Dropped my iPhone into a bucket of water with epsom salt

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I just dropped my iPhone into a bucket of water with epsom salt for like 3 seconds. I was putting my foot in hte bucket because I have a slight sprained ankle. Has anyone dropped their phone into water or got the phone wet? If so, did your phone work after that or am I screwed. And if it did work, how did you get the water out or how did you get it to work again. Any help owuld be greatly appreciated!

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Do Not try to turn it on again until it has had time to dry. Give it plenty of time, put a fan on it, put it in the windowsill with a fan on it, do whatever you have to do to get it dried out! Whatever you do make sure that it is dried out before you try to turn it back on. Keep us informed of what happens.:(

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Do Not try to turn it on again until it has had time to dry. Give it plenty of time, put a fan on it, put it in the windowsill with a fan on it, do whatever you have to do to get it dried out! Whatever you do make sure that it is dried out before you try to turn it back on. Keep us informed of what happens.:(
I have a fan on it right now, but should I open the phone and try to get the water out like that or let the fan blow through it?

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Great story...

@charlie713...for whatever it's worth, I had a similar incident over 2 years ago with my early-adpoted Archos PMA400. The first thing I did was remove the battery (which I realize is not an option in your case). I then set the device in front of a fan blowing constantly for over a week until I was satisfied it was perceptibly moisture free and reconnected the battery. The PMA400 booted to the main screen and displayed a low battery warning. I recharged it and its been working fine since then. Besides the digital feeling of neglect that it must be going through right now with all my attention on the iPhone, I don't think the PMA400 was any worse for the water baptism experience.

Like it's been suggested, be patient....just let your iPhone sit fanned until you're sure it's completely dry and then power up again. However, I don't think you should open up the device. That would void your warranty and rob you of the last resort of return to Apple for repair.

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Great story...

@charlie713...for whatever it's worth, I had a similar incident over 2 years ago with my early-adpoted Archos PMA400. The first thing I did was remove the battery (which I realize is not an option in your case). I then set the device in front of a fan blowing constantly for over a week until I was satisfied it was perceptibly moisture free and reconnected the battery. The PMA400 booted to the main screen and displayed a low battery warning. I recharged it and its been working fine since then. Besides the digital feeling of neglect that it must be going through right now with all my attention on the iPhone, I don't think the PMA400 was any worse for the water baptism experience.

Like it's been suggested, be patient....just let your iPhone sit fanned until you're sure it's completely dry and then power up again. However, I don't think you should open up the device. That would void your warranty and rob you of the last resort of return to Apple for repair.
One more question guys. How much will it cost to get a repair/replacement? Thanks for your help

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
One more question guys. How much will it cost to get a repair/replacement? Thanks for your help
"An Apple FAQ states that if you own an iPhone and it requires service for any reason other than the battery (which costs $86 total to replace), Apple will repair your iPhone for the service fee listed below, plus $6.95 for shipping and handling:
  • 4GB: $199
  • 8GB: $249
Presumably this includes screen cracks, though Apple states “Service may not be available if your iPhone has been damaged due to accident or abuse.”

Quoted from: http://www.iPhoneatlas.com/2007/08/16/dealing-with-a-cracked-iphone-screen-repair-other-options/

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
"An Apple FAQ states that if you own an iPhone and it requires service for any reason other than the battery (which costs $86 total to replace), Apple will repair your iPhone for the service fee listed below, plus $6.95 for shipping and handling:
Presumably this includes screen cracks, though Apple states “Service may not be available if your iPhone has been damaged due to accident or abuse.”

Quoted from: http://www.iPhoneatlas.com/2007/08/16/dealing-with-a-cracked-iphone-screen-repair-other-options/
This is true, I read where someone here on the forum dropped their phone into water and then took it to Apple for repair at $250, so that is true.

sjmejia408

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
As most of you know, yesterday i dropped my iPhone in the toilet. Most of you gave me no sort of luck what so ever. Well today I went to the Apple store and told them that my iPhone wouldn't turn on. After looking at it for no more then 5 minutes the genius took my phone to the back and came out with a new iPhone. I was SO SURPrISED because someone posted there is a paper inside the phone which changed colors if it comes in contact with water. Well to make a long story short I got a new phone! And guess where I'm at right now? You got it...,. The toilet! Yesssss

Ps Apple is the shiznit

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
As most of you know, yesterday i dropped my iPhone in the toilet. Most of you gave me no sort of luck what so ever. Well today I went to the Apple store and told them that my iPhone wouldn't turn on. After looking at it for no more then 5 minutes the genius took my phone to the back and came out with a new iPhone. I was SO SURPrISED because someone posted there is a paper inside the phone which changed colors if it comes in contact with water. Well to make a long story short I got a new phone! And guess where I'm at right now? You got it...,. The toilet! Yesssss

Ps Apple is the shiznit
you could have just put this in your other post.. and i don't think it's right to ask for sympathy, because of your stupidity.

and right now all you have to worry about it when Apple sends in those broken iPhones. the techy finds that the phone had a voided warranty, and then one of their many lawyers call you, on your new iPhone.

good luck :)

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Awesome! I'm glad for you.

Just curious though. How did you bring the iPhone into the store?
In a brown paper bag w/ latex gloves on? :p

sjmejia408

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
you could have just put this in your other post.. and i don't think it's right to ask for sympathy, because of your stupidity.

and right now all you have to worry about it when Apple sends in those broken iPhones. the techy finds that the phone had a voided warranty, and then one of their many lawyers call you, on your new iPhone.

good luck :)
No one is asking for sympathy foolio. I'm just letting everyone know that Apple is not as bad as some people make it to be. And in regards to that lawyer remark.... Typical hater statement. If you have nothing good to say then keep it to yourself

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Typical hater statement. If you have nothing good to say then keep it to yourself
hater statement huh? i was just trying to let you know that you might have angered Apple. but all will be fine if they don't check it huh?

AND i was referring to this as seeking for sympathy:
Most of you gave me no sort of luck what so ever.

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Maybe there is some hope for me. I dropped mine in a bucket of water with epsom salt though. Hopefully the guy comes out to be nice one. Hopefully I can get mine back. Did you get your new one free?

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007

What happens if the phone is not repairable. Will I still pay $250 and get a new replacement? Thanks so much for your help guys. I really appreciate it. You don't know how pissed off I was when I dropped it lol, I was basically crying.

sjmejia408

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
Maybe there is some hope for me. I dropped mine in a bucket of water with epsom salt though. Hopefully the guy comes out to be nice one. Hopefully I can get mine back. Did you get your new one free?

Yes sir! Free of charge. Just be cool with the guy n who knows you might be as lucky as me;]

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
As most of you know, yesterday i dropped my iPhone in the toilet. Most of you gave me no sort of luck what so ever. Well today I went to the Apple store and told them that my iPhone wouldn't turn on. After looking at it for no more then 5 minutes the genius took my phone to the back and came out with a new iPhone. I was SO SURPrISED because someone posted there is a paper inside the phone which changed colors if it comes in contact with water. Well to make a long story short I got a new phone!
where at? Valley Fair?

And guess where I'm at right now? You got it...,. The toilet! Yesssss
You Rock!

Scholar

Oct 3, 2007
nice... congrats! most phones do have a paper wafer that indicates water damage. i'm too scared to open up my iPhone to check tho.