Dropped my iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Samtheman619, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Samtheman619

Samtheman619 Member
    Bronze

So I dropped my 4s today. I purchased it from the AT&T store on november 4th. I cracked the whole back of the phone- the front isn't harmed at all.

What are my options here? Can i just go in there and get a new one since its only been 12 days since I got it? Will they charge me a lot to fix it? Or should I go buy insurance ASAP then wait about a week and use the insurance on the phone?

Someone help me out please :(

2. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i have heard some peeps say that it depends on how the person feels as the Apple store. if there in a good mood and your extra nice they might just fix it for free. but i dosen't happened to often. whatever you decide to do let us know how it turns out. good luck:)

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

AT&T won't be able to help you. I'd take it to an Apple Store if you live near one. They replace cracked screens on the iPhone 4 for free (first occurrence only). I'm not sure if they will do this with the 4S since they offer Apple Care+ for it which covers accidental damage (with a $50 deductible), but it's worth a shot. If not free, it will probably be less than $100.

If you would rather replace it yourself, you can buy a backplate and a Pentalobe screwdriver. Replacing the front glass is difficult, but replacing the backplate is very easy and only takes a minute. The OEM part is about $80, but I haven't seen any for sale yet. An iPhone 4 backplate will not work. The non-OEM iPhone 4S backplates range from about $15 to 35 and they are available right now.

4. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

They might fix it you can never be sure with the Apple store. But my understanding is its not that expensive to fix the back, something like 35 bucks to fix. Just be glad it's not the front then you are talk a bunch more.

5. Sweetie

Sweetie Member
    Bronze

Dropped mine 2weeks ago in St Louis, I live in Memphis. Found Apple store there took it in, they replaced backplate for me in about 20 min for 29.00. Thought I would get new phone because phone was under 30 days, but it's a "cosmetic" damage so they don't replace the phone. Wasn't mad at all bout $30, left with phone looking brand new again.

6. kiublole

kiublole Member
    Bronze

just ordered from ebay its like i just saw one for 18.95 right now you only have to take the two screws from the bottom , lide up or down (i don't remember ) some people even sell the back glass with the tools and everything

7. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

My daughter dropped hers. Now she has no sound or ringer.

8. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

I agree that the Apple Store route would be the best. I've had very good experiences with the Genius bar people.

9. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I hate going to my Apple store people are good but prefer not to go to the store

10. Jarred

Jarred Contributor
    Bronze

I had that happen with my old 4. Had no sound for a few days an was totally gutted. Turned out the impact was enough to knock the silent switch down - disaster averted! Check the same hasn't happened to your daughters phone :)

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Not had good experience with free 1st time replacement wih 4S. As has been reported, corporate has told Genius Bar to put the kibosh on any free cosmetic (broken glass) swaps since they are now offering Apple Care + w/$49 dollar deductible.
    Snowtrooper Jr dropped mommy's 4S and shattered the screen.
    Been to three local Apple stores and no free love......
    Happened on the 14th, late in the evening.
    Called next day to get Apple Care + on both our 4S's, and was told that the 30 day window had expired, so we were looking @ 199 to replace her screen.
    Was not to keen on non Apple replacement (which I could have done for 90 bucks) since that would have voided warranty.
    Called a few times, let them know I was not offered Apple Care + when I bought the 4S's on launch day @ Sprint, and asked if they could make exception.
    Finally was told on the 16th that after many calls like mine, they have extended the ability to purchase until next month.
    Incidental damage replacement MAY incur deductible surcharge, according to sales, so once u do have Apple Care +, seems like Genius Bar has some flexibility again.
    Gonna wait a few more days before I go back in for the new screen.
    Will keep u posted......

12. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

keeps us posted Snowtrooper1966 as i am interested in how it turns out. as i know a few peeps who need a glass replaced.

13. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Well, it looks like they do indeed still have flexibility....
    Took mrs snowtrooper's 4S in today to get it swapped since her screen was broken.
    They were gonna charge me the 49 dollar Apple Care + deductible, but after a few attempts to ring it up and a quick trip to the back, the genius said "well, I guess this one's on us".
    Only explanation was that black Friday had wreaked havok with their POS system.
    Needless to say, I was very happy!

14. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Nice bit of luck.

15. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

awesome great way to start the thanksgiving weekend:)

16. amishboxer

amishboxer New Member

This literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

#16 amishboxer, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  17. Tracksprinter2014

Tracksprinter2014 New Member

I dropped mine on accident and mine didn't shatter at all. Maybe I'm really lucky or something lol :)