Downloading CSV files, TXT files etc

jho

Sep 23, 2007
My company has a website where client files are posted as CSV files. I need to download these files and save to the phone. I also need to be able to view and even edit these files in something like Excel, and then email the files to customers. Can I do this with iPhone?

Can I also receive files like csv, excel, TXT and .WAV files via email, and upload them to a website? Our same company website has provision to search/select file and upload to the website.

I tried it today but safari told me "Safari cannot download this file type"

Thanks for any help / direction on this! :cool:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
My company has a website where client files are posted as CSV files. I need to download these files and save to the phone. I also need to be able to view and even edit these files in something like Excel, and then email the files to customers. Can I do this with iPhone?

Can I also receive files like csv, excel, TXT and .WAV files via email, and upload them to a website? Our same company website has provision to search/select file and upload to the website.

I tried it today but safari told me "Safari cannot download this file type"

Thanks for any help / direction on this! :cool:
Basically, it's no, no, no and no. Can't really save anything. Or edit. Believe Safari. WAV files are no-no's too.
And Photoshop doesn't really work on the iPhone either.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I've just been looking at an online spreadsheet app with an iPhone optimized version, called EditGrid. Don't know if this could be a possibe workaround for you. Their online app allows you to share and publish sheets (sharing does not yet work on iPHone, only on desktop browser). Check them out at:
http://www.editgrid.com/

jho

Sep 23, 2007
I've just been looking at an online spreadsheet app with an iPhone optimized version, called EditGrid. Don't know if this could be a possibe workaround for you. Their online app allows you to share and publish sheets (sharing does not yet work on iPHone, only on desktop browser). Check them out at:
http://www.editgrid.com/
I could try it but according to geordisjd, I can't even download, upload, or save a file.

I'm a little shocked by that... I thought this device would be able to do a task that treos and blackberrys have been doing for years!

jakkyl

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
The iPhone never has (and probably never will be) targeted at businesss users. Its not meant to be a BlackBerry killer.

I'm a little shocked by that... I thought this device would be able to do a task that treos and blackberrys have been doing for years!

jho

Sep 23, 2007
The iPhone never has (and probably never will be) targeted at businesss users. Its not meant to be a BlackBerry killer.
Wow I can't believe it's so limited that businesss users won't be able to switch to it.

Dang... and I really wanted to ditch the Treo...

jho

Sep 23, 2007
So, if I get a file in an email... I can't save it? Can I forward it?

I'm still reeling that I can't save a file or upload a file to a website. :(