Dust/Dirt in Headphone Jack?

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
I think the problem that happened with my original iPhone 3G (with the music randomly starting/stopping) is that there was a bunch of dust and junk in the headphone jack because I leave it in my pocket most of the time.

Could this possibly have been why the phone was acting weird? I hope it doesn't happen to my new one...I think I'll make a little paper headphone jack cover to keep it clean.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I guess it's possible, but I've carried my iPhone (first and second gen) in my pocket and never had a problem. I had my first gen for 8 months and am going on my 6th month with the 3G.

Joe

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
There was a recent thread where this problem was mentioned. It seems that the first/primary problem seen when pocket lint builds up in the headphone jack is that the headphone plug won't insert fully which causes the disabling of the mic button. Just clean it out periodically with a paper clip end.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Thanks for the suggestions.

I remember with my original iPhone 3G, I sprayed the crap out of the headphone jack with a can of compressed air and it seemed to help it quite a bit, but it eventually started doing it again. I'll have to be more careful with my current/new replaced one.

Bizzaro

Feb 5, 2009
I have this problem but not with the headphone jack.... Its a problem with lint getting under the main screen. Apple agent said it was from the earspeaker and some how traveled to the screen. It just two or 3 strans nothing big Its always happens to me with every phone i have owned. But its not covered over war so i now tap all the holes at work. I build homes so there a lot of crap flying every dust sand n stuff in the pocket... cant seem to find a case that feets my work load

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
I have this problem but not with the headphone jack.... Its a problem with lint getting under the main screen. Apple agent said it was from the earspeaker and some how traveled to the screen. It just two or 3 strans nothing big Its always happens to me with every phone i have owned. But its not covered over war so i now tap all the holes at work. I build homes so there a lot of crap flying every dust sand n stuff in the pocket... cant seem to find a case that feets my work load

Just got a couple of cases from Sitcheasy.. one of them is called "colors" a simple slip on cover that comes with two plugs.. one for the headphone jack, and another for the connection/charger port.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
A case with built-in protection is best, as port covers are hard to find (at least for the headphone port) and VERY easy to lose (I've lost every dock port protector I've ever bought).

I found this link, which may be useful... but it's really hard to find the headphone protectors

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
A case with built-in protection is best, as port covers are hard to find (at least for the headphone port) and VERY easy to lose (I've lost every dock port protector I've ever bought).

I found this link, which may be useful... but it's really hard to find the headphone protectors
Thanks for the link. I saw that headphone jack protector on ebay. It looks a little dangerous that's why i didn't get it. Do you have this particular headphone jack protector? Would you trust it?

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Do you have this particular headphone jack protector? Would you trust it?
I don't... and honestly, no I probably wouldn't.

You could probably make something that would work with an unused 1/8" plug (from old earbuds or any adapter from radioshack), a pencil eraser, a utility knife, and some crazy glue. Hmmm... I might give this a go later for fun...

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
Just got a couple of cases from Sitcheasy.. one of them is called "colors" a simple slip on cover that comes with two plugs.. one for the headphone jack, and another for the connection/charger port. The same plugs come with the capsule neo.