Dropping Internet Connection and Data Connection - Why? Can't take it anymore...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Torinate, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Well, I've asked this several times on here without success.

Maybe I just need to rant about the poor Apple quality...

iPhone 3GS just drops Data and Internet. No warning. Just gone! No reason - sitting at my desk at work with 5 bars and 3G then no symbol no. (still have the 5 bars though... figure that out). Really beginning to bother me though - keep getting the warning "not connected to the internet" or "data..." Grrr! How do I fix it?

Then, this morning my wife tells me her 1 month old Nano plays songs slow when she is walking. She's using the pedometer app and listening to music; but apparently they don't work together? Thats the whole reason she bought it! Any ideas for that one?

If these things keep happening to all the Apple stuff we have, we'll go elsewhwere.

Rant over....

Please help! Both of them...

2. Calvinle88

Calvinle88 Member
    Bronze

Kindly check if you are still able to make/receive calls, surf the internet when the error mesaage appears. If you can, then there is not problem. Your phone just went into hibernating mode. If you are unable to make or recive calls when the 3G symbol disappears, suspect a weak signal in your area/workstation. It will happen when the signal is weak, the 3G disconnects to save you precious data charges. Try another spot in your wrokplace or home to see if you regain the signal. It worked for me as certain areas of my abode are susceptible to signal loss.

Hope that helps.

Regarding the ipod issue, just use one or the other of the functions mentioned, whichever is more important. See if the songs still play slow. If it does, suspect a faulty song download/installation rather then the unit itself. You could of course try reloading all the songs installed and see if the problem goes away.

Hope that helps.

3. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Phone works when 3g disappears. No Internet service. That's the problem. The place where this happens used to have perfect 3g service - still does l, just not with my phone. Why does my 3g service just stop?

The nano needs to simultaneously do both things - like it's supposed to do. If it can only do one at a time, it's no good to her. That's the reason she bought it.

Thanks for your assistance.

4. Mustangman210

Mustangman210 Member
    Bronze

Your problem is not Apple it's AT&T they are ramping up there system to accept 4g when comes available.so they flip users from cell to cell when they are working on one. It takes about 2 weeks to straighten out. They started here 3 months ago and my old 3G dud the same thing.

5. Mustangman210

Mustangman210 Member
    Bronze

Sorry did not dud ...... I hate spell check it changes your words.

6. defixon

defixon New Member

Hmm didn't come across this issue when I worked for AT&T, but my suggestions would be to:

-Have someone remove and re-add the data plan onto your account (call cust support or go to an AT&T store -might incur prorated charges)
    -Replace the SIM (never hurts and fixes a lot of random problems)

As mustangman said, you could be hopping from tower to tower but that is unlikely IMO. If 3G drops, edge should take over immediately.

7. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

I'm in Ontario on Rogers. I can't see bouncing from tower to tower though. The phone doesn't go to edge or EDGE at all. It just goes from 3G to blank. Then, I get a warning about no data connection or the Internet page cannot be displayed because I'm not connected to the Internet.

Rogers says everything is fine.

So, I updated to 4.0.1 tonight. Haven't tested the 3G as I'm on wifi at home. Now, I've got a different problem. My wifi download speed has dropped off considerably with this update. I was at 12+ Mbps and now I'm at 7-8 Mbps download. Consistently before and after at 1 Mbps upload.

If it's not one thing it's another. Still no fix for the Nano either.

I appreciate all the help from everyone here. It's nice to have a place like this!

I'll let you know if the update fixes the data connection.

Torinate

8. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Ok.

NO CHANGES!

So, updated to 4.0.1 and that didn't work. Spent 30 minutes on the phone with Rogers again and they reset everything. That didn't work. Reset network connections. That didn't work.

Now what? yes, i'm a little miffed by this. At one moment, I have 3G and then gone - nothing. No edge no nothing. I have cell service though. 5 bars or close...

HELP!

Thanks

Any other ideas?

9. soma4society

soma4society Member
    Bronze

Restoring as new is your last resort (after the other options are exhausted, including "reset network settings"). don't forget to try it if youve run out of choices. Good luck!

10. pack4to84

pack4to84 New Member

I am having the same problem. At my house I was getting 4 bar and 3G, now I am getting no bars and no data at all. The tower is 2 miles from my house. I called ATT and they had me reset network too. I asked them if the tower was down and they said it not. Its been over 5 days so I decided on buying the 3G microcell. Which works but it cost me $150 to own it. Makes me wonder if that there plan to get more people to fork over $150 or pay $20 extra month to rent it with unlimited calling from the device.

11. hmgcgfx

hmgcgfx New Member

hi i had the same problem with my 3g internet when i updated to 4.0 fw. it was showing the 3g logo but had no internet connection so heres what i done and it worked with my phone and also a workmates phone.

1. restore your iPhone as a new device

2. sync your music first (no apps)

3. sync your apps but only one or two at a time(DO NOT sync all your apps at once as this is what seemed to cause the problem on my phone)

hopefully this works for you as it did for me and my workmate. ( also i checked to see if 3g was working after every sync of music then every time sync of the apps )

good luck

12. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Well' Rogers sent me a new phone. I went through everything with their tech guy and he thinks the antenna is the problem. Did all the troubleshooting stuff with no success. Then on the weekend, away from home I was the app store and needed to update 5 apps. Took about 1 hour and 35% of battery power to do. Then, my icons are all mixed up afterwards. Whats up with that? It doesn't save my notes correctly either...
    Here are my questions: Could it be a bad app causing it?
    They said to back up my current phone and then apply that to the new phone. Is this a good thing to do? How can I transfer all my internet favourites over to the new phone? I'd like to move the whole thing to the new phone complete. How do I do this?
    Thanks for the help!

I really hope the new phone works better! They wouldn't upgrade me to the 4 - they're not out here yet...

13. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Update.

Grrr....

Ok. I have a new iPhone. Guess what... It did it again! Dropped 3G signal to nothing. No E or e. Just blank!

Any ideas what's causing this? Its not the antenna...

This started with 3.1.2 and then carried over to the 4.0.1 as well. Could an app cause this? There 11 gig memory not being used right now (it's only a 16 gig model).

As you can imagine, i'm getting a little ticked. But at least I know its not the phone itself...

Please Help!

14. lolynot

lolynot New Member

i didn't read any previous post bc im lazy.

have you tried restoring it as a new phone instead of using the backup? sometimes when you restore using the back up it also transfer the bad network settings over. hope this helps

15. tiggohandbags

tiggohandbags New Member

wholesalers here may love quality iPhone and other phones leather case and pouches ! well a good site here you can customise all your leather cases and pouches for your phones.if you plan to sell lady chic bags and stylish purses,a real good solution here at http://www.tiggobags.com/html/index.html thank you and good luck to all of u !