Dropbox

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by Fantomas318 ツ, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Hello people! I've just gotten the Dropbox app. Do you think that is a good app to have?

It is now uploading all my pictures.
    Does it consume extra space on my iPhone then?

My pictures space is 1GB atm, will it be 2GB when Dropbox is finished?
    Or will Dropbox put 1GB extra space on my iCloud memory?

Or how does this work?
    Is it best I stop Dropbox and remove it?
    I dunno if I even need it...

//Thanks for helping a Dropbox n00b like me.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's a great way to store and backup media, transfer it to your other devices or link it and send it to others. I recommend keeping it.

It's a cloud service. It doesn't use internal storage on the iPhone. The used space on your phone will remain the same unless you favorite something in DropBox. Favoriting content downloads it to the device for offline viewing. If you did this with one picture, for example, you would have a duplicate: one in your camera roll and one stored in the DropBox app. Everything else in DropBox would just be in the cloud and inaccessible offline.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The only space taken is the app, not the photos. You get 2 gb of free storage. You can purchase more if you want. You can gain more space by getting others to use Dropbox. Also, you may have a lot of photos it is now uploading that you may not really need to store or back up. You can delete those. I have a lot of junk photos, so I don't put all I have on the camera roll in Dropbox. I also use Box. It gives you 10 gb free. It's like Dropbox. I think it's better.
    Update: Europa posted while I was typing. :)

4. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Okies, I had 12,1GB free space in iCloud so when I'm done with Dropbox it will be 11,1GB free space?
    (Since my pictures is 1GB)

Update: Ledsteplin posted while I was typing.

Then I guess I still will have 12,1GB when it's done?
    Since you get 2GB free?

#4 Fantomas318 ツ, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No. iCloud is not the same cloud as Dropbox. You get 5 gb free in iCloud. You get 2gb free in Dropbox. How much space in iCloud do you have available? Go to Settings>iCloud>Storage and Back Up. It tells you there how much is available. On Dropbox, if your photos took 1gb, then you should have 1gb available.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by "12,1 GB," but DropBox is completely separate from iCloud storage. The amount you use in iCloud is irrelevant. You will have the same amount of free and utilized space on the phone and in iCloud after you upload to DropBox. You can delete items from the phone afterwards if you want and this will free up some space. You should have 2 GB of free storage in DropBox.

7. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

In settings I still have 12,1GB, so it seems nice!

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can't have 12.1 gb of storage in iCloud, unless you paid for additional storage. Did you buy storage in iCloud? You may be looking at your phones internal storage. That's the space your phone has for apps, music, photos and stuff. That's not iCloud. ICloud backs all that stuff up. To find your iCloud available storage, go to Settings> then to iCloud> then scroll down to Back up and Storage. Tap that. There you will see your iCloud available storage. It looks like this:
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1406078064.936458.jpg

9. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

You may want to turn off the automatic uploading of your photos feature. It's nice but it will upload EVERY picture you take with your camera. Since many of mine I wouldn't want to upload, I keep it turned off. Other than that, dropbox is an excellent app.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's what I do. Box doesn't do that. I just create folders and put files in them. OneDrive likes to upload it all. I downloaded OneDrive yesterday and before I knew what was going on it was uploading all my photos. This morning I looked and found a note that said my account had been suspended for TOS voilations. I had no clue. I filled out a form and later got an email from a nice lady who said my account was suspended because of irregular activity. ? And that I was good to go. IDK, beats me!

11. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Haha. Be aware what you share. Lol.

12. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Yes, I bought some space in in iCloud, because I got this message that my iCloud was getting almost full...

That maybe it was a stupid thing to do?
    Because since I have 12,1GB left I would have had 2,1GB left if I didn't buy it?
    But I guess it will ask me if I want to keep paying for it next year?
    Since I think that you pay for 1 year at a time?

And another question about Dropbox.
    Will it be uploading my pictures again if I keep location services on?
    Or shall I turn it off location services for Dropbox so it doesn't want to upload again?

Update: I just Read Kriss comment, so I guess I turn off automatic upload of pictures.

#12 Fantomas318 ツ, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  13. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Do I turn it off were it say "kamerauppladdning" on the picture I'll add?

Or is it enough to put location services off? ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1406107512.360807.jpg

#13 Fantomas318 ツ, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh, you meant 12.1, not 12,1. The misused comma caused some confusion.

In my opinion, buying extra iCloud space is a waste of money. There are free cloud services out there. You could get a couple of them (I use DropBox and Google Drive) or refer a few people and end up with the same amount of space you have now with no high annual fees.

15. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Okies, ty.

Will Apple warn when my iCloud purchase are about to expire, or will they just auto refill it so I have to pay again?

16. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

No, you need to turn Camera Upload off. I think it's "kamerauppladdning".

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You should receive a notice with the option to buy or not buy. If you get Dropbox and other cloud storage apps, you should be able to get your iCloud down below 5 gb. As long as you do that, you will not need to buy more space in iCloud. Is it photos that are taking up so much of your iCloud storage? Be sure when you add photos to Dropbox and other apps, that you delete those photos from your camera roll. This frees up space in both your phone's internal storage and in iCloud. You may even have some photos you no longer need and can just delete those. You can also store photos on your computer, if you use one. Here's some cloud storage options:
    Dropbox
    Box
    Google Drive
    Google+
    Flickr
    Amazon Cloud Drive (Use your Amazon account log in credentials if you have one.)

Remember to turn "Auto Save" off in any app you use. That way you can pick and choose what to upload.

18. LadyJec

LadyJec New Member

It can keep a copy of your pictures and other files. If you have change a phone or pc, then download from it. I like the app.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Box and Dropbox are a lot alike. Box gives you 10 free gb of storage and Dropbox only 2 free gb. You can delete cache in Box but not in Dropbox. I use both.

20. Zippidydoodah

Zippidydoodah New Member

I am old, 70-1/2, have iPhone 4S w ios6.1.3 and 13.7 gb used with 621mb avail(21 songs, 21 videos,1758 pics, 44 apps)
    iCloud says3.3 gb avail but don't know how to make it use it? Help?