DRM free - what does that mean to me?

sbpwjm

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
DRM free iTunes were announced today at MacWorld...

What does that mean to me?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
It basically means your music is YOUR music, to take and put on any device you like. It's no longer tied to iTunes, or tied to whatever Microsoft's latest format is.

It's 'Ding Dong The Witch is Dead' type news - although I don't recall seeing it announced today yet in the keynote speech ...

Oops, now I saw their announcement of it - hurrah.

sbpwjm

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
ahhh.... so if i've never played or moved the music to a device other than my ipod, iPhone, etc... it doesn't mean much to me...

although some songs are apparently cheaper now as well...

in any event, sounds like good news... not necessarily very exciting for me but i suppose for others out there...

thanks for the reply!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
What it means is I might actually start buying music off iTunes now. Not likely though since gomusic.ru still has cheaper prices at $0.15 per song, and as big of a selection as iTunes.

Does anyone know if we can choose to download everything in MP3 format instead of AAC?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Very nice. They've also announced $0.69 songs, which is welcome as well. I see that you have the option to upgrade your library, but it costs $0.30 per song.. I think I'll stick with my DRM'd tracks. I don't have too many.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Very nice. They've also announced $0.69 songs, which is welcome as well. I see that you have the option to upgrade your library, but it costs $0.30 per song.. I think I'll stick with my DRM'd tracks. I don't have too many.
Yeah, I think this is much better news looking forward, rather than towards existing libraries - have seen folks talking about $200 and such for upgrading or whatever to strip DRM on existing stuff ...

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I wonder how we can upgrade to DRM-free? There doesn't seem to be an option in iTunes yet.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I wonder how we can upgrade to DRM-free? There doesn't seem to be an option in iTunes yet.
In iTunes go to music. Look under quick links on the upper right side. Click on upgrade my library. Here you will get a rundown of what you can upgrade.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
What it means is I might actually start buying music off iTunes now. Not likely though since gomusic.ru still has cheaper prices at $0.15 per song, and as big of a selection as iTunes.

Does anyone know if we can choose to download everything in MP3 format instead of AAC?
I completely agree. Although the DRM crap was the biggest reason why I never purchased anything from the iTunes store, the price has been a very close second. I might actually buy something off iTunes if I can't find it anywhere else now :laugh2:

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Before we purchase a new song is there a way to know if it's already drm free?