Download Songs from Safari and play directly on iPod

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 29, 2007
Here is a way to download songs from Safari on your iPhone or iPod touch safari and be able to play it directly through the iPod.

rohitk said:
Some good news. Greg Harstein, creator of the app NetServices, has just added this feature into the app. Hence, you no longer have to go through all this scripting and Terminal access. Kudos to the guy for making things easier for everybody. Here's the new instructions, as per what he's posted in this thread. I've tried it out, and it works perfectly. You no longer need to restart your phone after switching modes either. Here goes:

This File Sharing Plug-In has been added to NetServices as a switch control and is available in the latest update (0.1.5). An version of the plug-in has been added to the CopyCoders installer repository. This version has scripting included specifically designed to work with NetServices. Due to the specific nature to the scripting needed no other install is promised to work. Please remove the File Sharing Plug-In before installing from CopyCoders.

Add CopyCoders to your installer sources and NetServices along with the File Sharing Plug-In and many other netwrok services will become available in CopyCoders folder.

* Open Installer
* Tap Sources along bottom navigation bar
* Tap Edit along top navigation bar
* Tap Add along top navigation bar
* Enter: http://homepage.mac.com/hartsteins/c...copycoders.xml
* Tap OK
* Once Installer finishes adding source - Tap Done
* CopyCoders should now appear as a source in "Other Sources". If it does not -Tap Refresh.
* Tap Install along bottom navigation bar
* NetServices...etc will now be available for installation under the "CopyCoders" heading.

For those interested, the original article is below. Happy downloading!

This guide is for total and utter newbies. So my apologies for the detailed steps to people who know better. If it's too winding, please let me know and I'll cut down on it.

The guide has been updated to now include fresh instructions, separately for 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 users. Where the instructions differ, it has been mentioned.

Hey guys,

Today, thanks to a few people on the iPhone IRC channel, I've found a way to manually download songs on the iPhone from any website, and update the iTunes Database on the phone itself to add the new songs. I thought I'd put up the steps here for everyone, because at least to me, this is a great development, and I thought I'd make it easy for anyone else interested in doing the same.

1. Download and add this MobileSafari plugin that'll enable you to download MP3s (along with other file formats like zip, rar, avi, mp3, mpeg, swa) through the browser.
EDIT: Sorry, sorry. . . I posted the wrong URL first. Here's the updated one. Thanks, thatonealex. I uploaded the plugin myself again as well. http://rapidcher.com/files/74483381/...oad_Plugin.rar rapidcher = Rapid Share. Hehe. Can't post the URL here directly. The Cher joke, courtesy of ZuZ.
Much thanks to hachu for making the plugin. Here's the original thread where he posted and explains how to install it: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18060
I uploaded it with the updated plist file that includes keys for more file formats than in the original plugin (all updates were in the thread itself, posted by other people - not me )
Here's the instructions to install it (from hachu's page, of course):
Copy the plugin bundle (File Download Plugin.webplugin.app) into "/System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins", and then reboot the phone (EDIT: I didn't reboot, and it worked for me. But maybe you need to for pre-1.1.2 fw). This plugin is confirmed working on all fw including 1.1.2.

It will create a folder called Downloads next to Library and Media in your root home folder. It will only download there.
The path for the folder is: /var/root/Media/Downloads/

2. Download and install MNPlight on the phone. Add this source to Installer: http://movenplay.gforge.inria.fr/iPhone. Once you add it, you'll see two new Folders under Install called MNPlight and MNPgoodies. For our purpose, you need only install MNPlight.

Here's the link to the page of the app for access through your computer, in case you want to know more:
http://movenplay.gforge.inria.fr/

3. Download whatever MP3 you want through Safari now, and simply fire up the MNPlight after that, and go to 'Playlists'. Edit: Wrong folder was indicated earlier. My bad. Enter "/var/root/Downloads" under Directory, and click on the "Import songs from directory" button.

4. Voila! Your downloaded songs will now be available for playing through the iPod!

P.S.: I originally got to playing the downloaded MP3s through Erica (Sadun)'s SendFile app. Thanks to her too for updating the application to now automatically search the Downloads folder.

Enjoy!

And my sincerest apologies if someone else has already put up instructions to do the same.

How to switch between downloading and streaming of audio files (Bit complicated, by the way)

I realize now that auto-download is not always desirable, as sometimes, people just wanna stream the clip on the phone. So I wrote two scripts that can be run through Terminal on the iPhone to switch between downloading and streaming.

You'll need to have a Terminal app installed on your phone in order to do this. I'm sorry, but I'm no coder, so I don't quite know how to make an app that'll do this simply. I leave that to the pros. This has been my first time experimenting with writing scripts as well, so I'm satisfied with how I've done anyway. You can install Terminal through Installer. There are quite a few packages; pick any you like.

EDIT: Steps for 1.1.2 users ONLY!
Now, download this file:
http://rapidcher.com/files/74362857/Enable_Disable.rar As always, "cher" = "share"

Extract the contents of that file on your pc. Now, copy the two plist files on your phone under "/System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/File Download Plugin.webplugin", and copy the two sh files in "/private/var/root/". The Info.plist file in this rar has downloading enabled.

Steps for 1.1.1 users:
Download this file:
Original link edited, THRICE. Sheesh. Thanks, Z00l, for pointing the first error out. http://rapidcher.com/files/74580508/Safari_files.rar

Extract the contents. Just to be safe, first create a backup of the original Quicktime plugin plist on your computer. After that, copy the two webplugin folders from the archive to the Internet Plug-Ins folder on the phone.
Copy the two sh files in "/private/var/root/".

All following steps for 1.1.1 as well as 1.1.2
Next, fire up Terminal on the iPhone. By default, it should open in the aforementioned path. Otherwise, navigate to it (for the uber-noobs: cd /private/var/root). Now, type the following commands:
chmod +x dis.sh
chmod +x en.sh

Now, to disable downloading and revert back to the default iPhone settings, just type "./dis.sh" and reboot the phone. You'll find that now you can no longer download mp3s, but rather, stream them through Quicktime as before. To enable downloading again, open Terminal and type "./en.sh" and reboot.

And there ya go!

EDIT: So I'm getting word that some 1.1.2 users are having this not work for them. If that's the case, then follow the steps written for 1.1.1 users above, and replace the Quicktime plist as well. That is confirmed working.
I really hope someone more talented than I will simplify this for the masses. My apologies for being too inept to do so. It's also 7:15 AM in my Time Zone, and I haven't slept yet. So yeah, be thankful for what you're getting. :p

Sep 29, 2007
When I saw it I thought it was as well. And yes it does work. Downside is that as you know when downloading songs from the internet it doesn't come with the album art and all that jazz so if you are an iTunes neat freak like me I'll download it and then on iTunes add everything to it.

But yes it does work.

Last edited by a moderator:

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I wonder if there will ever be anything that allows you to unzip or unrar files right on the iPhone. It would come in handy when downloading media files in bulk.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I've been using this Safari download plugin since was first released and absolutely love it. Just FYI though: CopyCoder's installer contains an older version of Hachu's program. In Hachu's latest version, which is 0.2, there's a progress bar and a "change filename" option.

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Yes I got this working. thanks. But when I import the song, it pop up as a weird name on my ipod. why?

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Yeah I figured out about the whole name thing.
I downloaded version .2 and installed it on my iPhone, but I couldn't get it to work. Oh well, I will just use finder to rename my mp3's.

addy005

Bronze
Dec 10, 2007
Wow, Those instructions were confusing lol. I downloaded all the programs but when i put some music files into /var/root/Media/MNPlight/music. It doesn't find anything when i click import songs. Also when i tried to have it import from /var/root/downloads it didn't work as well, it actually said no such directory was found. Im completely lost. Can anyone help me out?

Alll I really want to do is "drag and drop" songs into my iPhone with winscp and have my ipod read it.

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Wow, Those instructions were confusing lol. I downloaded all the programs but when i put some music files into /var/root/Media/MNPlight/music. It doesn't find anything when i click import songs. Also when i tried to have it import from /var/root/downloads it didn't work as well, it actually said no such directory was found. Im completely lost. Can anyone help me out?

Alll I really want to do is "drag and drop" songs into my iPhone with winscp and have my ipod read it.
You will have to spell "downloads" with the capital D.

addy005

Bronze
Dec 10, 2007
I did. When I open MNPlight and do the import from this directory thing. It shows all of the steps it goes through. But I don't see any extra songs pop up or anything. I have no idea what exactly I am suppose to see when it gets done but I only have 39/39 songs that I put on there. Oh and When I put the plugin files into the directory where they are suppose to go. It never created at Downloads folder.

blurm

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Version 1.02

I can't get this to work, is it bc I am using version 1.02? I am able to download and listen but it never gives me the option to save and the "download" folder never gets created in the var/root/media. HMMMM, Maybe an upgrade to version 1.1,.....little out of the loop I just got back in the country from a 2 month hiatus.

Here is a way to download songs from Safari on your iPhone or iPod touch safari and be able to play it directly through the iPod.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I can't download the copycoders from installer, I type the url for the sources, Just as it was on here, Even with the ... since it didn't show the full URL. Any suggestions?

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I can't download the copycoders from installer, I type the url for the sources, Just as it was on here, Even with the ... since it didn't show the full URL. Any suggestions?

Check out the original thread:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18060

I've been using this app for few weeks and it works great but IMO "HistoryDL" is a more elegant solution for downloading songs from Seeqpod.com. HistoryDL's downloaded songs usually displays the correct artist and title on your ipod. And you can configure the save folder to match the default import folder on MNPlight.

BTW- HistoryDL is in the "recent" section of AppTapp Installer.

jester310

Aug 9, 2007
help

I can't get this to work, is it bc I am using version 1.02? I am able to download and listen but it never gives me the option to save and the "download" folder never gets created in the var/root/media. HMMMM, Maybe an upgrade to version 1.1,.....little out of the loop I just got back in the country from a 2 month hiatus.
I am also using version 1.0.2 but I can't find any version of the download plugin to download from installer all I see is versions 1.1.1 and for 1.1.2 where did u find it for the 1.0.2 version? Thanks in advance

blurm

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
If you have CopyCoders in your source list then just download the plugin for 1.1, it works with version 1.02 fine. I believe it was originally written for that version from the start so it just so happens that it is compatible with 1.1. I wouldn't however download the one for version 1.1.2, I don't know what that would do. It's a great plugin, have fun.

I am also using version 1.0.2 but I can't find any version of the download plugin to download from installer all I see is versions 1.1.1 and for 1.1.2 where did u find it for the 1.0.2 version? Thanks in advance

iCreep

Bronze
Nov 14, 2007
I wonder if there will ever be anything that allows you to unzip or unrar files right on the iPhone. It would come in handy when downloading media files in bulk.
They have apps in installer that says it allows you to unpack .zip files and RaR files and everything. I think the source is moyashi? Or at least that's what it says when I tap on the app and look at the contact button. Its under utilities on mine but I have the source already added. Oh and they also have data compressors too.

iCreep.