Dropped iPhone, internal crack, stuck pixel? Hm. (photos included)

Sep 23, 2008
Hello. I dropped my iPhone (not 3g) while at work. Luckily, the glass didn't shatter or anything. After a few minutes of using it, I noticed a bubble-like yellow discoloration on the left bottom corner (on the grey area before the arrow where it says 'slide to unlock'). It sorta reminded of what liquid would look like under the screen. I was using it sideways later on & noticed the discoloration went away, but now there was a fine thin vertical white line where the discoloration was. You could barely tell. A few hours later, the white vertical line kinda separated to form something like this "-" going down. Is that a dead pixel or what? Any solutions to make it go away? Btw, when the phone is off, there is no line or anything... it looks normal. No external damages. I can live with it, the phone still works, but I was just wondering. Thanks!

Btw, after a few days... the pixels would change shape or position. I feel like it's going towards the middle more. I took these today:

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Sad to say that the apearence of the cracks will spread as time goes on. It is kind of like a wind shield on a car when a rock hits it. The reason you see it more when the phone is on is the light amplifies the imperfections.

SORRY!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
There isn't really much you can do. If it looks fine when it's off, the damage is in the screen itself.

Looks like those pixels will be stuck like that when your screen is on. You got off lucky. Was it nekkid when you dropped it?

tibby

Apr 30, 2010
What happened with your phone?

I dropeed mine and its done the exact same thing!

Massaging the screen makes it go away but when its cold it comes back. Its very strange.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
More than likely, the damage is to the horizontal screen connections. if the connections crack, they can still get some juice, but not enough to display correctly.

hifive

Jan 4, 2011
what's next?

hi mr showguy
I have the same problem, I dropped an item on my iPhone's screen and horizontal line got spread along whole upper screen.
SHOULD I REPLACE THE LCD NOW or JUST DIGITILIZER REPLACEMENT WOULD BE ENOUGH?
Sad to say that the apearence of the cracks will spread as time goes on. It is kind of like a wind shield on a car when a rock hits it. The reason you see it more when the phone is on is the light amplifies the imperfections.

SORRY![/QUOTE]

hifive

Jan 4, 2011

SORRY![/QUOTE]

SORRY!

tibby

Apr 30, 2010
hi mr showguy
I have the same problem, I dropped an item on my iPhone's screen and horizontal line got spread along whole upper screen.

LCD

hifive

Jan 4, 2011
thanks

hi mr showguy

LCD

Thank You mr Tibby