Driving 101

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
8) HANG UP AND DRIVE!

Don't use your cell phone while you're driving, even if it's hands-free. I don't want to hear anybody saying "Oh, it's not that distracting, I can do it". No, you can't, it IS distracting so just keep the phone off unless it's an emergency or you're parked somewhere.
Definitely. I'll even admit that talking to people IN the car distracts me.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I have a list of about 72 different things people should know about how to use a round-a-bout.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
pretty much nails it.

the Dave Matthews bit is particularly spot-on.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
They made it illegal and ticketable in Florida to ride in the left lane if not passing. Unfortunately they do not enforce it.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I have come to the conclusion that the average person is just not meant to drive an automobile. Why is it so hard to follow a few simple courtesies?

1) If you're on a multi-lane highway, and you're not passing anyone to your immediate right, move over.

2) In fair weather, if you're on a one-lane road, at least drive the speed limit.

3) Use your turn indicator BEFORE you brake to turn, and BEFORE you begin to change lanes.

4) Check your blind spots.
Man, thosde are my biggest driver pet peeves too! Especially number 1. I get road rage with number 1.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Roundabouts are the stupidest thing ever concieved.
I love roundabouts. There was an intesection that was constantly backed up and if you took the road to the intersection you could guarantee yourself about a 15 minute backup. They put in a roundabout and it is no waiting now. The only problem I have is that some people do not understand that you do not have to stop before entering it if nobody is there to yield to. They just stop in the middle of the road for no reason because they have to idea how to drive on a roundabout.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
They made it illegal and ticketable in Florida to ride in the left lane if not passing. Unfortunately they do not enforce it.
That is why drivers in Florida are REDICULOUS! I have drove in over half the states, and Florida drivers are the most reckless! :p

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I have come to the conclusion that the average person is just not meant to drive an automobile. Why is it so hard to follow a few simple courtesies?

1) If you're on a multi-lane highway, and you're not passing anyone to your immediate right, move over.

2) In fair weather, if you're on a one-lane road, at least drive the speed limit.

3) Use your turn indicator BEFORE you brake to turn, and BEFORE you begin to change lanes.

4) Check your blind spots.
Spot on! I get so mad when I see idiots like this on the road. My dad learned to drive in Europe where driving on the right and passing on the left is a heavily-enforced law, and he passed that on to me when he taught me to drive.

I think it's so weird to see people who use their turn signals act is if the fact that they used it gives them automatic permission to go in that direction. No, jackass, it only signals your intent - if I'm in that lane, I'm not going to slow down to let you in just because you signal. :mad:

I have a friend who is a terrible driver - never uses her turn signal, sits in the left lane, etc. I thought we were going to get shot in Texas once because she was driving like a moron. I've given her feedback about this (which has led to terrible arguments between us) but she just doesn't care. I simply cannot understand that attitude. If we go anywhere and I have a choice, I drive, and I never let her drive my car.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Oh, I forgot this one...

If you're in the wrong lane and about to miss your turn, don't try to cut across traffic at the last second. Go past, turn around and come back. Don't inconvenience others for your mistake.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
There are three lanes, the middle one being for turning so move to it when you are turning across traffic. Do not sit in the traffic lane blocking traffic and then when there is no sign of an approaching vehicle for 100 miles deceide to turn across the turning lane and across the opposing lane.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That is why drivers in Florida are REDICULOUS! I have drove in over half the states, and Florida drivers are the most reckless! :p
It's because all of you northerners come down and bring your terrible driving along. I have to say that the drivers in Miami Dade are the absolute worst. I've seen my share of poor driving and Miami drivers take the cake.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
It's because all of you northerners come down and bring your terrible driving along. I have to say that the drivers in Miami Dade are the absolute worst. I've seen my share of poor driving and Miami drivers take the cake.
I think it is just an area around Miami. Not all of Florida, and not all Florida drivers. The worst driving I have ever witnessed was in the Miami area. Changing over 3 lanes while passing people over 100 MPH is never a good practice.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Illinoisans are also particularly bad. I drive to Chicago a lot, and the Illinois cars are usually the ones driving as if they're the only ones on the road.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
Yup, drivers in Miami are pretty bad. Especially around 8th street.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
No one taught me anything about driving, yet I can drive as good as an experienced driver. I've been watching people drive ever since I was a little kid, and that in itself is the best experience you could ever get. Except if you're riding with a careless, crazy driver.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
dude, a lot of people watch others drive beginning in childhood.