Dropped your 5s without a case yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by denzel1989, Nov 7, 2013.

1. denzel1989

denzel1989 Member
    Bronze

I just saw one of my friends drop his 5s today face down after only havering if for 2days and his screen is smashed .
    He wasn't rocking a case, and what's funny is I warned him to get one but he refused.
    I've always rocked cases for this sole purpose. I plan on selling my 5S when the iPhone 6 comes out.

Anyone dropped there 5S?

2. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

My step daughter did the same thing within the first 2 weeks and it shattered. She got it replaced via AppleCare and now has a temp case on until her LifeProof arrives.

My wife has the LifeProof on hers.

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

My friend at work dropped her new 5s case on and all and it shattered. I'm keeping mine naked.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds like it wasn't a very protective case. Some are built for scratch protection only. I've seen quite a few that don't even have a lip over the front glass. They are 100% useless in a face-down drop.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My neighbor had her house locked up and burglars broke in and robbed her. I'm leaving my house unlocked. :D:p

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Couldn't agree more. It's perfectly fine to not want to use a case for various reasons, but to use an example like that as a reason for not using a case is flawed logic. You have to look at odds and probability. Even the most minimalistic cases won't cause more damage in a drop. It's just a matter of trade offs and desired protection level. No case can prevent damage in all circumstances, but it's common sense that a decent case will decrease your odds of a cracked screen or broken phone.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Very well put! I have had all of my iPhones in an Otterbox Defender. I have not dropped it from high distances, but nonetheless, the iPhone is not affected. Now if I drop it on the sidewalk or something, that may be different, but I believe that the Otterbox case would be damaged more, leaving the iPhone just fine since the case is a three piece layer.

8. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I've had my 4s fall of the roof of my pickup truck with only a light duty case. Bad news. I would love to be able to keep mine without a case at all. But truth told, it's hard to hold on to without a case. I have a Magpul field case on my 5s. It's not going to give the protection of an Otterbox, but it does give me a little peace and the material makes it really easy to hold and use. My wife has always had an Otterbox.

9. denzel1989

denzel1989 Member
    Bronze

I have the gold 5s , yes it would be lovely to show its colour but it won't last long without a case.

10. denzel1989

denzel1989 Member
    Bronze

I have the Apple leather brown case. It does a good job.

11. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

For those who want to show off the gold, silver or space gray on the back of their phones, there are many clear plastic covers on the market that will do the trick.

Sent using iCafe app

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Did you guys missed me? :D burglars will go through a locked door too, just saying

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Ok cases protect the phone I get it, anyone can see that, that's no big revelation, I prefer my phone naked and only use cases that serve a purpose based on my anticipated usage needs and environment (battery case, waterproof, etc.). Hiding your beautiful phone on an ugly plastic case is just not for me, I'll take my odds (never broke a phone since 1st gen).

14. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Which is why I got the clear Adopted case. Although I learned that this case is not waterproof. ;)

15. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

How could we miss you if we weren't even aiming at you?

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Dock and roll :D

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm really surprised at how many points you miss.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Locked doors will deter more crime than unlocked doors. Just saying'...

19. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

And gun control laws will reduce gun violence too, right? Yeah, let's just check those gun crime statistics in Obama's adopted hometown of Chicago that has some of the strictest gun control laws and highest gun crimes to go with it.

Sent using iCafe app

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That I can respect. There are plenty of good reasons to not use a case. The best one, in my opinion, is that it takes away from the natural beauty of the phone while adding some bulk. Neither of my brothers have ever used a case on their iPhones.

My point was that it's ridiculous to say I know someone who cracked their screen with a case on so thereforee I'm not going to use a case. It's likely that it just wasn't a very protective case.
    No political debates.