Drop proof- does it exist?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 12, 2009
Hey there. It seems like all the cases I've seen so far mainly protect from cosmetic damage. I need a case that makes my iPhone virtually drop proof. Anyone found a compromise between size and shockproof? I don't want to have a brick of rubber in my pocket, but don't believe the slim-line cases will do much in the event of a drop. (I've had one already, 2 weeks in to a new 3GS, on concrete, I'm a clutz) The IvySkin Quattro looks promising. I'm new to iPhone, and so far am very impressed, but tired of worrying about the killer drop. Thanks.

macmad

Aug 7, 2008
NYC
That would be a soft silicon case. I like them but I hate how they attract dust and get dirty quickly

Stay away from those....

aj0538

Oct 26, 2009
Hey there. It seems like all the cases I've seen so far mainly protect from cosmetic damage. I need a case that makes my iPhone virtually drop proof. Anyone found a compromise between size and shockproof? I don't want to have a brick of rubber in my pocket, but don't believe the slim-line cases will do much in the event of a drop. (I've had one already, 2 weeks in to a new 3GS, on concrete, I'm a clutz) The IvySkin Quattro looks promising. I'm new to iPhone, and so far am very impressed, but tired of worrying about the killer drop. Thanks.
I got an Incipio case that I sort of like. I got it when I got the phone. A few days latter, a friend went and got an iPhone (I gave her a bad case of iPhone envy) She got the otterbox. It looks like a milspec case. The guy at the att store had one on his phone and knocked it off the counter to show my friend how tuff it was. She balked at the $54 price tag so he brought her outside and threw it on the concrete. The phone was not harmed at all.

I now wish I would have bought the otterbox. It is bulky but it suspends the phone inside of the case. I think we're stuck with "bulky" if we want the phone to be really protected. A lot of the cases I've seen are more like fashion accessories.

Oct 2, 2008
I've had at least a dozen cases for my iPhone and now iPhone 3G. What I can't find is a case like the ones made for Blackberrys, but with velcro or a snap instead of a magnet. (My first iPhone started making whining noises after being in a Blackberry case for 2 months.)

603doug

Jan 3, 2009
The otterbox defender is great and their customer service is second to none. I have a construction co and beat the crap out of my case and the phone is same shape as new. I have broke the case (my fault not otterbox's) and they have both time replaced the whole system plus last time sent 2. I have dropped on crete, out of trucks and it holds up great. Kind of disappointed like to upgrade to 3gs but the 3g works great:)

Nov 22, 2008
ive also dropped my phone out of my truck onto concrete with no case just a screen protector. only scratched the back up..

ill take my chances.

603doug

Jan 3, 2009
For 30 bucks I am not the chance type. I am clumsy about dropping delicate things and my luck I would drop it on the grass and it would hit the one rock in 40 acres and exploded.

sifon187

Nov 7, 2009
Right now I have the Casemate naked case for now. I really enjoy the built in screen protector. I have dropped my three times now on my hardwood floors with no damage. The case has taking all the scratches and scuffs and has kept my phone in nearly perfect condition. The only complaint I have is the case allows mostire under the screen proctector and the phone. Also it has put some small scratches on the back of my phone from removing and putting the phone back in the case. I plan on buying a otter box defender in the future.

NewGuy

Bronze
Dec 30, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.facebook.com
angeldsds said:
I love this song. Sorry guys I'm a new user and I just wanted to comment on the song. My friend recently sent it to me and I fell in love with it and I just can't stop listening to it. I love romanian songs...it's probably because my country borders Romania...we're neighbors! lol
what in gods name are u talking about?

Bryman

Bronze
May 30, 2009
colorado
+30 for defender............i was on a 12 foot ladder today at work, and was dumb enough to answer my text message, dropped the phone watched it bounce, i think i may have jumped from the ladder lol, but all that was wrong was a scuff on the corner that hit the concrete!

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
The case was not designed to make your phone look pretty after you have scratched it all up. The case was designed to prevent your phone from being damaged while you work. If you work in any trade where your phone might be damaged while you work, this case will outperform any other case on the market. Even though it may be a couple millimeters wider or thicker than other cases, it is the only case I would trust to protect my phone while working.

This case is meant to protect your phone, period. If you are not working and just need light protection, there are plenty of more aesthetic options. When talking about drop protection though, this case is probably the best protection offered.

I find it funny when people talk about how bulky this case is when compared to other cases. It is just a millimeter bigger.

Mar 11, 2010
I would definitely look into the Otterbox lineup. They make some very solid cases, but ryanrrr is right, it does make it huge

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
If its protection your looking for, than the Otterbox is your best bet! It might not be the sexiest phone out there...but, it feels great in your hands! I wouldn't spend a dime on any other case, not to mention that the customer support from Otterbox is untouchable!