Drop proof- does it exist?

Xanthous

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
St. Louis, Missouri
I've dropped my iPhone 2g atleast 20x an average height of my waist and it has not broken. The otterbox cases are just about the best protection your going to find, I don't think you need all that though, a decent silicon case would be better than what I have, nothing.

bparkerson04

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I have to agree with the otterbox crowd. You cannot beat the protection, and their customer support is amazing. If there is anything wrong with your case, they'll replace the whole case or the part. They rock. If you want the best protection, your going to have to sacrifice somewhere, and bulk is that sacrifice here. It's not terrible though. My only gripe with the otterbox defender is the holster. I still had my phone get knocked out of the redesigned ones. Oh, also, you van get a defender for around $30 off of Amazon.

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
I also love my otterbox...only problem is finding a car radio tuner/cradle that will accomadate the phone in the case. Its really a pain to remove it when i want to listen to my tunes and replace when i get out. Other than that..."Top Notch Product"!

Nusc

May 28, 2010
OTTERBOX DEFENDER!

Im in the building trade, i dropped my phone from an 8m high wall & the thing just bounced. Not a scratch!

But, the downside is that it is slightly chunky, but that doesn't bother me cos i know its very well protected!

Gud luk

May 21, 2010
Portland, OR
Yes the bomb proof case prevails lol...rather have a bulky pocket than a broke iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I just don't get this, if you want a big bulky phone then fine! No thanks.

If I was this worried about a phone getting damaged I'd buy a £10 throw-away phone that I'm quite happy losing.

Remember, you are carrying/using a phone, not a brick.

mickyfu

Jun 3, 2010
Liverpool
I have seen good reviews on the iband. Although I cant see how it can protect all of your phone

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Let's just put an end to this. unless the screen is protected with a very strong shield and the corners are surrounded by at least 3mm of shock-absorbing rubberized gel and the whole thing was encased in a poly-carbonate shell, there is no way to call it drop proof.
Even with the specs I listed, there will always be a chance that the phone will get damaged.
Having said that, it comes down to 3 things:
1) how clumsy are you?
2) how often would your phone be in "danger" - example is if you work on a construction site, mechanic's shop, etc.
3) how do you carry your phone? I used to be a belt clip carrier, having my phone off my hip all the time. One good bump into a wall (pre-iphone thankfully) and the phone was crushed. Now I keep it in my left pocket with a Slider case on it and a Crystal Support anti-glare screen protector. I have dropped this phone 4 times now. 2 times on concrete, and 2 on tiled flooring. my phone remains in pristine condition.
Use those 3 questions to help determine what you need, and then shop for the one you want.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I'm a teenager and there's ultimately no way of getting away from the fact that my iPhone gets thrown about all the time and dropped at least once every two weeks. I have an incase slider case and before this I used the belkin rubber cases and my phones pristine.

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
I didn't read through this whole thread by I have my 3g in a contour showcase and its been "drop proof" for me. I've dropped it a million times even on concrete face down and have no scratches, dents or cracks on the phone. under the case I have a invisible sheild that protects it from dirt inside the case.

LorenA9

Bronze
Dec 16, 2010
You can search on ebay, then pick it up as your willing. The keywords maybe "drop proof iPhone 4 case".

Good Luck to you.

falco300

May 16, 2011
I just got the Griffin Survivor, and I think it's the best case I've ever owned. This thing is killer!

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
Very true, I have an Otterbox myself. The Impact Case.
In fact, here in Singapore it is so rare to see an Otterbox, it's the same like spotting a Ducati.
And most of my friends said the case was pretty, though huge.
Us SGeans are weird people. :D

And it survived most of my real life tests without even breaking a sweat. Like the ad on where the iPhone was left on the bumper on the pickup? I did that by accident. Mine's a yellow colour case, and it showed no signs of scratch. 0.0
Amazing stuff.

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Drop-proof is very realistic.

I have - with my 3GS Otterbox Defender - thrown my phone at the ground to prove a point to friends. Even strangers.

Also, see:
Drop from 23 stories up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSaywLJdtVQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
1,000 feet
http://i.tuaw.com/2011/03/23/iphone-4-survives-1-000-foot-fall-from-airplane/
Both of those landed on grass/woody areas, I think that it would have been a different story had the iPhones both landed on concrete.