Dropped iPhone in washer. Ruined?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

twestrope

Jul 15, 2009
I dropped my iPhone into the washer tonight just as the water was coming on. I quickly grabbed it and it appeared pretty dry. The phone works as do various apps, email,etc. BUT, once I am into a program the home button does not work to take me back to the home screen. Is it ruined? Is it worth the time to take it to an Apple store or Verizon? Is there anything I can still do other than to get my credit card out? Thanks.

twestrope

Jul 15, 2009
Doing an Internet search it mentions using uncooked rice. One of the posters said cooked rice. Is one better than the other?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I dropped my iPhone into the washer tonight just as the water was coming on. I quickly grabbed it and it appeared pretty dry. The phone works as do various apps, email,etc. BUT, once I am into a program the home button does not work to take me back to the home screen. Is it ruined? Is it worth the time to take it to an Apple store or Verizon? Is there anything I can still do other than to get my credit card out? Thanks.
For future reference, the best thing to do is immediately power it down and put it in a rice bag for at least four days. Powering it on any sooner, especially right after it got wet, will decrease the odds of success.

Tonynlia

Bronze
Oct 15, 2011
If that doesn't work you could always put the rice in the microwave and have it with some sweet n sour sauce

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I think if you get it to that point you would start heating the phone. Not a good idea IMO.
I think placing it somewhere warm versus a cool spot would be better. The point of putting it in a back of rice is to force condensation & have the rice absorb the water.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Some people use a heat lamp. If anything, it will speed up the process. It's not going to cause any more damage than is already done.

mrbunglez

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 20, 2008
You can take it to Apple if none of your water sensors in the headphone port or charge port turned pink they'll give you a replacement. Worked for me after my son spilled water on my phone, before I was LifeProof'd. Once you get your replacement get it liquipelled and use a LifeProof case for added protection.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can take it to Apple if none of your water sensors in the headphone port or charge port turned pink they'll give you a replacement. Worked for me after my son spilled water on my phone, before I was LifeProof'd. Once you get your replacement get it liquipelled and use a LifeProof case for added protection.
They will be pink since it was dropped in water. I think Apple charges $150 for the replacement. It's only $50 if you have Apple Care+.