Dropped calls with the iPhone 6 (Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by radtechy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

My wife had hers for 3 days and has been dropping calls.

I had only got mine today.

Verizon said it could be a bad SIM card or the internal antenna is bad. Also my network extender wasn't picking up the phones either.

The only change to settings that could cause this was.....I changed the LTE setting from data to voice and data (VoLTE) which is a new feature of the 6. I wonder if it's a glitch or the VoLTE is the cause.

Once I put it back to data only the network extender connected but I haven't tried calls yet

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try resetting your network settings and then testing it for a day or two. If you still have dropped calls, disable VoLTE and test again.

3. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

Verizon's Network Extender does not support VoLTE and they don't offer an LTE based Network Extender. So when VoLTE is enabled on the iPhone 6/6+, the phone will actually prefer connecting to a weak and essentially unusable LTE Voice signal instead of the strong CDMA Network Extender signal. The work around for this is disabling VoLTE (set to Data Only) so it will connect to the extender. Of course this prevents you from having Voice & Data at the same time. Disappointing Verizon didn't previously test this considering the iP6/6+ are not their first VoLTE phones.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using iCafe App.

4. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

So that explains that. If I praise Verizon's cell service I always get the AT&T fans saying well I can do data while on a call.

When I'm home I have my wifi while using the extender. But even while being out the wife is dropping calls. So I'm wondering if that the VoLTE service is not good yet with the 6. As of last night I turned off the voice and data and left just data and I'm curious to see if the drops stop.

That was the only thing that wasn't the same from every I phone since the 4s, 5, 5s I had great service with all verizon

5. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

It could be that VoLTE is not fully rolled out in your area. I know here in Dallas it is rolled out and active. Check with Verizon and see what the full roll out status for VoLTE is in your area.

6. shark5150

shark5150 New Member

I'm not having that problem. VoLTE has been rolled out here in Philadelphia and surrounds, so maybe that's the answer. Actually, the sound quality on my Plus is much better than my previous iPhones. A more clear, rich sound.

7. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

I'm not sure it's necessarily a 6 thing. My wife has been dropping calls left and right with her Verizon 5S lately.

8. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I'm in New York and hour away from NYC

9. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Wait, this is a thing where you can't use voice and data simultaneously? I do that everyday and I'm supposed to be switching to Verizon. Get with it Verizon

10. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I'm not sure if mine is necessarily a drop call issue but my wife tried calling me 4 times today and mine never rang. It happens to her calling her sister on an s4 too. So I'm wondering what's up. I got a voice mail this weekend where my phone never rang and I was in plenty of signal. Def not experiencing a perfect connection somewhere.

Sent using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That used to happen to me on AT&T about once a month on my 3GS, 4 and 4S. Extensive troubleshooting did nothing. I was convinced it was AT&T. I haven't noticed it happening for about two years and I'm still on AT&T.

12. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

So the phone is screwed. The speaker and the earpiece are both faulty. Intermittently and it's more the earpiece. Now they are telling me to go to apple and get it repaired cause of course they don't have any....screw them I want a new device it's 3 days old they have the 128 and we have a 64 so I said upgrade me and the difference should be on you the guy said I would have to pay 100 and the 35 restock fee cause I'm changing devices. Are the people serious. And I have the asiurion insurance for 10 a month as it is. This is outrageous.

13. Badfishy

Badfishy Contributor
    Bronze

That sucks.

Let me get this right. You want them to give you the 128gb for your 64gb and they pay the difference? BTW, look into Square trade for insurance. It's much cheaper and easy to use.

14. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I was just saying give me a 128 for the 64 cause they could have it in stock and just send it to me. This is my wife's phone, she would be more than happy with the 64 but they can't even do that for us. I've been back and forth now 3 hrs on the phone with them

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Manufacturing defects are typically handled through Apple and not the carrier, though I have seen carriers replace them at times. I don't think they can do it if they don't have the same phone in stock.

Do you live near an Apple Store? If so, schedule a Genius Bar appointment and Apple will replace it. If not, call Apple and they will ship you a new phone with two-day shipping. Shipping will be free if you have AppleCare+ and $29 if you don't. The replacement itself will be free since it's a manufacturing defect. You then ship the old one back to them in the same box with the prepaid shipping label.

Restore to factory settings first just to be certain that it is a hardware defect.

16. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

They suck. Wife is going to the Apple Store they are getting a shipment today. But the can't guarantee that they will set one aside (Verizon said that) and she will probably have to make 2 trips. 1 to show them and 1 for a swap.

17. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I'm beyond furious now. They won't issue me a credit to off set me spending the extra 100 for the 128 which they have in stock to ship me and nothing for our time and headache. You think it would be the right thing to just make the situation right? They suck and I'm sucked in cause it would be a lot of money to cancel and start up again with someone else. They always win

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple will often compensate you for the hassle carriers put you though. Give Apple a call once you get the new phone and explain the situation. They will probably give you a credit for a free case or something on Apple.com.

19. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

If you don't mind me asking, how did they determine the speaker and the earpiece were both faulty? I'm asking cause I've started to experience some weird behavior with my iP6 while on calls and I've been wondering if the issue could be related to either the speaker, earpiece or both.

20. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Speaker phone was choppy. And earpiece you couldn't hear anything through period. The phone was diagnosed electronically that it thought there was a headset plugged in and there wasn't and wouldn't work even if you put a headset in