Dust under the screen

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Shirazik

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Irvine, CA
I have a problem here. I just noticed that there are a few specs of dust under my screen. They are rather subtle and are on the top of my phone's screen. Im just wondering if there is anyway to get dust specs out from under the screen and prevent it in the future. thanks

Shirazik

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Irvine, CA
No I'm pretty much positive it's dust because when I change the angle of the phone when I'm looking at it they are not in the same spot. BTW these specs are at the very top of the phone near the battery indicator. These specs don't show when the screen is on the home page (when the background is black) but when the background is gray (like in safari or in the settings menu) they show up, so that also makes me think they are dust specs.

They are only visible if you look for them, but I payed 600 dollars for this I want it to be flawless!:)

Also, does anyone have a very mini gap between the screen and the chrome? just wondering

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I some how also have a spec of dust under the screen near the home button ( In the black part so it is really annoying). Do you think Apple would fix it for free, i mean that shouldnt be happening.

Shirazik

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Irvine, CA
I agree this shouldnt be happening. I am going to the Apple store after work today around 230 so i will let you know what they say. Hopefully there is something they can do I mean I'd its happening already imagine in a few months. Also,does anyone have that gap between the screen and the chrome i wanna know if that is normal

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
take it back...now.

that happened on my RAZR and at first it was a couple specks, but toward the end of my owning it my screen was almost completely covered with dust that was caught under the screen. if there is some hole somewhere where dust is getting through, then it will continue to happen.

Shirazik

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Irvine, CA
great i have to take it back? I hope they don't charge me anything or else I'll throw a fit. This really boggles me that only a WEEK after I get my phone I already have 4 specks of dust on the top...annoying. Oh well at 230 we'll see what the Apple store has to say

Shirazik

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Irvine, CA
alright sweet i asked the guy at the Apple store and he said that as long as its within my 14 days of purchase he will exchange it. I dunno if they will exchange it if the only problem is dust but mine had 2 additional problems so they said ok. Phew im relieved

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
get it replaced if it bothers you that much but as time comes dust will accumulate under the scren if your bold enough read a guy about how to open up the iPhone and then you can get rid of it yourself :)

Jul 8, 2007
I work with touchscreens, the "dust" you are talking about are little dots. These little dots are the guys that make your touchscreen work. If you look at the phone at an angel when the screen is off, you will see that they are all over the screen at set intervals. Give it a try.

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I work with touchscreens, the "dust" you are talking about are little dots. These little dots are the guys that make your touchscreen work. If you look at the phone at an angel when the screen is off, you will see that they are all over the screen at set intervals. Give it a try.
I understand where you are coming from but I actually have dust under my screen because where it is there are no pixels, its really evident when you see the things all the time. I appreciate the response.

mullman

Jul 18, 2007
So far mine is OK, but I am worried about this to.
After about 6 months my razr screen was full of dust and looked horrible.
My Pearl also got dust under the screen, and even in less time.

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
I too also have dust surrounding my home button it is very annoying and I hate it. Has anyone came to a resolution? I have tried everything from q-tip to ::wince:: a pick and no effect at all. I called Apple and they said they couldnt do anything. I haven't brought it into a store yet seeing as how thats a 2 hour drive for me.

Sep 30, 2007
Wow. I just called Apple and arranged to get my 2 day old iPhone replaced due to a speck of dust underneath the glass, directly above the top of the screen. Then I decided to search google and see if other people had the issue, and I found this forum.

I guess it's sort of pointless for me to be getting it replaced because the same thing will happen to my new one, but oh well. At least I know that it's normal.

Oh, and I have a teeny tiny bit of space between the edge of my screen and the chrome metal. The OP was wondering about that. :)

And also, it's not the same distance from the chrome on every side. In some places the screen is touching the chrome, and in others there is a tiny gap. It's weird.

equlizer

Jul 13, 2008
would it be ok to use a small bead of silicone around the edges? I too have this dust problem and don't want it to get worse

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I have one spec of dust on the right side of the home button. it doesn't bother me much but it's still bothering. I also had a razr that had a ton of dust in the screen. I hope Apple can open it up and removie it because I bought my iPhone off craigslist. So I have no warranty.

Geoldr

Sep 29, 2008
I have this same problem. My home button has dust around it, and there is one spec of dust to the right of the home button. I have had this phone for 3 days