Downloading songs

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by silvermoon, Jan 15, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I have been browsing the App Store foe a day trying to find an app that will download music straight to the phone. The two that found use Google to perform a search. I would like to search without having to use the browser.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I am unsure of one that you're asking for, but Free Music Downloader Pro ($2.99) I have read reviews that it is good. However, when I used it, it forces you to still use legal websites to get the music from. You must search through those websites and on one even make an account.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure if you are asking where to download music or which app to use. There are a lot of apps without restrictions in the App Store allow downloading media files directly to the iPhone. Try Downloads Downloader and Download Manager. Just copy and paste whichever download website you use if you don't want to use Google.

image.jpg

image.jpg

#3 Europa, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I may not have been perfectly clear as to what I am asking for. Let me try to explain. I want an app where I can search for music and download without having to go to a website in order to get to the music. Essentially, it would be like using a file sharing client to download the music. The key component is that all of the searching and downloading is contained within the app and not using external programs.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you want to avoid iTunes because the songs are too expensive? There are sites that offer free music, but it's pirated. The are also legal alternative places to download such as Amazon. If you download the music from a download link on a website on the browser on the app, the music will be saved in the app and can be accessed and played through the app. You have to search for the songs on the browser in the app, though. This isn't difficult if you just bookmark the site you use to download music.

iTunes is the only music service for iOS that I'm aware that has it's own app where no searching on websites is necessary. iTunes will also to catalog it automatically and put it in the iPod app, whereas download sites will just put it in the downloads folder in the app itself.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Yeah, I want to avoid iTunes as I don't have any money to pay for songs. I think using one of the above music apps is the best way to go even if I do have to download the music from a website. Are there any apps that you would recommend?

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Have you tried Spotify? It's a great music app. You can create playlists and etc. You have to create an account.

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

A friend of mine is using Spotify. I tried Slacker and Pandora and they just stream the music to your device. It does not let you download songs / albums to your music library. That is what I am hoping to do.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I didn't know there was a way to download songs to the iTunes music library, other than through iTunes. It's my understanding that Apple does not allow that. But I could be wrong. I'd like to do the same, so all my music would be in the same place.

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You may be right. I remember this was possible on Android, but Apple would have different licensing restrictions. If there is a way to do this, it would save some time of having to find a reliable website to download music.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Spotify Premium allows downloads for offline listening. No streaming. But that comes with a monthly fee of $9.99 I think. Slacker and Pandora are radio apps. Spotify is not. I use the same downloader Europa suggested. But the music is stored in that app.