DVD converters

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Another question.

I posted earlier about converting DVD to mp4.
I downloaded Handbrake.

Everytime I try to convert a video DVD to an mp4, it gets converted toa m4v file which is useless.

I think I am setting up handbrake correctly, am I missing a step here?

Dana

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Another question.

I posted earlier about converting DVD to mp4.
I downloaded Handbrake.

Everytime I try to convert a video DVD to an mp4, it gets converted toa m4v file which is useless.

I think I am setting up handbrake correctly, am I missing a step here?

Dana
Are you using the 'ipod video' preset?

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
When using the iPod setting in Handbrake, my videos always come out as mp4 files.

The only problem I've ever had is with the audio. A couple of movies I converted had the audio completely drop out half way through the movie. Check your movies after you copy them! A 5-hour flight is NOT the place you want to realize that you have audio problems....trust me on this one ;)

EZDozzit

Sep 25, 2007
I have. It woks great. You can eve hook up your iPhone to the TV and playback the video. Looks pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

smokepsp32

Bronze
Dec 2, 2007
I have used WinAvi video converter to convert video files to Ipod...

and the result, the resolution is not gud for iPhone...

which converter should i used?

nanooreg

Sep 26, 2007
i use CUCUSOFT thanks to iPhoneblogger and it works excellent! so easy!

Last edited by a moderator:

tart17

Jan 29, 2008
I use cucusoft, takes awhile and there is a " Trial Version" watermark on the demo, but I'm gonna try it that way for a little bit.
I converted a few movies so far for my new Nano also and they work great and look wonderful. I would like a free converter that is as good but I'm not finding much of anything good and simple. I have yet to convert one to my iPod touch. Maybe in the next couple days.

Jan 28, 2008
I must admit I'm surprised at how small I can drive the MP4 file, while it remains visually quite acceptable, at least to my eye. I have a large DVD collection and my prime reason for purchasing a Touch, was to watch movies on long plane flights.

I'm using Beautiful Girls as the reference movie. It is about a 4 GIG movie. I use Nero Recode to convert to MP4. I started by targeting a 1 GIG file, 2 passes. Gorgeous. Then I started shrinking the file to 700 megs, 500 megs, 300 megs, and the last one was 200 megs with 2 passes. The quality is STILL fine, as a matter of fact these eyes see very little difference between the 1 GIG quality and the 200 meg quality, in fact I'm not sure I see any at all. I'm going to keep driving smaller, but even at 200 megs, I can stuff some 30-40 movies on my 8 Gig Touch. Cool.