Dumb Question on Macs / CDs / Ejecting Etc.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
What is the trick with Macs and CDs? Seems like 9 times out of 10 if I insert an install CD (legit, shrink-wrapped etc) into the Macbook's drive, zero happens. The CD does not auto-run, no desktop icon is created for it, there is not the slightest inkling anywhere in Finder that a CD drive exists etc.

So I usually start by thinking that's cool, I'll eject it and pop it back in, but the MacBook doesn't have a phyiscal button to eject and with Finder showing zilch etc. I don't even see a way to eject easily. So far my only workaround has been to start to do a Restart, at which point the CD title generally appears on the desktop, I cancel the restart and feel happier but dissatisifed with how clumsy a workaround this is.

What am I missing? How should the MacBook normally show the CD drive, and let me control auto-play / eject etc. type commands for it?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Is this a new MacBook you're talking about? Because they do have eject buttons.

Its the button in the very top right corner. Next to F12.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
DOH - yes, true that - thanks. How 'bout the rest with having it recognize / autoplay etc.?
Well when you insert a disc, first do you hear it making any noises, like the disc spinning or something?
If not there could be a problem with yours, because my friends MB, and my MB both make lots of noises when you insert a disc.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Well when you insert a disc, first do you hear it making any noises, like the disc spinning or something?
If not there could be a problem with yours, because my friends MB, and my MB both make lots of noises when you insert a disc.
Yup - I hear it spinning pretty much as normal. And once I've gone through my fake restart routine if I do eject it and pop it back in, it then does place a desktop icon for it right away ...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yup - I hear it spinning pretty much as normal. And once I've gone through my fake restart routine if I do eject it and pop it back in, it then does place a desktop icon for it right away ...
Hmm...I'm sorry, but I have no clue what to tell you. :oops:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
No music CDs tried - Software / Install CDs
OK. I was going to test it on my Macbook. I do not have any install CD's, only music so I cannot test for you right now. I installed iWork when I bought the computer, but I do not recall any problems.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
OK. I was going to test it on my Macbook. I do not have any install CD's, only music so I cannot test for you right now. I installed iWork when I bought the computer, but I do not recall any problems.
No worries - thanks for the thought. It's not a big deal issue, as it's something I do relatively infrequently ...

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
it sounds like something is amiss, patrick. my macbook recognizes every CD/DVD inserted fairly quickly and always shows an icon for it on the desktop. i have apps set to open on insertion depending on the type of disc (designated in the "CDs and DVDs" preference pane in system preferences), and software discs usually open right up to window showing the installer application. i've seen resetting the PRAM as a suggestion to try to fix problems like this...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Mine recognizes it almost immediately as well. Go for Macgirl's suggestion and see what happens.

- John