Dumb Question - How to Avoid Updating?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Is the only way to avoid updating to 1.1.1 to not hook up your iPhone at all to iTunes? Or, can you hook it up and reject the download.

Want to keep my mods.
Disconnect your internet, plug in iPhone, set iTunes NOT to update automatically.

Don't manually update.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
iTunes actually has nothing to do with a firmware update i don't believe. updating iTunes and updating firmware are two different animals.

if you don't want to update your firmware, just don't ASK iTunes to update it.
the automatic synch is something else entirely.

(unless i have missed something completely....)

znino

Sep 27, 2007
iTunes actually has nothing to do with a firmware update i don't believe. updating iTunes and updating firmware are two different animals.

if you don't want to update your firmware, just don't ASK iTunes to update it.
the automatic synch is something else entirely.

(unless i have missed something completely....)
Yes but how exactly do you ask iTunes NOT to update? In other words, will iTunes always prompt you to update or not and all you have to do is say no at that time or is there a check box or some option to set somewhere in iTunes (i am on Windows by the way).

thanks

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Though I have not tested myself, a SHIFT+restore button will skip update check. Do this at your risk. Have internet disconnected...

piloting

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Though I have not tested myself, a SHIFT+restore button will skip update check. Do this at your risk. Have internet disconnected...
I did verify and it works. Disconnect your internet first. Your itune still think the latest firmware is 1.0.2 and the shift + restore will pop a window for you to input the firmware file.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
If we uncheck the option to update automatically in iTunes preferences, can we SAFELY connect our iPhone to our computer while the Internet is still connected, and not worry about iTunes auto updating our firmware? I don't want to have to disconnect the Internet each time I connect my phone for iTunes synching.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
sounds risky, steve might use his super sniffer proggies and find out u have mods, and update your phone while u sleep (he knows when u sleep), then your iPhone is rendered useless and he and his henchmen get a good laugh in their secret leir.:)

Sep 24, 2007
ok, so i was joust sitting on my couch with all these cds i wanted on my iPhone, to i ripped them into my library then plugged in my iPhone

its asked me if i wanted to install and download the update or cancel

***all you have to do is hit cancel***

its no big deal at all, just hit cancel and you can syc or do whatever and there is an update button if you want to update later

there is no need to disconnect internet or anything

i just synced like 5 time and i have all my apps and they all run flawlessly so everyone can stop being worried about plugging in there i phone.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
ok, so i was joust sitting on my couch with all these cds i wanted on my iPhone, to i ripped them into my library then plugged in my iPhone

its asked me if i wanted to install and download the update or cancel

***all you have to do is hit cancel***

its no big deal at all, just hit cancel and you can syc or do whatever and there is an update button if you want to update later

there is no need to disconnect internet or anything

i just synced like 5 time and i have all my apps and they all run flawlessly so everyone can stop being worried about plugging in there i phone.
Yes, this is what I have been doing, I just hit the cancel.

But just wondering? My phone 1.0.2 and is locked, and I have the mods, but if I do a restore to the phone to remove 3rd party apps and then do the update will it brick my Phone?

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Yes, this is what I have been doing, I just hit the cancel.

But just wondering? My phone 1.0.2 and is locked, and I have the mods, but if I do a restore to the phone to remove 3rd party apps and then do the update will it brick my Phone?
Exactly what I have been doing.
Tempting to choose the "Download Only" option as opposed to the "Download and Install" option, but don't want to risk it.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Exactly what I have been doing.
Tempting to choose the "Download Only" option as opposed to the "Download and Install" option, but don't want to risk it.
Does that mean you are going to restore before you upgrade? I have read through all the threads but have not read if anyone has removed 3rd apps by a restore and then update and their phone is fine. What do you think?

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Yep, that will certainly make your PC look at itself instead of iTunes for updates, however, it will also prevent you from getting to the iTunes.com site unless you enter the IP address for iTunes rather than the name i.e., in your browser you will need to enter 17.149.160.45 instead of www.iTunes.com. You could also just enter http://www.apple.com/itunes/ to get there.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Does that mean you are going to restore before you upgrade? I have read through all the threads but have not read if anyone has removed 3rd apps by a restore and then update and their phone is fine. What do you think?
Just to be safe, when I decide that I want to upgrade to 1.1.1 I will definitely do a full restore before downloading and installing the upgrade.
Don't want to run the risk of installing with the 3rd party apps. Also, if the download/install gets screwed up there is no way that Apple will be able to tell if I had 3rd party apps since I did a full restore ahead of time.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Just to be safe, when I decide that I want to upgrade to 1.1.1 I will definitely do a full restore before downloading and installing the upgrade.
Don't want to run the risk of installing with the 3rd party apps. Also, if the download/install gets screwed up there is no way that Apple will be able to tell if I had 3rd party apps since I did a full restore ahead of time.

Thanks that is good info. If I do the restore then I will just take it Apple to upgrade?

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Yup, do that. :sick: