dust in screen. Hardcore

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
I got a whole lot of dust inside the glass for no reason.. Is this grounds to return to At&t for a new one? I see it as a manufacture defult.... My problem is I have a small scratch on the screen..
What are my chances?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow, I've never heard of dust under the screen unless it was broken. Is your "scratch" something that goes the whole way through the glass or is it only on the surface? Is the dust near that scratch? I think Apple might accept a return depending on your answers to those questions.

CorbyD

Oct 15, 2008
whatever you do, take it to Apple not AT&T

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
yes Iv always had it in my head that AT&T are just useless when it comes to replacesments.: but yes it's just a surface scratch and. No it's all over. The dust started a month after I had it and the scratch just got there another thing that. Bothers me is the screen..it just seems more plasticy and scratch prone

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
take i to Apple and tell them what happened. they already got your money so get what you want out of the deal. If they don't replace it bounce it off the genius' forehead and then apologize. Humans are born to sin ya know! and that whole going to jail thing is way over rate.. JK

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have had this problem as well. It only happened after i started to put my phone in my pocket, and I had a hard case on it, so i think the collected dust was finding a way in. I took it to the Apple store and got a replacement within minutes. They have some of the best customer service.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I am amazed that the dust gets in their at all. You would think that Apple would do a better job at making these devices less prone to this as well as light leakage.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Like I've said, dust under the screen seems to be pretty rare. There are 10 million iPhones out there, and I've only heard of it once or twice on this site.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with Dave. It certainly isn't a widespread issue I would have expected more 3G users to be afflicted with this given the gap problem between the screen and bezel but no. Take it to Apple and hope for the best.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
It is a very widespread problem. I've inspected maybe 50 iPhone 3G's and nearly all of them had dust under the screen. I have already exchanged mine 4 times and everytime after a week or so dust would be under the screen. Its just that most people don't know what to look for unless they are serious cell phone experts/addicts. Take your iPhone 3G and hold it in the sunlight and rotate it to different angles. Chances are you will at least see a few particles. This is a iPhone 3G problem as the regular iPhone does not suffer this issue. FInally the genius said no more exchanges that it is up to spec.:(

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Seems like you have had a lot of time with these iPhone 3G's Dukel. I have yet to see Dust under my screen, I did however take your advice and spin it around a little. I must be lucky with mine so far. I would still advise the Poster to take it into Apple, I would think that would make it right.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Dust under the screen was a widespread problem with Blackberries and both of my previous Blackberries had dust under the screen. I am an expert at seeing dust under screens. I can only speak for My 3g iPhone; it has NO dust under the screen.

Aug 29, 2008
I actually just became a victim of this random issue, I have a fairly serious chunk of dust under mine, at first I thought it was a dead pixel but I have since come to the conclusion that its above the screen itself but under the glass.

So can anyone say safely what would happen if I were to ask for a fix? Going in and asking for it to happen just isn't an option as I live in Ottawa, meaning the closest store is 2 hours away in Montreal(lame, Toronto has 4!).

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I actually just became a victim of this random issue, I have a fairly serious chunk of dust under mine, at first I thought it was a dead pixel but I have since come to the conclusion that its above the screen itself but under the glass.

So can anyone say safely what would happen if I were to ask for a fix? Going in and asking for it to happen just isn't an option as I live in Ottawa, meaning the closest store is 2 hours away in Montreal(lame, Toronto has 4!).
I believe that they will replace it. Before you get in the car though I would double check that your moisture sensor "Look inside the headphone jack" is still white. Doesn't take too much moisture to set that baby off, at which point it doesn't matter what is wrong with the phone, warranty void!

jgomega16

Sep 27, 2008
I just became a victim of the dust, just had a small drop to the ground from maybe 6 inches then looked it over to notice a nice collection of dust almost in the middle of the screen, only really noticeable when the screen is black, or in direct sunlight. Already have a reservation at the genius bar for 8pm tonight.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Wow, I've never heard of dust under the screen unless it was broken.
X2... I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting dust under the screen but then again Im so flippin tired right now I cant even see straight... doh!

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Unfortunately I've got the same problem. Altho I don't feel it's worth my time to exchange it. I suppose if I did unjailbreak my phone, send it in, and get a new one. I would probably get dust under that screen too. :(

speranza

Dec 18, 2008
Sometimes screen protectors can give the effect of dust under the screen, if you have one I recommend you remove it to check before you hand over your shiny new iPhone for a refurb.

I once thought I had HEAPS of dust under my screen, I was stressin hard :S I removed my screen protector and it was spotless, 3 to 4 months later no dust under my hood :p