Dumb question from a newbie...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

seabass

Dec 25, 2007
Hey I am considering an iPhone and was wondering what the latest(best) version of the phone is available? Are there better versions planned in the future that I should wait on? Thanks

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Well, there were only two versions, if you will - 4Gig and 8Gig, but Apple did away with the 4Gig.

There is rumor -- rumor -- of a 3G (AT&T's 3G network compatible) iPhone for next year (which seems to be confirmed but has no timeframe attached to it). Outside of that, nothing.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
There may be something announced at MacWorld Expo in three weeks, I wouldn't bet money on it. Most are guessing the 3G phone will come out next summer, but no one really knows.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I would go ahead and buy it. A 3G phone has been confirmed, but it could be a long time away.

I predict that what with MacWorld and the SDK coming, we iPhone users are in for some interesting (I didn't exactly say good) surprises.

Welcome to the forums!

- John

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Well, there were only two versions, if you will - 4G and 8G, but Apple did away with the 4G.

There is rumor -- rumor -- of a 3G iPhone for next year (which seems to be confirmed but has no timeframe attached to it). Outside of that, nothing.
This is a little confusing for someone completely new. You use the terms 8G 4G and 3G.

8G refers to the 8 gigabyte model that has 8 gigs of memory.

4G refers to the 4 gigabyte model that has 4 gigs of memory, but do not worry yourself with this, it no longer exists and cannot be bought.

3G refers to the speed of the internet over the cellular radio. This means how fast you get internet when you are NOT connected to a wifi router.

I just thought it was kind of confusing talkig about 8G and 4G which are their own things and talking about 3G which is a whole other thing.