Dumb Question re: Email Settings

Jan 28, 2008
First, it totally possible I'm a complete idiot, so I apologize in advance for maybe wasting someone's time.

I'm trying to configure my Touch so I can use Gmail. Everything I read says to got to Settings ... then Mail .. then blah blah.

The thing is, when I go to Settings .. there is no Mail topic on the submenu. There is a Wifi, and a Video and a Music and a few others, but no Mail. I have version 1.1.2. Is the ability to see this Mail topic something that I need to update to 1.1.3 for? I doubted that because much of the advice I read to go to Settings .. Mail .. , seems to have been written a long time ago, before 1.1.3.

So I'd appreciate anybody who can unflummox me. Thanks.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You need to purchase the 1.1.3 update for the Touch. That update added the Mail app and Maps, Weather, Notes, Stocks apps as well - and they will cost you $20 - see HERE for details ...

Jan 28, 2008
Wow that was good service, thanks. So all that advice ... Settings >> Mail >> blah blah, was contingent on me having 1.1.3?

Installing that update including that mail.app will modify the Settings menu so a menu item Mail comes up? And I need all of this to access gmail?

Thanks again. Bless you.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Wow that was good service, thanks. So all that advice ... Settings >> Mail >> blah blah, was contingent on me having 1.1.3?

Installing that update including that mail.app will modify the Settings menu so a menu item Mail comes up? And I need all of this to access gmail?

Thanks again. Bless you.
On the Touch, yes - you need that update otherwise there is no email application on the device - although you do have a browser so you could just use Gmail via your web browser. Google have been updating Gmail's web client for the iPhone quite a bit and it's quite good.

Pimou

Jan 29, 2008
On the Touch, yes - you need that update otherwise there is no email application on the device - although you do have a browser so you could just use Gmail via your web browser. Google have been updating Gmail's web client for the iPhone quite a bit and it's quite good.

Yes, no need for the email app (costing $20) if you use Gmail. The new Gmail optimized for the iPhone and iPod touch screen is really great in Safari.

Jan 28, 2008
Yes, no need for the email app (costing $20) if you use Gmail. The new Gmail optimized for the iPhone and iPod touch screen is really great in Safari.
Well thanks guys. I tried gmail without the email.app, and it was OK. Nonetheless, when iTunes bugged me to upgrade to 1.1.3, I decided maybe those other apps would be cool, so I downloaded it.

It seemed to install OK, there weren't any burps that I saw, the About ... on the Touch says it is version 1.1.3, iTunes says it is 1.1.3. However, nothing has changed on the Touch. I didn't get the new icons, the Mail option is still NOT under Settings, it is as if nothing happened.

I don't see any way to reinstall the damned thing either. Can I drop-kick it or something to get those apps operative?

Also ... how did I pay for this lol? This is my son's iTunes, did he have to leave a credit card number (which would have been mine, by the way) when he registered with the Store? I'm assuming so ...

Thanks again!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Well thanks guys. I tried gmail without the email.app, and it was OK. Nonetheless, when iTunes bugged me to upgrade to 1.1.3, I decided maybe those other apps would be cool, so I downloaded it.

It seemed to install OK, there weren't any burps that I saw, the About ... on the Touch says it is version 1.1.3, iTunes says it is 1.1.3. However, nothing has changed on the Touch. I didn't get the new icons, the Mail option is still NOT under Settings, it is as if nothing happened.

I don't see any way to reinstall the damned thing either. Can I drop-kick it or something to get those apps operative?

Also ... how did I pay for this lol? This is my son's iTunes, did he have to leave a credit card number (which would have been mine, by the way) when he registered with the Store? I'm assuming so ...

Thanks again!
Have you restarted the phone since installing the update / extra apps? Might be worth doing so if you haven't. If no joy it's probably worth contacting Apple to let them help you get the new apps going.
On the iTunes payment side, it's as you expected - their should be a credit card associated with your account (or your son's) that iTunes will use by default ...

Jan 28, 2008
Thank you Patrick yes I've stopped, restarted, disconnected, reconnected, it just hasn't done a thing. I just talked to my son, and he is sure we never registered with the Store, so maybe what happened is it downloaded, installed, then baulked at the last moment when it realized it hadn't been paid yet. Maybe. I'll look into that. Thanks.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Thank you Patrick yes I've stopped, restarted, disconnected, reconnected, it just hasn't done a thing. I just talked to my son, and he is sure we never registered with the Store, so maybe what happened is it downloaded, installed, then baulked at the last moment when it realized it hadn't been paid yet. Maybe. I'll look into that. Thanks.
Right, that seems a good plan - hope it works out soon ...

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Are you sure you downloaded the Application Pack for the iPod Touch 1.1.3 or did you just update to 1.1.3?

You can update your touch to 1.1.3 firmware without paying the 20 dollars for the application pack, which is what i assume you did if you have not set up an iTunes account.

If you haven't paid for the extra apps you can either download them from the iTunes Store (not exactly sure how to do it other than if it prompts you automatically) or you can jailbreak your touch and add the mail, notes, etc for free.

Hope this helped. Good luck.