Dec 20, 2007
is there a free dvd to phone ?

what is the best one for the money?

what do you use ( if you use one ?)

thank you for your input....

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
I use handbrake, andI have a PC, and apparently it was designed to be used on a Mac.

It works fine, but it is INCREDIBLY slow.
It takes twice the time to convert a movie than to watch it.
Maybe it's better on a Mac.

Dana

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
twice the time? what are the specs on your PC?

brockly

Bronze
Dec 20, 2007
i cant under stand how to make it work. it keep telling me

big red X no title(s) found. please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source. please refer to the FAQ ( see help menu).
and i goto the FAQ in help and i get this Page WindowsGuiFaq not foundPage WindowsGuiFaq not found

i must be doing something wrong .... :(

brockly

Bronze
Dec 20, 2007
i have a quad-core 2.4 with 2 gig of ram

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i have a quad-core 2.4 with 2 gig of ram
wow, that's surprising. I use Avex (not free, which is why i didn't mention it), and it rips at about 1x or so... and i'm on a crappy Acer laptop (AMD Sempron - 1.6GHz, and integrated video).

i'll have to try out handbrake and see how it compares on my machine.

brockly

Bronze
Dec 20, 2007
but it not slow for me. I just cant get it to run, don't know what i'm doing wrong

ras19064

Jan 27, 2008
Handbrake it also V-E-R-Y slow for me. I converted a music video with a play time of 1hr 37m and it took all day for the process. There has to be a better way.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

# Stage 3 – Selecting a Source file
Firstly what you need to do is click the “Browse” button which is in the Source box. If you're selecting a DVD source simply click "Browse", however if you wish to select an ISO or TS/MPG file then first select the "File" radio selection.
Depending on what option you select, you will either see a file or folder selection window appear.
Assuming you have the DVD option selected, (Thats the default option) you will get a folder dialog box up on the screen. You’ll see the name of the DVD listed followed by a drive letter above. Click the + arrow and you’ll then see a “VIDEO_TS” folder appear below it. Select this and press ok.
If you selected the file option, simply browse to the location where your source input file is located and select it.
Once you've selected your source and clicked "OK" you'll see another window appear. Read what it says then press the "OK" button. You'll see a command prompt window appear behind this window for around 10~60 seconds. Once the DVD has been scanned, you will be returned to the original Handbrake window (as per the first screenshot).

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you're willing to drop some dough on a solution, i can vouch for Avex.

http://www.avex-dvd.com/

like i said, on my very mediocre machine it rips at about 1x speed. The DVD-to-ipod converter (works great for iPhone too) will convert just DVDs for $29, and the DVD-to-ipod-video-suite will convert DVDs and any other video file for $45.

there are free trials, but they only convert 5 or 10 minutes of video.

ras19064

Jan 27, 2008
I'll check it out. I also have Pocket DVD Wizzard that might convert to the right format.
It's tough coming from a PC frame of mind to Apple (probably the same the other way around)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's not the way mine works
well, i just downloaded it and started an encoding following those exact directions. I started at 7:15 central, so we'll see how long it takes... it's about a 90 minute movie (Zoolander).

ras19064

Jan 27, 2008
what I was copying, was a music video (Moody Blues), I don't know if all the audio makes any different than a movie.

I first clicked "show Presets" and highlighted iPhone/Ipod touch

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yep, i did the same thing. a Movie's audio should copy just like a music video's audio.

i'm curious to see how long this takes.