Dust under iPhone screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drsfinest72, Jul 19, 2008.

1. drsfinest72

drsfinest72 New Member
    Bronze

I'm not the only one that seeing small specks of dust under the screen. I have about 6 specks. This sucks because my phone isn't even a week old! Also I'm not having this problem alone. I was on the macrumors and many people are having this problem also. Can I exchange my iPhone ?

2. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Are you sure they aren't dead pixels? And yes you can replace the phone.

3. drsfinest72

drsfinest72 New Member
    Bronze

One of the specks are diagonal. So it can't be a dead pixel. The others are vertically. And they all seem slightly larger than a single pixel. So how can I find out if it's really a dead pixel ?

4. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Go to this website from your iPhone.

http://www.ipixelcheck.com/

And also, either way if it is dust or a dead pixel, if you take it to Apple, you're still getting a new phone. :)

5. drsfinest72

drsfinest72 New Member
    Bronze

it's not a dead pixel but it's dust like 6 or 7 specks and it's so annoying since I noticed it. So I just go to the Apple store and they would give me a replacement right at the spot ?

6. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

You might want to make an appointment by calling or going online, but once you get there, you want to go to the Genius Bar, tell them your problem, let them check out the phone, and then they'll exchange yours for a new one.

7. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

Some here have said that their bezel is not flush, so that might be the problem.

8. drsfinest72

drsfinest72 New Member
    Bronze

can the dust come through the front of the phone ear piece

9. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

I doubt it. I'm sure theres a guard or something there. After having the original iPhone ever since iDay, and so far of having 3G since July 11th, I've never had any problems with dust under the screen.

10. JPizzzle

JPizzzle New Member
    Bronze

Hey man,
    I was in the same spot that you are in. I found specks of dust under my glass, and returned it for a new iPhone. First I recommend making a genius bar appointment to do this since it has to be looked at by a "genius". Second I would check if the store you are going to has them in stock, I was lucky that they had a new one set aside for service issues. Third be ready to point out the issue. Good luck man.

JP

11. Plastikfear

Plastikfear New Member
    Bronze

Sorry, I did do a search but couldn't come up with anything directly related to my concern. I recently switched from a case to a snap-on clip for my phone and while doing so, some dust got pushed underneath the screen, so now I get to view dust all the time, yay! Any ways to get the dust out of there, without having to go to Apple and have them remove the screen, (or whatever they do)? I should probably get a better case tht protects the space between the bezel so that it doesn't happen even more, but its sort of annoying, and I'm not sure what my options are.

Thanks!

12. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

Some of the early 3G's had a problem with the screen not fitting flush and as a result dust gets under it. This sounds like your problem. If so, Apple will replace the phone with no problem. They are well aware of the issue.
    If you are jailbroken, be sure to restore first.

13. RS1001

RS1001 New Member
    Bronze

Apple will replace Free of Charge. It happened to me and they were very good about it.

14. evolution83

evolution83 Zealot
    Gold

I hate dust under the screen; that's the one thing that drives me nuts about having any phone.

15. Plastikfear

Plastikfear New Member
    Bronze

Awesome. I called Apple and they said to bring it into a store with the box, headphones, charger, etc. and they will either repair right there, or give me a new one.

16. psylichon

psylichon Genius

That's because it's rare!

I loathe dust under the screen... was constantly taking apart my old smartphones to get rid of it. I even broke one in the process one time. Miserable... thank god I've never seen a speck in my 1.5 years with an iPhone.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

RAZRs were notorious for dust under the screen. That was a contributing factor to my user name.

18. Marty Mar

Marty Mar New Member
    Bronze

bah! my screen cracked on the black part on the side, and now i'm getting dust under the screen. it sucks. i'm not even going to approach Apple with a cracked screen.

i'm jealous.

19. Plastikfear

Plastikfear New Member
    Bronze

Back when they moved us from our former AT&T Wireless employee plans into the Cingular Employee Plans me and my buddy bought Razrs. That was the newest, hippest coolest phone back then. Anyway, his went tits up when he got like, a gram of dust under his screen and took it apart to fix it and couldn't get it back together again. By that time I'd already bought another phone so I gave my razr to him (it didn't have dust when I owned it, a whole year and not even a scratch) 2 weeks later he showed the phone to me that I gave him. It had a buttload of dust under the screen. I shook my head in amazement and asked him what his pants pockets do when he's not wearing them, go out to dust devil parties in the desert or something?

:eek:

20. jackz5o

jackz5o New Member
    Bronze

I'm on my 5th iPhone and I have had dust under every single one of them :)