Dropbox app question

radtechy

Contributor
Silver
Jul 20, 2011
If Dropbox is cloud storage then why is there almost a gig taking up space on my ipad?

radtechy

Contributor
Silver
Jul 20, 2011
Not talking about iCloud. Dropbox is cloud storage so if my Dropbox acct is on their cloud (dropbox's) why is there all that stuff taking up space on my device

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Interesting. I'm sure someone has clear information on this to help, but I know sometimes deleted files etc actually get trapped where you can't see it but it's there. Hidden.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If Dropbox is cloud storage then why is there almost a gig taking up space on my ipad?

Items in DropBox that are favorited are stored locally on the device in addition to being in the DropBox cloud. This is so you can quickly access them without having to go through the internet or for when you're in airplane mode. Removing items from your favorites list (unfavoriting them) will free up that space.

radtechy

Contributor
Silver
Jul 20, 2011
Items in DropBox that are favorited are stored locally on the device in addition to being in the DropBox cloud. This is so you can quickly access them without having to go through the internet or for when you're in airplane mode. Removing items from your favorites list (unfavoriting them) will free up that space.
I don't have one favorite selected. Never used that feature ever.

I'm starting to think it may store the uploads that were done from my device. Deleting the app and reinstalling will probably wipe that out and my data is still on the cloud so I won't lose it. Any thoughts on that?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL

I'm starting to think it may store the uploads that were done from my device. Deleting the app and reinstalling will probably wipe that out and my data is still on the cloud so I won't lose it. Any thoughts on that?
Your data and all will still be on your Dropbox via your login.

I think I see what you're saying. If it stores your uploads you do via your device. For me this is a headache just thinking about it. :mad:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Make sure you didn't accidentally tap the yellow star on any of your files. It would be easy to do. If you haven't, I would delete the app, reboot and reinstall it. Post back if that doesn't free the space.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I use Box, which is similar to Dropbox. The Box app has a delete cache option in it's settings. The app can grow rather quickly. I don't know if Dropbox has the delete cache. But deleting the app does the same thing.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
I use dropbox frequently and what I've found is that the files you upload to dropbox, from whatever source, stay on the original source unless you delete them from the source. They will however remain in your dropbox in the cloud until they are deleted from that location.