Dropbox and space on iPad ?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps and Games' started by Got_famous06, May 9, 2014.

1. Got_famous06

Got_famous06 Member
    Bronze

so iv been uploading a lot of comics to dropbox because its a cloud based storage, as long as i have my hotspot i can read the comics anywhere and not take up all the extra space on my ipad. but it looks like i was wrong. when i go to read a comic (pdf file) its actually downloading the file to my ipad and then lets me read it, i thought it would open it from the cloud and let me read it that way, not taking up extra space on my ipad. i didn't think it would actually download the files since its cloud based i was thinking it would load it and let me "view it" and only download it if i click the "export" to open in another app, being ibooks to read it that way. i noticed this when i connected my ipad to iTunes and said i had 6 GB of "other". i checked my space in the ipad settings and noted what the size was, "opened" a few comics and sure enough space was going down.
    was gonna postlinks but i guess im not allowed yet :\
    i had 704MB left,i "opened" aquaman 1 (17.2MB) checked the settings i then i had 675MB of space.
    i closed out the app and deleted it completely and i got a full gig back of free space

and as a bonus problem for some reason im also getting that pdfs cant be read sometimes

can anyone fill me in on this ? is this true that the app downloads the actual file and its pretty pointless to have the app on my ipad. i should just put them on my ipad when i want to read them then because just closeing the app doesn't get my space back

2. yukhalilsel

yukhalilsel New Member

That's called caching and since Dropbox doesn't have a clear cache option, the only way to clear it, is by deleting the app from your device and reinstall it.

Don't worry, you'll lose nothing except the cache

3. Got_famous06

Got_famous06 Member
    Bronze

Since I'm jail broken I have ifile and I did some digging and found the Dropbox app location, it's actually downloading the PDF file, but if I get to full I guess I'll just have to go to I ifile location and manually delete them when I egg to full, which is really dumb