Dropped iPhone and now home button won't work

Apr 21, 2008
Well just today I was sitting on the my couch and as I was getting up I dropped my iPhone and it hit the floor. Everything was working okay until I noticed my home button wouldn't work AT ALL. I tried many things thinking maybe it was just jammed. I pressed it multiple times and pushed down on the button as hard as humanly possible, and turned my phone on and off many times but, no luck. The next thing that bothered me was that in an attempt to plug my phone into my windows computer iTunes and my computer would not find the phone. i tried all the different usb ports including trying my wall charger but once again no luck. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to restore my phone completely to get rid of all my 3rd party apps and then go to Apple to tell them that the home buttons broke, seeing as though I can't go to them with a jailbroken phone or they'd kick me right out. If anyone can offer advice on what to do please speak up, all help will be greatly appreciated.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Just wondering does the computer find it at all or is it just iTunes that cant?

Apr 21, 2008
The computer won't even find it. Like you know how when you first plug it in the phone will vibrate twice and the battery bar will show up indication a charge? Well, in this case it doesn't happen. Is it possible that dropping the phone damaged the home button along with the bottom half of the phone (say the port for instance)?

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Ya sounds like it......does it even charge?

Apr 21, 2008
No, it won't. I'm trying to figure out a way to restore it completely because in order to get it replaced I can't have it jailbroken. Or, atleast I think so. Does Apple fix phones that are jailbroken, or no?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Deja vu.

There's someone else with a very similar problem posting right now. And here's what I told him/her:

Let the phone drain down so it doesn't power on anymore. Take it back to Apple and tell them it doesn't connect to the computer or take a charge anymore (does it work with AC charger, btw?). With it dead, they won't know it's jailbroken.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Good call but does it look all messed up on the bottom? will they still accept it?

Apr 21, 2008
Brilliant idea! It doesn't work with the AC charger, and it shows no sign of damage on the phone. Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate it. Once I have it drained and take it to Apple I'll let you know what happens.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Good luck. Let this be a warning.... buy a case. From the EIC store. ;)

Apr 21, 2008
Okay, now I've got a serious problem. The phone will charge via AC and computer and once it hits a sufficient battery life it shows a cord and iTunes emblem on my screen showing that I need to plug it into iTunes, but iTunes still can't find my phone, nor can my computer! Now what should I do?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
As for the home button, that sounds like a hardware issue, and you'll have to see about that.

To get the computer to recognize it, there are a few things to do.
• Try a different USB cord an/or port.
• Reinstall iTunes.
• Read this article from Apple on the subject.

- John

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I've personally never heard of this before. I'm inteested to see the feed back on this one for sure.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't heard of this "microwave" technique so I'm not going to tell you to try it. I would just suggest letting the battery die down completely. If you can't get it to charge and can't get it to connect to the computer then the odds are that Apple won't either so they will have no real other option than to replace the phone.

Aug 28, 2007
stick something up its pooper. that should do the trick.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This is easily the craziest warranty ripoff scheme I've ever heard. Good luck with it and post pictures!

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
yes. I wana see pics after. Haha

Apr 21, 2008
alright i'll take pictures and post them up once i've finished and i'll let you know what happens, thanks :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I was kidding. Don't microwave your iPhone please.