Dummy plugs for headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by iPaul, Jul 12, 2007.

1. iPaul

iPaul New Member
    Bronze

Not really an accessory but....

I am wondering if anyone has seen or knows of somewhere to get some kind of plastic dummy plug for the headphone jack (and maybe even the dock connector) for my iPhone. I had a huge problem with dust getting under the screen of my RAZR and I suspect it was due to lint form my pocket getting into the various openings in the case. I rarely use the headpones on my ipod or iPhone, so I thought I'd be proactive this time, but I haven't found anything like this. Kind of like the RCA dummies for the TT inputs on a stereo, but made of plastic so they don't cut out the signal in my car or anything...

One other thing I am trying to do this time is turn my pockets inside out and really shake em out before putting the phone in there- you'd be surprised at how much dirt and crap gets embedded at the bottom of your pockets (at least for guys :p )

2. JnC

JnC New Member
    Bronze

A headphone plug would be useful for keeping wayward raindrops out, particularly if you use a holster.

3. jasunto

jasunto New Member
    Bronze

i want a plug for headphone and dock connector too! i wonder if something could be fashioned from an old pair of headphones, just the plug fromt he end and cut down to be almost flush, same with an old ass ipod firewire cable i have, i wonder if i could flush mount the old connector to fill the hole, most of the dust i notice is in headphone hole and i use a holster, not in pocket, so i just dust off the hole once a week

4. stenspect

stenspect New Member

Dummy Plug Homemade

I used an eraser head now and that seems to work for the moment - for the headphone plug. Might try to upgrade it. I also found the dummy plug. See: http://www.gadgetreview.com/2007/09/iphone-dummy-plugs-stop-dirt-and-pocket-lint-from-attacking-your-iphone.html

Yes, I wrote it...but easier then writing again.

5. LepNinja

LepNinja New Member

6. astrolux

astrolux New Member
    Bronze

Yeah I am looking for the same thing. Something that was black plastic and would go in flush to both ports.

The dots on the RAZR phone were actually a problem with a lot of folks and I found out about a year ago that you could mail them back in and get a new (refurbished) one.

Hopefully someone wants to make some money and creates a little package with two small pieces.

7. jjvaldez

jjvaldez New Member
    Gold

i use the iskin revo... that has port blockers... you can try that

8. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

I would be interested in some type of black rubber plug, preferably the waterproof type that you see on other phones or devices. And, of course I would like it to be flush and inconspicuous. There's gotta be a place where they sell these type of plugs ready made, like a box of generics.

9. astrolux

astrolux New Member
    Bronze

If you find it let me know. I would be all over that.

10. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Well I searched and searched and found nothing. Finally, I resorted to busting up an old remote control that had round buttons on it, roughly the right size for the plug. I cut one up to the right depth and plugged it in. It worked like a charm and looks as if it's part of the phone, not some home made remedy.

11. allbuss

allbuss New Member

plugs

Still no luck looking for dummy plugs for headphone port. They can't make plugs for the headphone port, but they're able to make plugs for the usb serial port. I find that hard to believe.

12. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

I found a small black plastic plug at my local hardware store. I cut off most of the barbed part and just left about 3/16th of an inch extending down from the top cap part to insert in the headphone jack (so as not to disconnect the internal mike) works perfect to keep out dust and H2O.

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

For what it's worth, I've never experienced, nor read about dust under anyone's screen. I think the iPhone is pretty solidly built and doesn't really have that common cellphone flaw.

7 months here dust free... and I'm a pocketer.

14. silverhawk

silverhawk New Member

ok guys ive finally found one website that sells it ...eventhough it says its for the iPhone 3g one review states that it wont fit the iPhone 3g headphone port. I dunoo , as i jus orderd it, ill let u know when i get it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15259

Hope this helps you guys.

15. S-Man

S-Man Member
    Bronze

It would be nice to have a plug cover. But it would be nicer if it was attached to the casing, much like on my Canon XTi. It has jacks for various input/ouputs, and has a little rubber door that covers them all, plugging into them with a rubber nub.
    Interesting indeed.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I know that the iSkin Revo2 case for the 3G has an attached cover for the headphone jack.

#17 Napoleon PhoneApart, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  17. Skol312000

Skol312000 New Member

Anyone else find a not so "ghetto" way of fixing this prob? I was thinking of cutting up the headphones that came with it, i got other headphones and for those of you who also do it might not be a bad idea... But it is ghetto

18. iphone addicted

iphone addicted New Member

Try the Otterbox case waterproof and has the plugs covered. kinda pricey though.

19. aknightstale41

Gold

Foam ear plugs would work, the kind you squeeze between your fingers...just cut to size.