DVI adapter?

Feb 10, 2009
So, I've been wanting to hook up my MacBook to my tv in order to watch movies. I've looked into adapter cables and am not sure which one to purchase. There are several different adapters:

mini-DVI to DVI
mini-DVI to VGA
mini-DVI to Video

I want to make sure and get the right one the first time. If I had to guess, I think the video cable is what I need. What do you recommend?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
depends on which kind of macbook pro you have and what video input on your TV you want to use.

if it's a UniBody MBP, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort adapter to either DVI or VGA (depending on your TV's inputs). Your TV will either have a VGA input (blue trapezoidial plug) or HDMI. If it's HDMI you'll also need a DVI->HDMI adapter to chain onto the Mini DisplayPort->DVI adapter.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm not sure if you are interested or not, but this got me thinking about how much I love my PS3. If you got one, you wouldn't have to bother connecting you MacBook to the TV. You can stream your media wirelessly to to PS3 (for viewing on theTV), save media to a flash drive and copy it to the PS3's hard drive, play Blu ray discs on it, as well as play games on it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Ps3 will only play certain media formats though.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I have a question about this. I have my 2.4 MacBook and a 32'' Vizio tv . How bad is it gonna look if i hook my MB to my Vizio ? I know the MacBook isn't going to work as well on a larger screen as a MBP would but would it be worth the investment of the Mini dvi >Hdmi connection?

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
Here a side by side of my Alum Macbook and my Samsung 1080i. Looks pretty good. mini-display to DVI to HDMI hookup.

iPhone 3g shot

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
have you tried changing the aspect ratio on your TV? Usually there's a setting called "Just" that will fit the picture to your screen much better.

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
have you tried changing the aspect ratio on your TV? Usually there's a setting called "Just" that will fit the picture to your screen much better.

I tried to look for one but the only thing that was available was 16:9 or 4:3. The TV looks like it has a wider screen aspect ratio. There might be an adjustment for for VGA input, if i remember, but not HDMI. I only use the tv screen for movies or Photoshop extended desktop anyways.

Feb 10, 2009
I don't have a MBP it's just a 13" Macbook. That makes a difference?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no, for some reason i thought you said you had a MBP.

i think the aluminum macbooks have the same mini displayport.