Duplicated birthday entries after sync with Outlook

panch

Nov 22, 2008
Hi all,

I have had this problem all the way up through the iPhone 2G to the 3G version.
The problem consists of most of my contacts birthdays show up multiple times in the calendar for the particular day. Even if I first remove the duplicated entries in outlook 2007 and sync, the duplicate entries still show up on the iPhone. If I then remove all dupcated entries on the iPhone and sync, they reappear on the iPhone. In outlook 2007 it shows correctly, though.
I suspect it has something to do with my pst file being corrupted for the contacts, because this problem has haunted me since using the same outlook pst file with my PDA, an Dell Axim X50v.

The 'funny' thing is, that even if I completely remove the contact, and sync so that it is removed from both the iPhone and the Contacts in Outlook 2007, the problem reappears if I create a new outlook contact with the same information as the deleted one. So somehow it doesn't get removed totally from the outlook pst file.

Maybe I should just export all emails, delete the pst file and create a new pst file, importing the contacts and resync with the iPhone ?

Some better alternatives?

Dec 10, 2008
Holy cow, is there no-one other than us two having this same issue? Thanks for your post panch - did you ever figure out how to circumvent this problem? I have been tearing my hair out over this for weeks, and there doesn't seem to be much information around about it...

Has anyone else come across this? And if so, has anyone cracked the problem?

panch

Nov 22, 2008
Hi,

No I haven't solved it yet - I'm going to try the suggestion I made, but at the moment I can't bother to do it. I don't even know if it will solve the case with the duplicated entries.

At least I only think it will solve half the problem; when syncing outlook with different langauges (in my case Danish and English) in the calendar it will say "Pauls Birthday" and "Pauls Fødselsdag", which are the English and Danish phrases. I think I'll just avoid syncing with more than one computer if the initial suggestion works.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I´m using Danish/English too, and have removed 1 calendar in MS Outlook 2007 - because there was 2 present!? All my appointments was showing up twice on the iPhone Calendar, but after removing one of them in Outlook, everything was fine again....check yours! :)

panch

Nov 22, 2008
I don't have any problems with duplicated entries - it's only birthdays I have problems with.

panch

Nov 22, 2008
The birthdays are in my outlook calendar - but they are the only ones that are duplicated.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Do you sync contacts? because there is an option to sync contacts birthdays to iPhone.... I use a macbook, and in the options, you can sync contacts birthdays. What i did was open the contacts, and delete the birthday from "their" contact details as i alreadsy had them in my calendar.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Sorry to dig up an old thread - especially with what is potentially not a directly related issue, but...

My wife uses the birthday field in her MS Outlook contacts as the one and only place where people's birthdays are entered. She never enters them into the phone directly (either through editing calendar entries or iPhone contacts).

The way it SHOULD work here is that the PC's outlook contact birthday entries show up on her PC's outlook calendar (which they do), and when the iPhone syncs with her PC the birthdays should then also show up on her iPhone calendar (since they were on the PC's outlook calendar).

Some of them show up in the iPhone calendar and some of them don't.

I have examined the contact and calendar entries in Outlook on her PC for a person whose birthday shows up on the iPhone calendar and for someone that does not. I can see no differences in any of the fields.

Has anyone experienced this sort of problem and knows what the cause is?

kensmith

Jan 13, 2009
Is there a earliest date limit in the iPhone calendar

I also noticed that some of the birthdays in my Outlook calendar were not in my iPhone. Notably my mother's was missing, she turns 80 this year so her birthday is from 1929. I deleted and reentered it multiple times to no avail. Then I changed it to 1972 and it showed up after sync. I deleted it again and reentered 1929 and it did not sync. So I am assuming there might be some date limit in the calendar before which it cannot process recurring events. Any ideas?

TIA,
Ken

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
So I am assuming there might be some date limit in the calendar before which it cannot process recurring events. Any ideas?

TIA,
Ken
In my wife's case this does not seem to be true. Her problem dates are:

10/13/1922
05/14/1929
07/27/1932
01/15/1947
01/10/1951
02/28/1955
12/01/1955
04/04/1965
12/01/1977

There are a lot of birthdays between these dates that do show up.

In a web search I saw that Apple believed this issue to be caused by the "message class" property of the Outlook event being changed to something other than "IPM.appointment", but after checking this all of the events on her Outlook calendar do have this property correctly defined.

Elsewhere I read that the problem applies to dates between 1922 and 1932, but you can see from the list above that it does not apply in my wife's case.

I will try changing only the date on some of the more recent ones and see what happens.