the custom firmware used to preserve the baseband?

You can restore to stock iOS 4.2.1 and re-jailbreak using Greenposi0n, Redsn0w, Pwnage Tool or Sn0wbreeze.

The microphone situation I can't help you with, it certainly sounds like a hardware fault. You could buy a new part from eBay. Taking your phone apart and disconnecting wires isn't something I'd call a fix.

5. Michael Ciarlillo

I believe at first I had the iPad baseband because my iPhone got stuck in the boot loop. I'm pretty sure now I preserved the baseband with the custome firmware. Brings me to another point when I first jailbroke it I didn't have any signal and had to install ultrasn0w to use my phone. I think that has something to do with my push problem.

I tried to restore it but I believe I got an error. I'll try again.

What exactly is the part that controls the microphone? I So i can eBay it

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Why do you need to unlock the phone if you're on AT&T?

I don't know what the actual microphone section is, but I'm sure a simple google search will tell you everything you need to know.

7. Michael Ciarlillo

I have no idea why I had to unlock it to use my AT&T network. When I first booted it up after the custom firmware I had no signal and network reset didn't work. So I tried ultrasn0w and I had service. It has to deal with this crappy custom 4.2.1 basic FW that sn0wbreeze gave me. It didn't run anything like this before. I could have sworn I tried to go back to the original 4.2.1 and iTunes gave me an error every time. I'll try after i get off work.

I have no idea why I didn't google it. Thanks.

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Make sure you're hosts file is correct, that may explain why you were getting errors. You shouldn't need to use custom firmware unless you require an unlock.

Which iTunes errors were you receiving?

9. Michael Ciarlillo

I just updated my iTunes and received the error 1015 trying to restore my iPhone.

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Download Tiny Umbrella here: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Install and launch, with you device connected select it from the devices section (too left) then hit the exit recovery button (top right).

11. Michael Ciarlillo

Thanks! I am in the middle of trying to restore it on another computer. If that doesn't work I will try Tiny Umbrella.

12. Michael Ciarlillo

I guess I will have to try Tiny Umbrella

13. Michael Ciarlillo

Also after I hit exit recovery do I try to restore again in iTunes?

14. Michael Ciarlillo

I tried fix recovery it TU as well and it did nothing. Also tried downgrading to 4.1 and editing the host file received error 3194, also tried green p0ison rc6 and it wont recognize DFU mode. I know its in DFU mode because UT will read it and gives me the fix recovery option. I am lost.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The 1015 error is related to the iPad baseband. There is no way to remove/downgrade this baseband. This baseband makes restores more difficult, but they will work of you follow the proper steps. The 3194 error when attempting to restore to 4.1 is caused because your hosts file is set to only allow restores to the most current 3G firmware (4.2.1). If you want to restore to anything other than 4.2.1, you'll need to edit the hosts file and add Cydia's address. This can be done manually or with Tiny Umbrella.

I recommend restoring to a stock 4.2.1, activating with your AT&T SIM and then jailbreaking with limera1n or greenpois0n (if you want to jailbreak).

Directions:
    Keep your hosts file how it is. Shift + restore to a stock, not custom, 4.2.1 ipsw two times in a row. Anticipate a 1015 error after the first restore. Do not try to kick it out of recovery mode at this point, just restore again. Use RecBoot or Fix Recovery if you get this error after the second restore.

#15 Europa, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  16. Michael Ciarlillo

@Europa Thanks! So if I followed this correctly I should leave Apples IP address in the hosts file? and when I am doing this should i have Set hosts to Cydia on Exit checked or not checked in Tiny Umbrella?

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You want the hosts file to point to Apple. It sounds like it already is, but just in case it isn't, be sure to uncheck the box that says Set Hosts File to Cydia on Exit and close TinyUmbrella.

18. Michael Ciarlillo

Thank you much appreciated! I'll give this a go, and let you know either way what happens.

19. Michael Ciarlillo

I received the 1015 error both times trying to restore from a clean 4.2.1
    I will try Fix Recovery and RecBoot

20. Michael Ciarlillo

How will I know Fix Recovery is working and how long is the process?