Dropped iPhone, scratched badly. What are my options?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 8, 2007
I originally had the Sena leather case for my iPhone. I got tired of removing it everytime I pick up calls. Quite a snug fit on my iPhone, which at that time was in PERFECT condition then.

I bought the Griffin hard crystal case thinking it would protect my baby even if I were to accidentally drop it. Well, a few days ago running in the rain I dropped it. The case not only failed--it opened and the iPhone slid across the wet pavement. Running to it in disbelief, I checked to see if it was ok. To my devastation, the screen had five scratches on it about one to a half a centimeter each. The metal rim was pretty scratch up on every corner and on every side. The back side with the Apple logo, however is in perfect condition.

I have been searching the internet to see if I can replace the screen or somehow repair/fix the metal rim. I found out that you could essentially replace the screen for about $170 (not including professional installment). As for the metal rim, buff the rim w/ a scotch brite sponge (yup the green dishwashing sponge we all know), but unfortunately you would lose the reflective appearance of the rim.

What should I do to get a new one? Should I sell the one I have on ebay? Should I give a shot at calling Apple and seeing if I could trade it in and they could give me a new one even if it means I need to pay?

I feel real bad about how it looks now...:biting finger nails:
Last edited by minyaruthien : Today at 12:18 AM.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Anything is possible; but at the same time, I cant imagine Apple replacing it because it was dropped and substained physical damage. How long have you had it and where did you buy your cases from?

I don't think (and I could be wrong) that any case manufacturer guarantees that a case will not pop open if dropped onto a hard surface.

Are you near an Apple store where you can take it to (along with the cases) and explain what happened. Maybe, just maybe you may get some help. Calling on the phone may get you the run around.

Also, if you opt to sell on eBay, be honest- don't hide the defects.

Good Luck to you; keep us posted.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I think they fix broken displays for $250. Well, they don't actually fix them; they just replace them with refurbs. You might want to try that. I would much rather have a refurb with a one year warranty, than a scratched up brand new one with a one year warranty.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Unfortunately scratches will happen.

While you can replace the parts yourself, it's a better idea to take it to Apple. Doing it yourself is risky unless you really know what you're doing, and will definitely knows what they're doing.

I recommend the Agent 18 case next time around.

- John

Dec 8, 2007
Anything is possible; but at the same time, I cant imagine Apple replacing it because it was dropped and substained physical damage. How long have you had it and where did you buy your cases from?

I don't think (and I could be wrong) that any case manufacturer guarantees that a case will not pop open if dropped onto a hard surface.

Are you near an Apple store where you can take it to (along with the cases) and explain what happened. Maybe, just maybe you may get some help. Calling on the phone may get you the run around.

Also, if you opt to sell on eBay, be honest- don't hide the defects.

Good Luck to you; keep us posted.
I bought my iPhone opening date at an Apple store in Los Angeles and the griffin iclear case the same place a week ago. I think I'll go to that same Apple store and tell them what happened and bring everything. Thanks for your advice! I'll post again after I speak w/ an Apple rep and also mention about the refurbs Colstiger mentioned.

As for the Agent 18 case, do you have this MacMan? Is the case hard to open--as in is it likely to pop open upon impact?

Thanks!

-Marie

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you want real drop protection, you just can't beat a rubber skin.

The other night (as has happened many times) I forgot my iPhone was in my lap getting out of the car. Face down to the pavement it went... then as I was looking for it, I full-out stepped right on it. I have a skin almost exactly like the Marware Sportgrip and the matte-finish screen protector from the Apple store and... nary a scratch. I was impressed.

I really want the Agent 18 case for looks... but I'm just not sure I can talk myself into it for pretection...

Dec 8, 2007
If you want real drop protection, you just can't beat a rubber skin.

The other night (as has happened many times) I forgot my iPhone was in my lap getting out of the car. Face down to the pavement it went... then as I was looking for it, I full-out stepped right on it. I have a skin almost exactly like the Marware Sportgrip and the matte-finish screen protector from the Apple store and... nary a scratch. I was impressed.

I really want the Agent 18 case for looks... but I'm just not sure I can talk myself into it for pretection...
I went to my Apple store today and spoke w/ a rep. He mentioned that the chances of Apple "trading" your "scratched iPhone" w/ a new one or even a refurb'd one is unlikely. He told me if I were to get another one and switch the sim card...."It would be illegal" By golly! He then said if I were to sell it anywhere (namely ebay) that would be illegal as well. He wasn't much help. He just told me to get a skin that would HIDE the scratches. I WANT A NEW SHINY PRETTY ONE! LOL

What should I do? Any advice? I want to somehow trade mine or sell mine so I can buy a new one at Apple. Keeping my original phone number won't be a problem I'm assuming..

psylichon, what model of rubber skin do you have? Dropping it on the pavement several times? I have to check out what you have :)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I went to my Apple store today and spoke w/ a rep. He mentioned that the chances of Apple "trading" your "scratched iPhone" w/ a new one or even a refurb'd one is unlikely. He told me if I were to get another one and switch the sim card...."It would be illegal" WTF?! He then said if I were to sell it anywhere (namely ebay) that would be illegal as well. He wasn't much help. He just told me to get a skin that would HIDE the scratches. I WANT A NEW SHINY PRETTY ONE! LOL

What should I do? Any advice? I want to somehow trade mine or sell mine so I can buy a new one at Apple. Keeping my original phone number won't be a problem I'm assuming..

psylichon, what model of rubber skin do you have? Dropping it on the pavement several times? I have to check out what you have :)
I used to use the clear plastic case. I stopped using it shortly after purchasing it. I just didn't feel to good about it's protection factor, it also would allow dust in and scratch the bezel. I would suggest getting some Mother's Chrome Polish for the scratched bezel (if the scratches aren't to deep). I now use the Incase, rubber case, it's junk though, because it stretches after a couple of weeks, and also scratches the bezel. Sorry to hear of your misfortune...Mark

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Based on what this rep told you, anyone who gets a replacement, and still has the original sim (although its now being used in a different iPhone) is doing something illegal. How can that be when it's Apple that provided the replacement?

I know you wanted to get yours traded, and as I already posted, due to the physical damage, they probably wouldn't trade. It seems at the very least, they could have offered the option of buying a refurb. Do they even sell refurbs in the Apple store?

Anyway, at this point, I would check around and see who replaces the screen. You may have to send the phone back to Apple to have it done. Its just my opinion, but I think it's the only way you'll get that "new shiny pretty one" again. :laugh2:

Many of us have the Agent 18 case. If it sustains a hard enough drop, that case can separate too.

Sent you a PM...

I went to my Apple store today and spoke w/ a rep. He mentioned that the chances of Apple "trading" your "scratched iPhone" w/ a new one or even a refurb'd one is unlikely. He told me if I were to get another one and switch the sim card...."It would be illegal" WTF?! He then said if I were to sell it anywhere (namely ebay) that would be illegal as well. He wasn't much help. He just told me to get a skin that would HIDE the scratches. I WANT A NEW SHINY PRETTY ONE! LOL

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Based on what this rep told you, anyone who gets a replacement, and still has the original sim (although its now being used in a different iPhone) is doing something illegal. How can that be when it's Apple that provided the replacement?

I know you wanted to get yours traded, and as I already posted, due to the physical damage, they probably wouldn't trade. It seems at the very least, they could have offered the option of buying a refurb. Do they even sell refurbs in the Apple store?

Anyway, at this point, I would check around and see who replaces the screen. You may have to send the phone back to Apple to have it done. Its just my opinion, but I think it's the only way you'll get that "new shiny pretty one" again. :laugh2:

Many of us have the Agent 18 case. If it sustains a hard enough drop, that case can separate too.

Sent you a PM...
Someone mentioned that replacing the screen is 250.00. I would just buy a new phone. Why pay 250.00 when another 150.00 would get you a BRAND NEW Phone? M

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Someone mentioned that replacing the screen is 250.00. I would just buy a new phone. Why pay 250.00 when another 150.00 would get you a BRAND NEW Phone? M
Mark, I was thinking that if he didn't have it done through Apple, he would have to go to an authorized Apple location so the warranty wouldn't be voided. Is the $250 the going fee for screen replacements?

/Off Topic.... OHHHHHH SNAP! You changed the layout of your signature! Blessed it be the day! :p

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Mark, I was thinking that if he didn't have it done through Apple, he would have to go to an authorized Apple location so the warranty wouldn't be voided. Is the $250 the going fee for screen replacements?

/Off Topic.... OHHHHHH SNAP! You changed the layout of your signature! Blessed it be the day!
The price may have come down, since the iPhone price drop, but yes that was the price 250.00 (crazy, isn't it?). M

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
The price may have come down, since the iPhone price drop, but yes that was the price 250.00 (crazy, isn't it?). M
Apple has got to keep making their money somehow. I don't see that price dropping. If you think about it, a low price would negate buying a new iPhone and where would that leave God? I mean, Jobs? :laugh2:

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Hopefully, iPhone v2 (the rear cover) will have the finish, the face of the new iPod Classic has, to make it less slippery. There have been several, "I dropped it" post's lately. Too much "Holiday Cheer" possibly? M
This post made me think about how many products, when first introduced, all have that slippery feel to them. Then when the next version comes along, its what the first one should have been to start.

So far I have been very careful with mine, but one can only be so careful. I'd like to sell mine and I am thrilled that it still looks the same as it did the day I unpackaged it.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I hate my wife's big clunky rubber skin on her iPhone but she's dropped it repeatedly with no damage to the phone at all. I, on the other hand, had a Seidio rubberized case which felt and looked great but which popped open and let my naked iPhone go skittering across the parking lot when I dropped it one time. Now I read about this case failing. Currently I have an Agent 18. It doesn't seem like it can pop off but who knows?

The Agent 18 seems like a great case, I just wish they would rubberize it like the Seidio.

Dec 8, 2007
This post made me think about how many products, when first introduced, all have that slippery feel to them. Then when the next version comes along, its what the first one should have been to start.

So far I have been very careful with mine, but one can only be so careful. I'd like to sell mine and I am thrilled that it still looks the same as it did the day I unpackaged it.
I think I've decided...I'll just buy a brand new iPhone at the same location...Then, I'll sell my old scratched up one on ebay and include tons and tons of pictures of it. I'm part of gophone iPhone plan which means I can cancel anytime w/o any fees. But this would mean that I have to inform everyone about my new iPhone number right? Is it very difficult to keep my old number?

Thanks all for your helpful advice! I think this time around w/ my next iPhone I'll be EXTRA extra careful with it, buy a rubber case to encage it and a screen protector! I really overestimated the invincibility of iPhones after seeing PCWorld's review. -_-

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I dropped it in a 2 foot-deep drift of snow while shoveling today. My gloves were slippery with snow, and it flew in the air like a bar of soap in the shower. I just wanted to take a pic of my front yard. It landed in the drift without a sound (except the screams in my head) and, the snow being fairly light and untouched yet, it sank like the Titanic if only it had hit a much bigger iceberg. I had to dig it out a deep, narrow iphone-made hole, dry it with my coat, blow on all the tiny open ports that were filled with snow and hope it wouldn't die. A minute later, I took a few pics. It still doesn't have a scratch and is working fine.
I do have one of those clear cases.

OK, I only wanted to show off my car. But the story is true. This is iPhone's first winter. I bet it won't be the last one to end up in the snow.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Do you track it at all? (Your BMW, not the phone) If not but would like to you should check out the BMW Car Club of America chapter in your area for information on their HPDE (High Performance Driving Event). Basically you get to drive your car the way it was designed to be driven but never get to (you shouldn't anyway) on the streets.

Most fun you can have with your clothes on!